Condition Or Disease?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm tending towards "condition", at least whilst it is under control

If you have had a heart attack you have heart disease; if you have high cholesterol you have a condition which may or may not be doing you damage and you may never have heart disease or a heart attack.

I tend to think of a disease as something that comes on and can be either cured or it kills you. A condition is more like a short left leg; something you expect to have for the rest of your life and you just accept and get on with it.

It is all semantics. I'm not bothered if I describe my T2 as a condition and other people don't take it seriously. I take it seriously and I manage it by diet and exercise (with a bit of help from Metformin) . They can get sniffy if I refuse to eat something "just this once" but that is their problem. I control what goes into my body, they don't.

I don't like the idea of a disease but that is just my personal reaction to the word. Sounds a bit dirty (in a bad way). Having a condition is just something which is a natural part of my life.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison
D

Deleted member 308541

The way I look at it is, I have a heart condition (A Fib) and a lung disease (Emphysema), so I put T2 down as a condition.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always disliked diabetes being classed as a disease. Leprosy, venereal disease, etc. are well known diseases, so diabetes being called a disease also just doesn't sit well with me. Therefore, I personally prefer the word "condition".

Reactions: therower