Newely diagnosed type 2

Evz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brand new to the group & diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on the 4th May the day before I was to go on holiday to Mexico, been to doctors this afternoon for my blood test result which was high @ HbA1c 108, been prescribed gliclazide & metformin tablets. Not sure how long I have had raised blood sugar as I only went for routine check up, time to do something about and try to get normal levels.

Reactions: rab5

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Evz, saw you on another thread so I know @daisy1 will be posting her info for you. There’s lots of advice to be had here. I joined a year ago and with Metformin, low carb dieting and self monitoring I have had normal blood sugars and HbA1cs since September. We can help you to do the same.

Reactions: Debandez and rab5

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are lucky as I was, in 6 months you could be back in the normal range.
I started off with a diagnosis of Hba1c of 91 - but to be honest I was not really pushing things - and it was in November 2016 when I got the news so I was not going on long walks.
You having Gliclazide will - I think - mean that you have a meter to test with, so you can see how your BG levels are reacting to various things you eat.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Evz and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis, but you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.

Reactions: Evz

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope your GP has given you a blood sugar meter and explained the rule with driving while taking gliclazide. You are lickly to find your BG drops quickly with a low carb diet, so carefully monitor your BG and see you GP to reduce the gliclazide dose when you start to often get readings under 7.

Ideally your GP will have already agreed with you when you should reduce the dose, but they tend to assume with type2 will never get better BG control. If a nurse tell you that you must eat carbs at every meal due to taking gliclazide, I expect you can predict what most of us would say.....

Reactions: Prem51

Evz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all thank you for reply's Yes I have a been given a blood sugar meter, at the moment I am taking half gliclazide & 1 500mg metformin tablet with breakfast, half gliclazide with evening meal my GP then wants me to up my dosage of Metformin to 2 aday after 14 days. I have been monitoring myself frequently and seem to be ok during the day usually between 5 - 7. Checked BG levels this morning and showing 9.2 before breakfast so not sure what I am doing wrong as my levels increase overnight. I read so much on here how people are now controlling levels with diet & without medication I am interested to know what to read on the back of food labels when shopping should it be the carbs of which sugars or just the overall carbs. Also are the werthers originals sugar free ok to eat

Reactions: Prem51

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Buy the book.. The Diabetic Code by Dr Jason Fung

Www.dietdoctor.com

You will be fine you can beat this

Kevyu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all thank you for reply's Yes I have a been given a blood sugar meter, at the moment I am taking half gliclazide & 1 500mg metformin tablet with breakfast, half gliclazide with evening meal my GP then wants me to up my dosage of Metformin to 2 aday after 14 days. I have been monitoring myself frequently and seem to be ok during the day usually between 5 - 7. Checked BG levels this morning and showing 9.2 before breakfast so not sure what I am doing wrong as my levels increase overnight. I read so much on here how people are now controlling levels with diet & without medication I am interested to know what to read on the back of food labels when shopping should it be the carbs of which sugars or just the overall carbs. Also are the werthers originals sugar free ok to eat
The overall carbs as sugar is a carb too.
Weathers are 5g of carbs per sweet.... 22 calories

Sugar free are slightly better option at 3g and 8 calories

If you trying to lose carbs / low carb then doesn't need many throughout a day to push you over.
Depends in your body and how many you eat.

If in doubt test with your meter and then try a day without.
But personally I'd say, don't kill yourself stressing and trying to stop everything in one go.
If a couple if these a day keeps you happy then 4g ain't gonna hurt right now.
Concentrate on potatoes/rice/pasta/bread

Morning reading is probably due to liver/sugar dump

Someone will be along to explain the science hopefully, but it's a natural occurance..... I think to wake body / muscles and give them some energy to get you moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Evz