Breakfast

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey all,

i have been struggling to figure out a good breakfast option for me as a type 1 diabetic. i’m currently on novarapid for fast acting insulin and levemir for long acting. i usually have porridge but that always sends me with high blood sugars after. this morning i had honey hoops (cereal) and that sent me way way higher. what is a good breakfast option for blood sugars??

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could try putting cream in your porridge to see if that helps stop you having such a high BG 2 hours later.

Other than that, you'd be better sticking to something like bacon and egg. You could try toast along with it and see how that goes. Unfortunately, before I went on the pump, even toast gave me a high BG 2 hours after breakfast.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
also anything seems to affect my sugars. i have tried egg and bacon without injecting as no carbs but my sugars still rise. and for lunch i have salad which is 3g of carbs and tuna and they still rise??

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
also anything seems to affect my sugars. i have tried egg and bacon without injecting as no carbs but my sugars still rise. and for lunch i have salad which is 3g of carbs and tuna and they still rise??
If your BG rises by more than 2 to 3 after 2 hours then you should probably give insulin for the protein you eat. Just as different people require different carb ratios, I think it's similar for protein. Someone else may be able to give you some idea of what to do for protein. If it was me, I would work it out according to how much of a correction I needed for particular amounts/types of protein.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @emily deacon i avoid cereals and porridge nowadays as can’t cope with the spike - I now either have greek yoghurt and blueberries or low carb bread and take around 6-10g of carbs with a bolus, spike stays low, you would need a bolus for your eggs and bacon due to the protein though.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hey all,

i have been struggling to figure out a good breakfast option for me as a type 1 diabetic. i’m currently on novarapid for fast acting insulin and levemir for long acting. i usually have porridge but that always sends me with high blood sugars after. this morning i had honey hoops (cereal) and that sent me way way higher. what is a good breakfast option for blood sugars??

How are you feeling this morning, as good, as one can expect to be with this condition, I hope?

Hi emily deacon,
I'm Type 2 and I have scrambled eggs with a half to 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in and so far I've not had any really adverse effect with my BGL's, and I have 2 slices of low Protein and Carb bread from Helgas Bakeries and finish off with a coffee with sugarine sweetener, if I don't feel like scrambled I just make it an omelette and add some tasty cheese or a cheese of your choice. I hope this helps.