blood sugars fluctuating

gbswales

I am returning to posting here after a short absence. I am type 2 insulin controlled and my "normal" control is Lantus 50 units at night and 22-24 units 3 times a day with meals, Lately some readings are not making sense to me for example I find I need to have a night time level of not less than 10 otherwise I would normally wake up with hypo level 2.9-3.5 in the morning. However this morning I woke up with a higher level than normal 11.3 (when I say morning it was actually close to mid day when I woke up) so I had a light breakfast (small bowl of cereal milk and small glass of orange juice and took 24 units of insulin - 2 hours later my levels had nearly doubled to 19.7. I would have thought that 24 units of insulin should have coped with breakfast but I reached a level that I would expect if I forgot the insulin (I know didn't because I have a pen cap that registers the times I use it). There have been other times when I have over indulged but found that my levels dropped much lower than expected.

I did experiment with low carbing for almost a year but while I did achieve lower levels I still experienced unexpected drops/rises. Eventually I returned to a normal diet partly because I was bored with low carb alternatives to my favorite foods but mainly because I found myself cooking more and I hate cooking. I have a much better picture of my diabetes now that I am using free style libre sensors which confirm to me that my sugars do not always go in the direction I expect based on intake and insulin given.

I suspect that the fact I suffered from chronic pancreatitis about 10 years ago may have left my pancreas behaving erratically delivering varying levels of natural insulin which throw out any calculations I do. Another theory is that I have quite a stressful relationship with my partner and I have been told stress can change levels. Ideally what I would like to do is to maintain my levels between 4.0 and 10.0 with an average of 6 -7 but am finding it difficult to achieve this on 3 meals a day. I also have an erratic sleep pattern resulting in me often being awake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours and then sleeping in later.

Would welcome any advice on stabilising levels

D

Deleted Account

A few thoughts
- do you really go low at night? Some people have noticed Libre reporting low readings due to pressure lying on them when you are asleep. The only way to tell is to set an alarm and finger prick.
- is you basal insulin (Lantus) set at the correct dose? Falling from 10 to 4 overnight suggests you may be taking too much Lantus. A basal test would help you tell.
- did I correctly understand you only take Lantus but you take it 4 times a day? Thus seems unusual because Lantus is a slow acting insulin that lasts 24 hours and does not need to be taken with food.
- as a type 1, when my BG gets high (over 15);I become insulin resistant and need to take more insulin to bring my BG down. I do not know whether the same is true for type 2.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am returning to posting here after a short absence. I am type 2 insulin controlled and my "normal" control is Lantus 50 units at night and 22-24 units 3 times a day with meals, Lately some readings are not making sense to me for example I find I need to have a night time level of not less than 10 otherwise I would normally wake up with hypo level 2.9-3.5 in the morning. However this morning I woke up with a higher level than normal 11.3 (when I say morning it was actually close to mid day when I woke up) so I had a light breakfast (small bowl of cereal milk and small glass of orange juice and took 24 units of insulin - 2 hours later my levels had nearly doubled to 19.7. I would have thought that 24 units of insulin should have coped with breakfast but I reached a level that I would expect if I forgot the insulin (I know didn't because I have a pen cap that registers the times I use it). There have been other times when I have over indulged but found that my levels dropped much lower than expected.

I did experiment with low carbing for almost a year but while I did achieve lower levels I still experienced unexpected drops/rises. Eventually I returned to a normal diet partly because I was bored with low carb alternatives to my favorite foods but mainly because I found myself cooking more and I hate cooking. I have a much better picture of my diabetes now that I am using free style libre sensors which confirm to me that my sugars do not always go in the direction I expect based on intake and insulin given.

I suspect that the fact I suffered from chronic pancreatitis about 10 years ago may have left my pancreas behaving erratically delivering varying levels of natural insulin which throw out any calculations I do. Another theory is that I have quite a stressful relationship with my partner and I have been told stress can change levels. Ideally what I would like to do is to maintain my levels between 4.0 and 10.0 with an average of 6 -7 but am finding it difficult to achieve this on 3 meals a day. I also have an erratic sleep pattern resulting in me often being awake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours and then sleeping in later.

Would welcome any advice on stabilising levels

I'm not versed on taking insulin in whatever form. So I may be totally wrong.
However fluctuating blood glucose levels are not good.
Because you are on insulin, your pancreas is supposed to be lacking to provide enough insulin to dispose of the glucose derived from your food and adjust accordingly.
It seems to me despite your choice of diet that it just not working so. Regardless of dosage you still have big highs and sudden drops.
You need to see your GP. Because I believe you need tests again.
When was your last review?

I believe you have started producing more effective insulin from your pancreas and only your health advisors will know your history.

Best wishes.

gbswales

Sorry if I confused - I take lantus at night and nova rapid with meals. The issue really for me is inconsistency for example last night when I took my lantus dose at 11.00 pm my levels were 12.7 which was what I expected as we did not eat until 8.30 pm - I checked it again just before sleeping at 3.00 am (I have difficulty in sleeping) and it had dropped to 11.9 but when I woke up at 11.30 it had gone back up 12.4 looking at the pattern on libre it stayed more or less constant through the night even though I ate nothing. Generally I would have expected the morning reading to be anything between 4.0 - 8.0. I am going through a lot of stress at the moment (relationship) which is not likely to change any time soon - could this be the cause?
I don't normally see my doctor for diabetes but use the hospital annual clinic to monitor it. What is a basal test - I don't think I have ever had one - the clinic changed me from novamix to nova rapid + lantus several years ago as it suited my non regular lifestyle better because of variable meal and sleep times

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@gbswales
Hi, I'm a T2 but don't take insulin. Just wondering if you have varying degrees of fats with your meals. I've noticed that fats cause my sugar level to rise much later but not as high and stay elevated for longer. Could that have an impact on timing of your insulin shot.
Glenn