Always Thirsty

Wendy18480

Good afternoon,

Recently diagnosed and spending a lot of time trying to get to grips with diabetes, food and medication I am having a problem with thirst.

I'm taking 1 x 500 GlucophageSR with my evening meal. I've also joined Slimming World to try to loose weight and walking 3 miles a day 5 times a week.

I have one meal a day, my GP told me this was fine, the weight loss is going well 11.5lbs in the first month, not too fast but fast enough to keep me interested!!

I should also say I'm on 125mcg of Levothyroxine per day for an underactive thyroid, this has been tested recently and the GP said it was good.

I'm constantly thirsty over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I drink plenty during the day but I wake up at night thirsty, I'm not loosing it through urine as I don't seem to be going any more than normal. I'm on a low salt diet, more a way of life really, I don't like salty things. Saying that I never had this problem when I was having a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch.

I'm at a loss to know how to proceed.

Wendy
xx

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon,

Recently diagnosed and spending a lot of time trying to get to grips with diabetes, food and medication I am having a problem with thirst.

I'm taking 1 x 500 GlucophageSR with my evening meal. I've also joined Slimming World to try to loose weight and walking 3 miles a day 5 times a week.

I have one meal a day, my GP told me this was fine, the weight loss is going well 11.5lbs in the first month, not too fast but fast enough to keep me interested!!

I should also say I'm on 125mcg of Levothyroxine per day for an underactive thyroid, this has been tested recently and the GP said it was good.

I'm constantly thirsty over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I drink plenty during the day but I wake up at night thirsty, I'm not loosing it through urine as I don't seem to be going any more than normal. I'm on a low salt diet, more a way of life really, I don't like salty things. Saying that I never had this problem when I was having a sandwich and packet of crisps for lunch.

Wendy
xx
Are you testing your blood Glucose levels? Thirst is a classic sign of bgl that is too high, even though you're treating it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon,

Wendy
xx

you need to get your level of blood glucose down to normal to stop being thirsty all the time, and to do that you need to count your number of grams of carbs eaten in a day, and stay under 150 grams or even under 100 grams daily, to know if your blood glucose is low enough preferably under 6.5 mmol or even lower you need to measure your blood glucose every morning fasting and also right before a meal and then again 2 hours after your meal to know if you are getting down to normal level again after your meal, and to know which kind of foods spikes you too much.
most type 2 diabetics can get down to normal level of blood glucose in 1-2 month if they follow this advice

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No my GP told me not to test as I would get obsessed by number !!
However without testing you won't know what your blood sugar level is at all and that makes diabetes a lot more tricky to treat.
Also if your sugar levels are fine it may be something else that needs investigation, but without the blood tests you just cannot know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Without a meter you are working blind, so I strongly urge you to buy one. We can help you with how to use it to your advantage.

I also wonder if it isn't thirst but a dry mouth? All my adult life I have taken a glass of water to bed with me and taken a few sips during the night as I always wake with a dry mouth. I think it is because I sleep with my mouth open. It is not thirst in my case.

Wendy18480

Without a meter you are working blind, so I strongly urge you to buy one. We can help you with how to use it to your advantage.

I also wonder if it isn't thirst but a dry mouth? All my adult life I have taken a glass of water to bed with me and taken a few sips during the night as I always wake with a dry mouth. I think it is because I sleep with my mouth open. It is not thirst in my case.
I will buy a meter, I'm pretty much of an anorak with things, I like to know how they work, what they do etc. Also I'd not thought that is was just a dry mouth, maybe that could be right, I don't feel dehydrated, my urine is the right colour so maybe that is the problem.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, do get a meter. The Dr was trying to keep NHS costs down and not looking after your health. What was your diagnosis type? Be aware that many slimming company plans provide diets to suit all testes which obviously is not a good approach. Make sure any of the SW foods are low-carb and have a sensible level of fat and protein. Don't follow the low-fat route.