Diabetes and Disabled Badges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Pheebs.
You have a strange view of how Policing is carried out in the UK. Each case is treated on it's merits and there is no set way to deal with circumstances of hypo at the wheel. I have dealt with more than one incident involving diabetic's who came unstuck whilst driving. One or two were prosecuted, one for Dangerous Driving, others were dealt with sympathetically and advised about their Diabetes control. Warned. That's the common sense way of things. There is no persecution of people who have Diabetes. That's how the law works in the UK.

I too wonder how this started out as an issue regarding Blue Badges and somehow now it's persecution and hypo's.........quite a jump !

I drive to the NE of Scotland regularly over 450 miles, I always ensure my Bg levels are such that I am in no danger of having a hypo.....a prudent move when travelling such distances. I have never had to stop other than at the Services or a designated lay-by if I needed to test my Bg levels and treat them if low.

Pheebs

Dislikes
Type 2's who have caused themselves to have the disease (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish
It's all relative. It all links in one way or another. Your experiences may not reflect the experiences of others. They certainly do not reflect mine.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Perhaps there should be 'red marked disabled spaces' and 'yellow marked disabled' spaces, and have similarly coded 'disablement badges'.

Funnily enough in Australia there are 'red' and 'blue' disabled parking spaces for exactly the reasons you mention.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ZACNEMMA said:
Type 1 diabetics should have a blue badge. Not type 2

So.....what's the reasoning behind that statement then ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Really......I'm a Type 2 and I can suffer from hypo's, in fact anybody....even a non - Diabetic can suffer from hypo's. Low blood sugar. Maybe everybody should have a badge then....... :wink:

Hypo's aren't always life threatening you know......mild ones are easily treated without always having to stop at the roadside where not allowed.

ZACNEMMA

Yes yes I know anyone can suffer hypo's - however unarguably a type 1 diabetic should have some kind of ticket that allows them to short stay in illegal parking

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I don't disagree that if you are actually having a hypo you may need to stop somewhere safely but to give someone a Badge allowing them to virtually park where they like, just because of their Diabetes, be it T1 or T2 is not needed. An abuse of the system.

Badges should only be issued to those who are not able bodied the whole time....not just for a short while while they are treating a hypo.

ZACNEMMA

As you agree that rightly whilst having a hypo you should be able to stop some where safely whilst treating - then surely you should have some kind of ticket that enables you to do that.

Dippy3103

ZACNEMMA said:
Yes yes I know anyone can suffer hypo's - however unarguably a type 1 diabetic should have some kind of ticket that allows them to short stay in illegal parking
How is it unarguable? And who else should this extend to? Most double yellows are there because parking would be a hazard. Most t1's that I know have enough warning of a hypo to pull over somewhere legally to treat themselves.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Most of the Diabetic's I know have got some sort of Bracelet or a Card that explains you are a Diabetic. I have one on my key ring and another in my wallet. That would be convincing proof to most people that they were dealing with a Diabetic if that person was taken ill (hypo) whilst driving. It matters not what type you are.

As the previous posts have shown if you drive it is imperative that you don't drive with levels that may mean you could have a hypo whilst driving. If I can manage it when driving for hundreds of miles then I fail to see why anybody else can't. Keeping control of your Bg numbers when driving is very important. I make sure my levels are a little higher than normal as safety is paramount.

Should we give anybody who MAY feel ill whilst driving a card to allow them to park at will ? Sorry, that is not an option as we would have to issue them to everybody who drives, Diabetic or not.

No Diabetic should have a Blue Badge issued to them solely because they are a Diabetic. It's not a 'Get out of jail free' card........

ZACNEMMA

My opinion is unchanged. Type 1should be able to park safely but at times illegally if they need to treat hypo

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
sorry zacnemma, but try arguing it in court and you might find that you do not have a licence any more.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not an expert but putting in my 2 penorth anyway .Surely any diabetic especially type 1 should test before driving and keep levels up away from hypo levels and if driving for any distance should stop at services or on a car park to test and make sure levels are not dropping .If someones levels are liable to drop suddenly into hypo territory they shouldnt be driving anyway .
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Mine won't change either.

Just because you are Diabetic does not entitle you to park illegally, even as a T1. Do we extend that to T2's on Insulin ?

Mind you I suppose if you were issued with a badge or something then you could enter the date and time on the back of it if you were forced to stop to treat a hypo......the Police and DVLA would then be able to track how many hypo's you had whilst driving..... bye bye Driving Licence...... :wink:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Ow come off it
Get a grip on your self

[u]Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems[/u]

Next you will want a blue badge if car tyre has blow out :?

I am a wheelchair user with a blue badge
need the blue badge so my driver can pick and drop me off
I need too be close as poss and level area its near imposable
if there no dropped curb to go any place?

Far too many abuse the system now :evil:
eg someones mum is disabled has the blue badge , and will park
in blue parking spot when disabled person is not with them?

The badge is issued to the person Not the car

Just imagine the abuse of the system (its bad now)

You going to push me out of the disabled toilets next? Grrrrrrrrr :evil:

Next time your out and around think how would i get a wheelchair in there
you will be surprised how many place's with high steps ,with no ramps

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeo ... dg_4001061

Status
Not open for further replies.