Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
“Are we going low Gill?” Imagine that being said like somebody is asking a baby a question
Oooh, can you answer "I don't know, shall we test you and see where we are?"

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
"Well you still have gestational diabetes!"

(I was diabetic before pubity and diabetic before pregnancies) DURR!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to best friend's for lunch:-
Her: So what can you eat?
Me: No carbs or sugar - basically meat, fish, eggs, cheese, green veg, salad, berries
Her: So no potatoes?
Me: No.
Her: No bread?
Me: No
Her: Not even pasta or rice?
Her: Ok, so I have some chicken in breadcrumbs, can you have that?
Me: NO!
Her: Oh ok. What about pudding, can you have Pavlova?
:banghead:;):rolleyes:

lynnhan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not strictly a question but “ just leave sugar out of your tea. And ”Types 2 isn’t really serious like type 1.” Really winds me up. Also from GP’s it is related to Diabetes. Even a pain in the toe!!!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not strictly a question but “ just leave sugar out of your tea. And ”Types 2 isn’t really serious like type 1.” Really winds me up. Also from GP’s it is related to Diabetes. Even a pain in the toe!!!
....and a splinter in your finger.

Reactions: Bagpuss-wheels

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being told I'm "not a proper diabetic", because I don't inject insulin or take other medication!! when I say no to the roast potatoes, rice, pasta, cake etc.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being told I'm "not a proper diabetic", because I don't inject insulin or take other medication!! when I say no to the roast potatoes, rice, pasta, cake etc.
You need to learn to ignore people. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Reactions: plantagenet

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me: No carbs or sugar - basically meat, fish, eggs, cheese, green veg, salad, berries
How come you told her you can't have carbs or sugar? You can eat anything you want to

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a question or anything but one thing that annoys me is people who think they know it all when in fact they know absolutely nothing! My dad and his partner (both who have first aid training) are still insisting to me that when I'm hypo I need insulin! Yeah do you want to kill me? Her aunt is a type 2 but insulin dependant and my dads partner tries to tell me what I should be doing ( I do what im comfortable with and what works for now) these things really do annoy me xx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

My lovely friend is almost 80 and she’s a real feeder. She adores cooking for me and my family. We’ve had so many conversations like this, with the added hilarity that I don’t eat meat or dairy either. Last time we went for a meal she made a fruit pie... :arghh:

The really sadlarious part is that she’s diabetic herself... :banghead:

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I get so tired of trying to xplain to so called 'foodies' that if I eat certain vegetables (Obscure things) it will 'cure' my type 1 . Also from other diabetics trying to tell me to low carb! I've tried it and can't do it. My levels are fine and I'm ok. I'm wondering what new fad will be next?

marjfra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
aggressive or supercilious people, clingfilm
SAMPLES

"Is Diabetes contagious?"

"Do I get diabetes eating too much candies/choco?"

"Will you ever stop taking insulin"

"Well at least is not cancer..."

other (comment down below!!), please...

marjfra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
aggressive or supercilious people, clingfilm
Oh you're type 2. At least it's not the BAD DIABETES!!!!!

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a question, but restaurants that don't provide nutritional information about their menus irk me.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not a question, but restaurants that don't provide nutritional information about their menus irk me.
Or partial information. One place I go to thinks they’re being super thorough because theirs contains a breakdown of all the types of fat. But they only give sugar, not the carbohydrate value...

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that people aren't educated and wouldn't expect them to be but in that case I would also expect that they don't make stupid remarks about something they know nothing about. If someone had cancer or kidney disease, would those same people make off the cuff comments about their condition asking if they can do this and that?, I doubt it. For some reason diabetes is seen as a lazy and unworthy person's disease and it garners no sympathy or understanding whatsoever.

I am so ashamed to say that I thought the same thing. My mother was diabetic and out of ignorance I had no sympathy for her struggle as I thought she brought it upon herself due to her weight. Now that I am diabetic, can understand most of the ignorant comments and questions and use it as an opportunity to educate.

Questions that do alarm me have been from the medical community. I have been asked by a nurse "What is a normal blood sugar range and what is the difference between type 1 and type 2?"

It quickly became apparent to me that we must educate and advocate for ourselves. I am so thankful for the education and advice on this forum.