Cauliflower rice query!

squishee

Hi

Does anyone know how best to make cauliflower "rice" if one does not possess a microwave?!

I'm making chilli for dinner tonight I'd really like to try this - I'm fed up of having my chilli with shredded cabbage or salad! :roll:

Standard advice says grate the cauli, then nuke.
Perhaps if I grate the cauli, then steam in a parchment paper-lined sieve? Or would this add too much moisture? :? I've seen lots of advice on how important it is to leave water out when microwaving, or it goes soggy.

Please help!!
Thanks,
Squishee

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Squishee!

I do mine in a wok / frying pan, with a small amount of oil (sometimes I add garlic, onion and spices too). Just cook it on a fairly low heat so that it doesn't get too brown, as it takes a little while to go soft.

Enjoy :)

Jessie. x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I just cook mine as normal (ie, boil or steam, in florets) then just mash like potato. Just don't puree it.

Viv :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had any luck with th eCauli rice. :( When I try grating it it just turns to powder!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try chopping it finely with a knife, a bit tedious but it stops it from breaking down too much. And try not to over cook it!

Jessie. x

jaykay

Never liked cauliflower rice-bleargh! :evil: Instead I grate courgette (in the big hole section) and fry it in a little butter for a couple of minutes. I either eat it just like that or add a desertspoon of basmati rice and mix it all in. Yumminess! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fried in a pan with a light spray of extra virgin olive oil, a few cloves of garlic and some mixed herbs and spices should take away the bland flavour of cauliflower rice, not a fan myself but do love boiled or steamed cauliflower and broccoli even better.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been stir frying broccoli and cauli lately and having that with a curry.

REALLY good tip here - I take a bottle of good olive oil, squirt into that a tablespon of lazy garlic, and a tablespoon of lazy chilli. Shake it up really well before use, and anything you fry in it tastes like it's come straight from Thailand!

Gona try it with some basil, etc...

jaykay

Patch, try it with root ginger ( or lazy ginger :lol: ) too. Chilli, ginger and garlic stir fried with ANYTHING is food of the gods and the smell........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe I didn't think of that! :oops:

Will do next time I fill the bottle.

The good thing about the "lazy" stuff, is that as well as finely chopped bits that settle to the bottom of the bottle once mixed with the oil, the pureed part gets absorbed by the oil.

squishee

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice! :D Love the idea of the flavoured oil, that's something I'll definitely be trying!

In the end I was a little short of time, so I just steamed the cauli florets over OH's rice, and mashed it roughly once it was cooked. Was quite nice, but a little bland. I also found it's lack of flavour seemed to mask the flavour of my chilli, which was a bit odd! :?
Next time I will try flavouring the cauli with herbs etc.

Thanks again!

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
I tried it just boiled, then mashed with a little butter a some creme fraiche which gave it a nice tang.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Butter, black pepper and a little - or a lot - of nutmeg!

Viv :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you could make a MEAN fried rice version of this. Grated cauli, dash of soy sauce, some toasted sesame oil and some peas n' egg all in a wok/frying pan.

Flavour of the sesame oil and soy should make it taste like the real thing...

<<drool>>

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Patch said:
I'm sure you could make a MEAN fried rice version of this. Grated cauli, dash of soy sauce, some toasted sesame oil and some peas n' egg all in a wok/frying pan.

Flavour of the sesame oil and soy should make it taste like the real thing...

<<drool>>

I fried some onion and mushrooms with a couple of cloves, crushed cardamom pods and steeped saffron (turmeric in place of the saffron would give the colour but not the flavour). Mixed them with the cauliflower and added a handful of toasted flaked almonds. Served with chicken madras as a sort of pillau rice - worked really well.

Smidge

mattkemp

Wow ! That's an awesome recipe . I usually just fry the cauliflowers in a pan after sauteing onions and some chilly powder . Never thought about mushrooms as such . Just came to know about the benefits of cauliflowers in this article - (Google) lifemojo cauliflower Never dreamt about the fact that it has anti-cancer properties .