Higher than normal levels with a cold

Tord0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have gone in a week at 5.pm in the evening from between 6.7 and 7.9 to 9 and 10. I started a cold on Sunday, on Friday I walked 1.25 miles and 37 minutes, in the past few weeks it has been dropping my levels, Friday it made no difference. Stopped dapagliflozin because of permanent thrush, want me to start Victoza injection. So upset as I thought I had it under control.

Has anyone else notice a rise in sugar levels when suffering with a dry cough and cold.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else notice a rise in sugar levels when suffering with a dry cough and cold.
Hi Tord0,
When you are ill there is usual a rise in blood sugar. One of the most common things is dehydration, which raises blood sugar. That's why your told to drink plenty of fluids. :nurse:
:bag:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, any infection, be it bacterial, viral or even fungal can raise blood glucose levels. Get well soon.

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Iv just had the same dilemma, give it a few days it will go back to normal, took 3 days for mine to go back to normal.

D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect BG.
Food is the obvious, but our BG is also affected by time of day, month, year, alcohol, drugs, exercise, stress, illness, ...
So it is no surprise when Bg is raised when you have a cold.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
When I have had a cold and sore throat, my levels are higher, then return to lower numbers when better. Even nightmares can raise your BG levels or having a bad night not sleeping.

damianpclow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have gone in a week at 5.pm in the evening from between 6.7 and 7.9 to 9 and 10. I started a cold on Sunday, on Friday I walked 1.25 miles and 37 minutes, in the past few weeks it has been dropping my levels, Friday it made no difference. Stopped dapagliflozin because of permanent thrush, want me to start Victoza injection. So upset as I thought I had it under control.

Any illness will change your blood sugars as you are fighting with a decreased immune system. Having a reading of 10 is nothing to worry about. I struggle to control my blood sugars as I have a recurring infection and c-diff so I cant have antibiotics atm, my readings are anything between 5 and 30+