bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning figures start of day 2 36.5 hours fasted

FBG 4.8
Ketones 1.8 (so yesterday's 2.6 could well be an aberration).
Weight 212.8
Body Fat 27%
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.8

So far today 2 cups of jasmine tea with a pinch of salt in each.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Reactions: Pipp and Sixpence

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning check in:
Fitbit yesterdays finals:
steps 19024
miles 8.77
calories burned 3457
total exercise time 143 mins​

Tuesday 22/05/18 05:53
FBG 3.8
Ketones 0.8

Plans:
Had 2 black coffees
Going for 40 - 45 minute walk / 200 (push ups on walk?)
Check emails / IT systems
Short walk maybe / deadlift / Curls
HiiT Gym (if no work issues)
Some weights at gym
5 mile walk (optimistic, this will test energy levels)​
@Mbaker you are very definitely the poster boy for the LCHF OMAD and fasting lifestyle. One or two doubting its effectiveness and ability to fuel meaningful exercise elsewhere on these boards would do well to look at your stats and schedule. As an aside, with your own schedules I would imagine you could run a beast of a boot camp!

Reactions: rab5

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I go to pee each 30 minutes - is it normal? Yes, I drink a lot of clean water (0,5 liter for one hour), but...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I go to pee each 30 minutes - is it normal? Yes, I drink a lot of clean water (0,5 liter for one hour), but...

Sounds a bit excessive but then again so does 0.5l of water an hour. Thats quite a lot per day about 6 litres?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see - could it be not enough of salt? To be honest, I did not get any salt from the start...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see - could it be not enough of salt? To be honest, I did not get any salt from the start...
If you aren't having extra salt I would certainly recommend you add some. I have a pinch in all the drinks I have when fasting.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to pass urine more frequently when fasting, too. I attribute this to the fact that I am having more fluids than when I am eating solid foods. Also, the fasting is eliminating fluid retention, which I am prone to having. Seems just like eating fat does not make you fat, drinking water does not make you retain water.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I am having a s**t morning. Work van battery flat. Work car battery flat. Wife’s car is electric but can’t use it to bump start any of the other 2. What a F*****g day!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having a s**t morning. Work van battery flat. Work car battery flat. Wife’s car is electric but can’t use it to bump start any of the other 2. What a F*****g day!
Well at least your blood sugars won't go up so much cos you're fasting...

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All,

So my numbers this morning:

FBG: 5.6
Ketones: 1.9

Yesterday I tested both when I got home from work as it's
the first day commuting to work on a bike and had:

BG: 4.8
Ketones: 2.6

So looking good, just need to shift about 30Kg :banghead:

Someone made comment about Blood Pressure going up and for me yes it does go up.
Sadly I did not realise this last week and had a 4 day fast prior to my six monthly weigh in
with the DN. My BP was up and I had to stop the fast there and then so I could get some home
BP readings to pacify her anxiety over the stats (everything else she records had gone down).
The BP went down within a day so she is now happy, and funnily enough fine with me fasting.

I also thought I would comment on how much water I am going through. I tend to drink just over 3 litres
during a work day ontop of say maybe 4 (large) cups of tea with double cream a day. I get to the point
that I don't want to see water by the end of the day :nailbiting: but know its good to flush :blackeye:

Last edited:
P

pollensa

Ok team here goes for our May fast
Had my last meal at 8pm tonight let's see how long we can go

I am hoping to be joined by @rab5 @rom35 @Mbaker @wiflib @jasmindesylva @david1968 @swavbags @Hotpepper20000 @kamsamji @Happyhomelands @vanillapie @lindijanice @FantomPoet (maybe?) @ianpspurs (maybe?) @Robbity (maybe?)

As a word of warning If you feel ill or experience significant hunger whilst fasting please eat something. It is meant to make you feel better not worse.
If you are on blood sugar lowering meds please monitor blood glucose very carefully (we don't want to induce any hypos)
There are no specific fasting methods or any minimum time limits so feel free to come and go as you wish.

For first timers have a read of this
https://www.dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens

@DCUKMod If you have any words of wisdom to add please feel free
I'm sure @Goonergal will be with us in spirit if not actually joining this time (and I hope she is feeling much better)

I'll be back tomorrow with some starting figs so see you all then.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask.

All the best and happy fasting

Regards
Mark

Good Luck. I also start my fasts 8pm after my evening meal here in Spain, this is excellent way, as one sleeps for 8/9 hours and during this period, you really dont realize your fasting, feel hungry its ideal time to start the fast.

I do three fasts a week, 2 days no breakfast i.e. 18 hrs, and 1 day no breakfast and lunch 24hr.

wonderful thing with fasting, its as and when you want, prefer, feel most convenient, you can break it or start it. As Dr. Fung states, if you dont snack inbetween meals, bascially one is fasting, thats how easy it is.

i am lucky, i feel great energized when fasting, but appreciate not everyone may feel the same.

I can inform, my fasting has worked wonders for my body, and feel has highly contributed, to my non diabetic range finger testing and A1C results todate.

hands up to fasting, good luck Mark.

Happy fasting, enjoy.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Ok here we go.... stressed!!!

Fasted 37hrs 05 mins..... but who's counting!

@ 0904hrs . (yesterdays data in brackets)
FBG 4.5 (4.7)
Ketones 2.5 (2.1)
Weight 73.45 kg - 11st-7.9 lbs - 161.9 lbs . (75.05kg - 11st-11.5lbs - 165.5 lbs)
Body Fat 16.8 ( 17.9)
Visceral Fat 8.0 . (8.5)
BMI ............ 22.7 (23.2)

Slight improvements overall happy with that. In relation to drinking plenty I am physically unable to do that. I only drink when Im thirsty. I just cant drink loads of water. Prof Noakes helps me justify my behaviour as he states we should only drink when we are thirsty, which I do. throughout this adventure starting end of Feb I have been unable to drink 2 litres of water a day. So far I have survived but I cant help thinking that Im missing out. But what can you do.

The second day for me has always been a little more difficult but so far so good considering Im ready to shoot someone lol.

Good luck to everyone that is travelling on this long and fasting Road (shout out to the Beatles..... see what I did there?)

I must start looking at my BP........

OK did my BP there 3 quick readings one after each other as follows......

153/67
131/74
128/76...... I will take that one please

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good-nearly-lunch-time-morning!

One of the disadvantages of fat burning is that someone has stolen the OFF switch for my brain and I often stay awake much - or sometimes all - of the night, sometimes not sleeping at all for a couple of days... :banghead: Which is why i was messing about with charts uploaded from my meter at long past my bedtime, and consequently sleeping until nearly 10:30am to compensate. Thank god for retirement!

So.FBG at 10:44am 6.5
and a mouthful of ketones - Ketonix = nice cheerful orange - so moderate ketones

And @rab5 - I sometimes also take the best of... as my blood pressure can do a rapid change for the better, so just now:
BP 165/68
139/64

I'm not doing any more weigh ins as I know from experience that my weight has been pretty static for most of my low carb lifetime and any chnages at the moment will be due to oedema and fluid fluctuation, I can tell by the size of my bad leg which can range from elephantine to sylph like!:wideyed:

Not hungry yet, so I'll just have water and coffee for now.

Robbity

Reactions: rab5 and ianpspurs

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
It's good to remember that as your body becomes more efficient in utilising ketones for energy they will show up less in your blood. from 'The Ketogenic Bible' :)

Hotpepper20000

I’m enjoying this thread.
I unfortunately have to bow out of this fast.
I went cycling yesterday and crashed.:banghead:
So after realizing I cracked a couple of ribs and need pain medication to sleep, I do have have something to eat.
Good luck everyone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m enjoying this thread.
I unfortunately have to bow out of this fast.
I went cycling yesterday and crashed.:banghead:
So after realizing I cracked a couple of ribs and need pain medication to sleep, I do have have something to eat.
Good luck everyone.
Ow sorry to hear that.. get well soon and there's always next month!
I always say that exercise isn't all that good for you! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you stop groaning as you sit down or stand up you'll know its beginning to work :)

old-age-retirement-middle_aged_aches-middle_aged-middle_aged-sits-involuntary_noises-mmon392_low.jpg

Reactions: Brunneria and rab5