Cannula insertions

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any issues with where they insert a cannula? Since I’ve had the pump I’ve always used my stomach because the cannulas don’t stay in my leg. I was thinking of trying my back but people say it gets quite uncomfortable.

D

Deleted Account

I have used my back a few times.
I used the area of my spare tyre as any lower would be sat on and any higher has insufficient fat.
This works fine with a dress but is a problem with jeans as it seems to be waistband level so very uncomfortable.

From my experience there is not much of my back that is usable and it is difficult to insert the cannula. But it definitely depends on body shape and clothing.
I would say it is worth trying as your body and clothes choice is unique.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used my back a few times.
I used the area of my spare tyre as any lower would be sat on and any higher has insufficient fat.
This works fine with a dress but is a problem with jeans as it seems to be waistband level so very uncomfortable.

From my experience there is not much of my back that is usable and it is difficult to insert the cannula. But it definitely depends on body shape and clothing.
I would say it is worth trying as your body and clothes choice is unique.

Thank you so much!!

leahkian

If the cannula keeps coming out of your leg you could try and put some medical tape over the site, i used to have this problem every time it was hot all day and night as you sweat which makes the patch come away from the body but after i started using the tape it would be fine.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the cannula keeps coming out of your leg you could try and put some medical tape over the site, i used to have this problem every time it was hot all day and night as you sweat which makes the patch come away from the body but after i started using the tape it would be fine.

This seems like a good idea, I’ll try that thank you x