Coconut Oil

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've bought a big ol' bucket of Coconut Oil, and besides cooking with it I don't know how to eat it! Anyone got any good recipes for Coconut Oil that I can try? I'd like to up my intake of it but don't know how. Are there any recipes that include cream and dark chocolate?

Cheers!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's brilliant on hair. All the Asian girls I taught over the years used it. It's great on skin too. Just spread it on after the shower and you'll be soft as a baby's bottom. Speeds up the drying too.

catedias

Coconut is always been said as tree of life because of all of it's parts has many use. It is also been use for cooking and also good for making ice cream. And not just that, it contains vitamins which help the body fatigue.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the other 10%?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can you tell me where to buy it? I have tried a Sainsburys, Waitrose and Co Op today to no avail.

Thanks.

Ali

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ali H said:
Hi, can you tell me where to buy it? I have tried a Sainsburys, Waitrose and Co Op today to no avail.

Thanks.

Ali

I've seen it at my local Health Food store, Asian Food stores, Tesco, Asda and you can also buy it from many online retailers.

A link here as we cannot advertise:

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt= ... e_uk&rd=r2

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, will dive out to our big Tesco in a bit, if they don't have it nobody will in this area lol.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got some in our 24 hour Tesco so will have a go tomorrow.

Ali

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Was gonna say I'd recently seen it in Tesco - only small (maybe 150ml tubs) but I'm quite sure it was unrefined coconut oil. (You'll know if it is, because it'll be practically solid, and very coconutty (new word - I got dibs on coconutty! :wink: )).

Quite expensive to buy it in those size tubs - but perfect to test with!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Almond bark - It isn't bad is it. Definitely needs to stay in the fridge as soon falls apart otherwise!

Ali

mike944

Can I ask why you folk are all eating Coconut Oil? As I pointed out earlier it seems to be one of the oils that has the highest % of saturated fat. Even lard has half the saturated fat of Coconut Oil. Is there some health benefit that isn't apparently obvious?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason I use Coconut Oil? well, it as all following some research I have done, indicating that the medium chain triglycerides in Coconut Oil are actually very healthy. I'm also happy to believe (following my own research) that saturated fat is NOT the demon it is made out to be.

That is the reason I eat coconut oil.

Lets not let this thread deteriorate into another sat. fat argument. Let's just leave it as it is - a resource for those of us that are using Coconut Oil.

Peace, Love & Coconut Creammmmm...

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I figure I am eating so little of it it hardly matters.

Ali

Posy

The best coocnut oil is sold on line. I can give you the address if you PM me, All the reasons for using it are on their extensive site
I have been using it for several years. In cooking and skin care. The supermarket ones I tried did not have the lovely coconutty smell or taste of the organic one I normally purchase :D

janeislay

Coconut Chocolate Stuff (by Rose Elliot)
100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Could you possibly melt 90% proof dark chocolate into that, Jane? in addition to or instead of the raw cocoa? and a drop of dark rum? and serve with extra-thick cream?

Viv :)