How old were you at diagnosis?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Were your last 2 test results of 6.4, HbA1c or normal fasting glucose?

If fasting glucose I would say (for me) not too bad; if HbA1c I would prefer them (for me) in the mid-5s.

For Type 2s, the blood glucose levels to aim at during the day (NICE guidelines) are:

4 - 7 mmol/l fasting/before meals;
less than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after meals.

Viv :)

Clairslloyd

I was and am 37 at diagnosis - no family history (that I know of was adopted) but also have high bp and cholesterol - even though kept an eye on saturated fat (WW diet) and had very little sugar!!! As you can imagine was extremely shocked :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I was 49 when diagnosed. No family history, fit as a flea not overweight (6ft and 13 st) .......

Shock was an understatement !!

Dippy3103

A fair few bucking the media image that all us t2's are so because we are overweight and lazy. Am sure I probably didn't help myself but of three siblings two are t2 and my sister currently has gestational diabetes. So I suspect genetics came into it too.I am the old one of the trio at 40.

sugar2

Answering for my T2 Dad.

He was 57...very fit and active. Ate a naturally low carb diet (lots of meat and fat.). The only thing that could be considered as a bad thing, was he did ddrink quite a bit...not loads, but a couple of pints most evenings. He drinks slightly less, and more wine these days.

I am T1, but I get annoyed on my dads behalf when the media imply that T2 is largely self inflicted....reading this thread would soon alter that view!

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll be 67 in April and I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago, (Jan 2011)

I feel like a 21 year-old...(but my wife won't let me have one!) :lol:

Malc.

Dippy3103

sugar2 said:
I am T1, but I get annoyed on my dads behalf when the media imply that T2 is largely self inflicted....reading this thread would soon alter that view!
Shame really...They could learn something!

Becg

It looks like i might be the youngest :oops: . I was diagnosed when i was 25, i have PCOS. My Dad is diabetic, my nan and aunt both died from pancreatic cancer.

Marzeater

2008 aged 50. Diagnosed in hospital after an accident.
I had none of the usual symptoms so maybe it was a good thing to find out when I did. :?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was diagnosed 21st Oct 2006 after having Thrush for most part of a year, at the age of 47

mobrien

Me I was suspected of being diabetic on my 52nd birthday then after all the tests 2nd Dec 2009 at 11:03 am strange how it sticks in the mind. I was having liver and kidney issues at the time so with all the testing full diagnose took a wee bit of time. I remember the conversation well 11:00 appointment practise nurse "Oh come in Mr OBrien sit down now let me see Oh OK your diabetic how do you feel about that"

Could have knocked me down with a feather :lol: :shock:

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I was 55 years old when I was dx with type 2.

nilemthakrar

My daughter has been diabetic for just over 4 years (T2) She was diagnosed at the age of 14 and is now 19. The doctors at the hospital says she is T2, yet I am not convinced and they will not do the blood test.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
nilemthakrar said:
My daughter has been diabetic for just over 4 years (T2) She was diagnosed at the age of 14 and is now 19. The doctors at the hospital says she is T2, yet I am not convinced and they will not do the blood test.

Try changing your doctor. I had been on at my doctor for a very long time on and off trying to get her to test me for diabetes and I was dismissed every time as if I didn't know how I was feeling.... As soon as I changed my doctor, they took bloods (routine when taking in new patients) and a few days later I was told that she thought I was diabetic. It took 2 miscarriages and a change of doctor to get the tests I needed....

I hope you'll get it sorted out :)

nilemthakrar

Hi Eiche

Thanks for your advise. I am seeing my daughters diabetic nurse in 3 weeks time and will discuss the blood tests with her.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Just diagnosed Type 2 at 33 but I 'don't fit the criteria'. Both parents are Type 2 (but got it in their 50s) I'm awaiting further tests.

fankieboy

Thought I would push the average age up, I was 67 when diagnosed in Feb'10 with T2. Treatment is with diet & Metformin three times a day. Younger sister is also T2 & has been for some years, neither parents were affected.