Injection lump

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I just injected my nightly levemir dose and there was blood after I injected and now a pea sized lump. I either hit a blood vessel or didn't push the needle all the way in I guess. Will it still absorb ok. Has anyone else had this happen before ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sharrryn Yes it's happened to me too, hit a blood vessel and got a lump, it should absorb fine, just a rare event to hit one, you can always correct with novorapid if it doesn't absorb though, but shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharrryn Yes it's happened to me too, hit a blood vessel and got a lump, it should absorb fine, just a rare event to hit one, you can always correct with novorapid if it doesn't absorb though, but shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the reassurance. I am starting a pump break and have gone back to injections for a while and it freaked me out !!!

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
Hi
I just injected my nightly levemir dose and there was blood after I injected and now a pea sized lump. I either hit a blood vessel or didn't push the needle all the way in I guess. Will it still absorb ok. Has anyone else had this happen before ?

Hi, Dont worry about it too much, it happens to all of us sometimes. The lump will probably go down in an hour or so, giving it a good massage with your thumb sometimes helps. Just keep an eye on your levels for a couple of hours, as you may have injected a bit shallow, and not put the dose into the subcutaneous fat where it is supposed to be. this may affect how quickly it is absorbed, and could throw your readings out. Generally though it will clear itself soon enough.
If you do hit a blood vessel it generally causes a larger flatter swelling, with a bruise, (painful but goes away in a couple of days)
Welcome to diabetic life!!!