need some help with temp basal

sandy90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello can anyone help me I am going into hospital on Thursday and will not be aloud to eat any food for 24 hours on Wednesday will only be aloud fluids I have got to take 2 laxatives that day one at 7am the other at 7pm I need to do a temp basal but am not sure how to do one the temp basal will only need to be done on Wednesday but if anyone can help and explain in detail I would really like your help can anyone help me

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @sandy90 What insulin pump are you on ? Also has your Dsn given you guidance on what to reduce it to ?

Personally if I had to do a temp basal on my 640g I would create a new basal profile and then apply the % reduction on the rates so wouldn’t change the current just add a new profile for the reduction so it’s easy switching back when you want to.

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The basal covers your needs when not eating. When you eat carbs you take a bolus to cover this. I may be ignorant of the reasons so sorry for asking why you need to alter your basal? If I had to do it for just 1 day, I would use the % change designed for exercise or health events

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @andi140373 a temp basal would be required due to inactivity.