Buying Test Strips Off Ebay...

thebear

Hi all,

Just wondered what the general opinion is on buying test strips from ebay? is there any reason why i shouldn't buy them off here? or is it safer to get them from the pharmacy?

There are some boxes going for half the price at the moment...

Jamie.

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Jamie all you need to know is don't outbid me lol

Lyn

thebear

I can't promise anything ;-) lol

In all serious though, is the used by date the only thing i need to look out for?

Jamie.

dib

Usually yes, although obviously better if they come in sealed containers. In my experience (brief) regular sellers are genuine and reasonably priced compared to the pharmacies.

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only purchased once before (plus the bid I've just placed )and all i checked was the expiry date and that they was the correct make for the meter i have.
when they was delivered there was no problem at all.
although I also check seller feedback as I would with any product from what i've seen the seller has normally previously sold test strip, so if they was no good i would of expected to see negative feedbook

Lyn

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
has just had an email to let me know i've been out bid hmm lol

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to go for the buy it now ones, from sellers who sell a lot of strips. I don't like buying them from people who have got them on free prescriptions - when you get them the packet is still sticky from where they have taken the pharmacy label off.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Is it an on-line chemist ?
Or the same old private seller week in week out
Case of the Over prescribed Profiteering from the non prescribed

It allows the non prescribed to obtain test strips
at a lower than high street price
,Honest Guv

All down to your moral compass

Wow that was deep

Yes i have bid for them in the past :oops:

thebear

Morally i'm fine with it to be honest, i am unable to get strips prescribed to me, and i will certainly always take the cheapest (safest all be it) option. Of course it always relates back to the big debate on who should and shouldn't get test strips. We know its unfair, but at least there are some other means and ways to obtain them without breaking the bank. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with thebear I also buy strips on ebay I have never had problems and as an OAP I need to be careful with the cash
One thing I have noticed recently is that strips have gone up in price and I wondered if less of us were being prescribed strips and so there is a greater market on EBAY :?:
CAROL

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I think the reason for the increase in price is the fact more people are bidding for them :(

hallii

Lloyds Chemist will sell strips for my meter (Compact plus) cheaper than I can get them on ebay, just ask for a VAT form and you don't pay VAT. Mine cost £15 for 51, if anyone knows where I can get them cheaper let me know! Don't forget P&P.

H

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I remember selling a bulk load of some strips on ebay that I bought for my old nano meter before changing to Bayer. Sold them really cheap and had it to donate all monies except postage to diabetes charity, I get mine on prescription now but ebay certainly has it uses for people needing strips. As long as there sealed and with a good date your sorted.

broads

I have an Abbott Freestyle Lite meter and always buy direct from them I have never found any cheaper anywhere.