Medtrum - the new low cost CGM solution now being sold

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To answer a few of these questions, I've spoken to various people at Medtrum over the past 18 months or so, so let's see what we can take away from this:

One other interesting factoid is the 7 or 14 day usage mentioned above. I asked about this and she explained that each sensor will only last for 7 days (half the life of a Libre sensor). However, you can choose whether the transmitter will run for 7 or 14 days.
The sensors are warrantied for 7 days. In the app it says they have x/7 left to run. When we get to Monday I'll see what the 14 day option does.

Conversations with various Medtrum people indicate that the sensors are restartable, so very much in line with what we all do with the current Dexcom sensors (note that this doesn't appear possible with the G6). Again, I'll feedback on that when I get to it.

I am very curious to see whether the Medtrum varies in accuracy over the life of the sensor, because that is exactly what happens to me, with the Libre, which is most accurate between days 3 and 13 of the sensor life.
This one is interesting. For me so far, there are two clear phases on the sensor. Days 1-3 and day 4 onwards.
  • Days 1-3 have really bad Mean Absolute Variation from Blood (VfB), as the article shows, and perhaps more disconcerting is that the Mean VfB is skewed heavily to overestimating levels.
  • Day 4 showed a marked calming in the sensor's response, and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Yesterday the values showed a Mean VfB of around 8.8%, in line with the manufacturer's stated MARD, compared to the Dexcom's 7.8%
What this means is that the overall Mean Absolute Relative Difference on the Medtrum is currently running at around 12%, where the Median is showing at 9%.I'm interested in seeing how it performs over the next couple of days.

Across all data, the Mean VfD (ie the directional average rather than the average of absolute values) for the A6 is 7.0% versus 0.1% for the G5, which means that there is a significant skew to over reporting the value and therefore causing people to treat a non-existent higher value and risk hypoing. This is most pronounced effects are in the first three days of data. The 4th is more aligned with the Dexcom's variance.

The ordering process is a little annoying, I'll give you that... ;)

Reactions: Brunneria

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The sensors look pretty bulky so potential to get 'knocked off' looks high, however the fact it can be used with an iphone (regardless of model) is a plus, price wise it's on a par with the libre when bought through Superdrug who are retailing at £35. It would have to stand up to 14 days though to have a fighting chance and a price drop would also help.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The sensors look pretty bulky so potential to get 'knocked off' looks high, however the fact it can be used with an iphone (regardless of model) is a plus, price wise it's on a par with the libre when bought through Superdrug who are retailing at £35. It would have to stand up to 14 days though to have a fighting chance and a price drop would also help.
I thought similar about the size of the transmitter. It stands about 2mm higher than the Dexcom G5, however, the pictures in the blog over-accentuate the difference. So far I've caught it a couple more times than the Dexcom, but it's very solidly attached. There will be a later review regarding life of the sensor, both physically and hopefully better view on overall accuracy over its life.

Reactions: Juicyj

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Conversations with various Medtrum people indicate that the sensors are restartable,

Now that is very interesting! Which day is yours due to run out so I can bombard you with questions :woot:

Was talking to the OH last night about it, came to the conclusion that IF I have any spare money at the end of the month I might just go for the 1 sensor and 1 transmitter offer..........and then the realisation set in - when do I ever have any spare money!?!? :hilarious::(

Reactions: Diakat and Juicyj

Hollywood 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am following this with interest. My son has been recently diagnosed 2 months ago with type 1 age 9. We are having a trial of the medtrum A6 cgm in a couple of week. If all goes well we will fund it ourselves. We have struggled to get hold of a libre and as a parent the fact I can monitor him from my phone whilst not with him and the alerts feature could provide enormous peace of mind .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Brunneria , I hadn't seen your response until now.

I've put the threado Watch now to ensure I keep up with all the developments.

Thanks @tim2000s for being our eternal, selfless gizmo and med tester.

ccwood001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haha! I did indeed ask how long a transmitter would last, and got the stock phrase 'it has a year's warranty'.
So I would have every expectation that it should be still functioning if it ran for 52 consecutive sensors, with however many recharges during that period. But that is my interpretation. The lady on the phone just gave me the warranty statement.

My mental arithmatic breaks the cost down to approx £2 a week if you bought it on the current special offer, and more than double that if you bought it at the standard cost of £225.

I haven't found a webpage with any way to buy online, except for that pesky non-functioning Test page.
Looks like at the moment, ordering may be only over the phone.
I would imagine that they will add online ordering as the demand increases.

When I rang them I used the phone number Tim gives in his review (link in OP of this thread)

Hi I have seen a rep today at a pump day and they are £140 for 4 which can be set for 14 days via the app and restarted, although 7 days is what they tell patients. The inserter is attached to the sensor for single use and the transmitter is free with a 1 yr warranty. I am going to try them as currently have a Medtronic G6 which has not been very accurate for me. Finger crossed this is better recommend by my pump team also so fingers crossed.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have seen a rep today at a pump day and they are £140 for 4 which can be set for 14 days via the app and restarted, although 7 days is what they tell patients. The inserter is attached to the sensor for single use and the transmitter is free with a 1 yr warranty. I am going to try them as currently have a Medtronic G6 which has not been very accurate for me. Finger crossed this is better recommend by my pump team also so fingers crossed.

Transmitter is free? (If you buy 4 sensors) really!?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Transmitter is free? (If you buy 4 sensors) really!?
No, not really. £225 for the starter pack of 4 sensors and 1 transmitter. Effectively the sensors cost £25 when you buy the transmitter.

My first sensor is due to end today. Will keep you updated with what happens. For what it's worth, my variation from blood values have generally been higher than lower, so in the event of lows, it has been reading significantly above the hypo level, where the Dexcom G5 reads below the real value, which is definitely safer.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken a punt and just ordered 1 sensor and 1 transmitter, will keep this post updated as and when. Just hope I don't react to the adhesive! And I'm now skint :eek:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well the sensor has continued quite happily in the official app beyond the 7 days (I'd set it to 14). It's accuracy remains different to the Dexcom G5 though, and the app has a constant reminder that the sensor is expired.

In different news, I've established that the Medtrum connection to their easyview server uses TLSv1.2 encryption, so we need to do a man in the middle approach to get the details of what's needed in trying to get the data out and into NightScout.

bruce_no1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm interested in moving to a CGM from the Freestyle Libre I currently use and was in conversation with Medtrum last year, but the S6 did not become available.

I was wondering @tim2000s how the accuracy results were during the 7 - 14 day period? as the 14 day sensor useage is the key for me to making it affordable.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Received the sensor and transmitter yesterday which was earlier than anticipated, read the manual, charged the transmitter, watched the videos, re-read the manual - had the app already, got things set the way I wanted (even setup the wifes phone to be able to see if I'm still alive) and then stepped through the insertion process. Something went wrong! Could I connect up the transmitter when clicked into the sensor? no joy what so ever, thought it was my phones Bluetooth or something or perhaps it hadn't charged up properly.

Eventually took a look at the applicator tube and what I thought was the needle sticking out was in fact the sensor filament.........it hadn't deployed correctly, somehow the actual sensor bit was stuck in the tube so the transmitter wasn't connected to anything. (which begs the question, so where's the needle? :meh:)

Spoke to Yadi first thing this morning (which is a nice way to start the day as she is so nice) and apparently this is the first time this has happened (it would be me wouldn't it!), we talked through the process, she explained that perhaps the orange markers weren't lined up correctly, I thought they were, and she said the tube should come away easily, which I thought it did but being my first time I have nothing to gauge it by. She was worried that perhaps their instructions aren't clear enough, having read and watched the videos I'd say they're pretty spot on - even if I did fail!

They are sending me a replacement sensor. hopefully it'll get to me for the weekend! I'm still wearing the 'blank' sensor to see if I re-act to the glue.

:arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit I am dying to place and order and have a go.
So far I am still controlling myself and resisting.

The main attraction, for me:
- Tim's data suggests it reads high rather than low. The Libre ALWAYS reads low for me, giving me a false sense of security. I would much rather have higher readings that motivate me to better control. I realise this is in direct opposition to Tim's comments, but then I am not insulin dependent.
- the transmittor would communicate with my phone and give auto readings without having to zap like the Libre does.

The main deterrent:
Cost, hassle, new untried technology. Yet another learning curve. A bigger widget stuck on the arm. Potential reaction to glue. I have been incredibly lucky (so far) not to react to the Libre glue. Long may it continue!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria apart from the initial outlay which isn't that bad with their current offer(can't believe I said that! :greedy:) on-going costs are in the same order of the Libre if you extend the life of the sensor baring any accuracy issues.......... @tim2000s ?

Size wise the transmitter isn't that big, I think the pictures they show make it look bigger than it actually is, obviously I've not worn it in anger and out in the wild as such! But I was quite pleasantly surprised when I opened the box.

I guess you have 2 options, go with medtrum and the new gadget which you can stick just about anywhere and hope sensor life is close to 2 weeks or carry on with the Libre on your arm and if you want it on your phone without flashing use the bluecon device (i'm not sure size wise if it'll make it that much smaller than a transmitter) & if your phone is android you can use x-drip with it which is a bonus (improves accuracy) and you can still 'flash' if you want.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So they have said the failure of the sensor is down to human error (that'll be me then!) - because I placed it libre-esque on the back of my upper arm, where it must have hit on a hard surface like the muscle.........hmmmmmmm.......that's right I'm a rippling mass of pure muscle o_O

But to maintain a good customer relationship they are sending me a replacement. (Or they are frightened this muscle monster might just turn up on their doorstep......) but they do not routinely replace sensors.

I'm waiting for further advice from them regarding placement over and above whats in the user guide.

My emotions with this are just like my BG graph (if I had one!) - up and down, up and down......

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have attached my results from my Medtrum CGM compared to my Freestyle Lite Blood monitor machine, I agree with Tim the sensor can be used more than the 7 Days but the warranty is only for the 7. My results have been pretty okay the last few days much accurate than the Libre was, I have found not to keep calibrating as for the first few days i was doing this to try and keep it in line with my Bloods, I advise not to do this.There is a lag once i have Eaten and Bolused but the Medtrum then does catch up. I will be having more sensors from them in the future and have been told that their will be watch version coming out soon. Another competitor to the Libre keep it coming.

Attachments

• Diabetic Results.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 451

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
where can you order them from?