Prediabetes Just an "I ate this and this happened..." Question

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I hope this is the correct thread for this, but here goes....

Un-diagnosed but likely pre-diabetic. Been going fairly strict LCHF for quite a few months with cheat meals here and there (but not too often). Waking BS is usually around 5.9, and if I don't eat, it steadily drops all morning...if I keep my carbs low...rarely goes above 6 even after low carb meals etc. With some IF and LC, I can keep my BS low 5s with some effort.

Anyways, last evening thought I would try a "pasta" night (just because - guests and stuff) and here are the results....

Was around a 5.5 when I started eating. Was a fairly fatty red sauce (lots of butter) with tomatoes/onion. Served with Italian sausage (quite fatty) on papperdelle pasta. Extra olive oil and Parmesan cheese (of course).

About 1.5 hour later, BS had only risen to 6.1. But by 2.5 hours later was at 8.3, and 3.5 hours later was at 9.0, then slowly started dropping....

Just really looking for any comments on the range of BS that happened, if it "makes sense" etc. I keep reading on the site here that after 2 hours it should have dropped back down, but also read fat can delay etc etc.

Perhaps the whole BS testing was of no real value and should only test with LFHC type experiments etc.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that BS underwrites an awful lot of T2's control. I don't know how long you have been testing. The thing about testing is that it lets you understand how your body reacts to what you've eaten. It is not going to be the same every time you eat a certain combination of foods, there are other factors in play.
Your example, where you've tested considerably after 2 hours is a good one to show what can happen. Pasta will more often than not for T2 cause a spike. This one appears to be delayed against the 2 hour standard. I think the 2 hours standard is only a useful one off measurement when the tester is a bit more experienced in their own results. When I first started testing it would be every 30 minutes for 2 hours and then 3 and 4 hour tests, if I was still awake. After about 1 year of eating and testing I did drop the tests and went for the 2 hour test for meals I was pretty certain I knew what the response was going to be. If I ate anything unusual I would do more testing just to see and record.

damianpclow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope this is the correct thread for this, but here goes....

Un-diagnosed but likely pre-diabetic. Been going fairly strict LCHF for quite a few months with cheat meals here and there (but not too often). Waking BS is usually around 5.9, and if I don't eat, it steadily drops all morning...if I keep my carbs low...rarely goes above 6 even after low carb meals etc. With some IF and LC, I can keep my BS low 5s with some effort.

Anyways, last evening thought I would try a "pasta" night (just because - guests and stuff) and here are the results....

Was around a 5.5 when I started eating. Was a fairly fatty red sauce (lots of butter) with tomatoes/onion. Served with Italian sausage (quite fatty) on papperdelle pasta. Extra olive oil and Parmesan cheese (of course).

About 1.5 hour later, BS had only risen to 6.1. But by 2.5 hours later was at 8.3, and 3.5 hours later was at 9.0, then slowly started dropping....

Just really looking for any comments on the range of BS that happened, if it "makes sense" etc. I keep reading on the site here that after 2 hours it should have dropped back down, but also read fat can delay etc etc.

Perhaps the whole BS testing was of no real value and should only test with LFHC type experiments etc.
It makes sense. tomatoes are a fruit and contain naturally occurring sugars and the carb in the rest would probably have been released at differing times so would keep your sugars going up for a while.