Type 1 Emergency blood test supply?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’ve run into a bit of an issue I was on my last box of test strips on Friday but should have had enough to get me to Monday without issue. But i fell ill and have been following sick day rules and am now down to my last 4 strips obviously I can’t phone my doc at the weekend and I’m not sure what to do I am a pump user and rely on the strips pretty heavily.

I’m going to attempt to go to boots as it’s the only pharmacy I can find online near me that may open today (Northern Ireland trading laws)

Should it just be able to buy one box to get me though till tomorrow ?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In theory yes, depends if they stock your strips. You may have to buy a new monitor and strips.
Could try online, but you'd still likely not get delivery until tomorrow.

D

Deleted Account

If they have strips for your meter, they should be able to sell you one box.
I am not sure you will be able to claim the money back on prescription.

This is why I always try to have a spare box: I request my prescription repeat when I open my penultimate box.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I've been caught short, my usual pharmacy will just do an urgent supply and have ways of sorting it out with my gp by getting an after the event prescription.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they have strips for your meter, they should be able to sell you one box.
I am not sure you will be able to claim the money back on prescription.

This is why I always try to have a spare box: I request my prescription repeat when I open my penultimate box.

I normally do this but when they changed me to the pump they dropped me to 150 strips a month and I’m stuggling to get them to give me more

D

Deleted Account

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow!
I would demand more.
I find I test more since I have the pump.
And 150 is less than 4 a day which does not allow for driving and sick days.
If you have problems getting more, check this out from Diabetes UK: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_...cks/availability-of-blood-glucose-test-strips

Thank you! Yes I drive a lot and have gastroparieses so I need to test more often, but getting past my GPS receptionist is near impossible. The note they where given by my DSN specified 600 tests per month but they have chosen to ignore it

D

Deleted Account

Thank you! Yes I drive a lot and have gastroparieses so I need to test more often, but getting past my GPS receptionist is near impossible. The note they where given by my DSN specified 600 tests per month but they have chosen to ignore it
I would try to get around the receptionists.
When I had problems with my GP admin (they kept getting my prescription wrong), I sent a letter to the surgery manager and got a very apologetic response with a correction. Not had any issues since.
The name (and maybe email address) of the surgery manager should be on their website.

Reactions: itconor

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would try to get around the receptionists.
When I had problems with my GP admin (they kept getting my prescription wrong), I sent a letter to the surgery manager and got a very apologetic response with a correction. Not had any issues since.
The name (and maybe email address) of the surgery manager should be on their website.

Thank you I will try give that a go.

Thankfully boots where selling acu chek mobile cassette for 22 quid so I’ll use my old meter until the docs open on Tuesday

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ha, I can get aviva strips ok but huge difficulty getting 4mm bd microfine needles!!