Novorapid Allergic?

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been using novorapid for 15 years I suffer from dizziness and breathlessness I am trying to find out what other insulins I can use. I have tried an over counter antihistamine and feel better but affect wears off later in the day. is there a specific antihistamine for insulin users? Although I would prefer not to have to take.

Also using an omnipod the pattern is after eating and bolusing I feel jaded and head feels tight I feel it's exacerbated by larger amounts of novorapid insulin. Any change I make to temporary basal I feel unwell when the dose reverts back to ,slightly higher dose.

I was initially on humalog mix 17 years go but didn't get on with that.

Fed up of feeling unwell I am seeing dsn tomorrow I have discussed how I feel but she says not insulin. I most certainly think it is.

Any advice is appreciated.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Are you sure it’s the insulin that’s causing it? Have you consulted a doctor?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tracie1212 Agree with Fairy, I would consult your GP first and foremost to rule out any other probable causes first.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus made me feel breathless but I'm not sure if it was specifically lantus or just whether this is what diabetes and insulin feels like normally. I still take novorapid, it could be that. I changed basal and it didn't totally fix the problem it's just less bad. Combine that with lack of exercise and inability to eat anything and anyone would feel bad.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Instead of Humalog mix straight Humalog or apedra might be better

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lots of conditions can cause breathlessness: anaemia, lack of stored glucose, stress, certain kinds of malnutrition, thyroid imbalance, muscle weakness . . . IMO it’s best to have a comprehensive blood test and try to narrow the options. We often have T1 uppermost in our consciousness and fail to consider all the other things the human form is prey to.
Don’t want to be depressive here - if’s it’s broke, fix it!

Reactions: EllieM

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh, and low blood pressure can make you feel weak, faint and breathless too. When was the last time that was taken? The doc should do it 3 times as the first can be higher because you’re keyed up but the next two readings should see you a little more relaxed.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get nauseous with novorapid over a certain amount. When I have meals that need a high bolus I have started splitting it. It hits me about 15 mins after the injection.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I saw my dsn yesterday who has changed my
Insulin to Apidra I collect tomorrow from pharmacy. Fingers crossed it helps me to feel better.

I have been feeling so unwell I decided to put in a temporary basal of +5% on my omnipod this morning and feel better than before adjustment.
I am 5ft 2 and smallest of changes affect me. This has helped me get through the day I have set temporary basal for another two hours mindful of any overlaps. I had breakfast but only cream crackers for lunch., I am monitoring levels closely. My levels have been great I am sure you will all agree it's not one size fits all its about feeling well too.

Thanks for your advice good to know always someone in forum to help.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
First day of using Apedra feel very tired and thirsty but noticed this when I started using omnipod with novorapid. Early days yet - how long does body take to adjust using a different insulin?