Does vision go back to normal

jayjay87

hi so i'm type 2 diabetic, just recently i started to notice my eye sight has gotten worse, i had a few days on eating and drinking, but for the last 2 days i controlled my diet, i checked my blood sugar today and my blood sugar came at 5.6 which is good and i usually have good vision, i'm guessing the week i was drinking and eating unhealthy foods caused my vision to turn like this. has anyone had this issue and any idea how long till my vision goes back to normal?

thank you

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not something easily answered without a lot more detail on HbA1c, diet, diagnosis date, etc etc

jayjay87

hi mate, another question than.
I've been diagnosed for about 2 years now.

so i know if someone has high blood sugar that can cause blurred vision, which is what i have now.
but my blood sugar tested today was 5.6, and i still have these blurred vision.

cheers

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi so i'm type 2 diabetic, just recently i started to notice my eye sight has gotten worse, i had a few days on eating and drinking, but for the last 2 days i controlled my diet, i checked my blood sugar today and my blood sugar came at 5.6 which is good and i usually have good vision, i'm guessing the week i was drinking and eating unhealthy foods caused my vision to turn like this. has anyone had this issue and any idea how long till my vision goes back to normal?

thank you

As well as what Mike D recommends you definitely need to book in to see your optician, let him / her look inside your eyes and have your eyes photographed, they will advise you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

so i know if someone has high blood sugar that can cause blurred vision, which is what i have now.

cheers

Not quite true @jayjay87 .....we're not all the same and experience different reactions. What was that HbA1c?

We must know that as it's part of the jigsaw. Tight control, another

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can offer is my own experience :D

The last glucose tolerance test i had caused blurred vision (in case anyone hasn’t had one of these, its a lot of glucose in a drink, with blood glucose tested at 0 mins and 120 mins to see if the body copes with the glucose).

I went into the test with my usual good eyesight.
During the test my blood glucose went sky high then dropped.
A few hours later I noticed the blurriness. It was bad enough that reading was difficult, using a computer screen nearly impossible, and driving was definitely dangerous! I kept trying to blink it away, but it kept coming back.

Two days later, my sight was back to normal.

It is the glucose affecting the liquid in the eyes, and it clears when blood glucose stabilises.
It is a different thing from retinopathy.

If you go to an optician when your eyes are affected like this by raised blood glucose then you will get told what your prescription is that day - which may be different tomorrow, or in a few weeks when your blood glucose stabilises nice and low again.
Sometimes people post on the forum saying they got new glasses when their blood glucose was still high, then had to go back to their old prescription when their sugars settled.

Obviously, I can’t state with certainty that this will happen to you, but the odds are good ;)
Just focus on getting that blood glucose back under control.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

cheers

Because your blood sugar was 5.6 when you tested (and you don't say when you took this test - fasting or post meal) does not mean to say it was 5.6 all day. It could have been twice as high at some point. It is the spikes to high levels that cause these eye problems, as @Brunneria said happened to her. Roller coaster levels, swings from high to low, are never a good idea and your eyes won't like it.

Dark Horse

You can get blurred vision when high sugars return to normal but it can also be caused by maculopathy. If the blurriness doesn't improve within 2-3 weeks, see an optician who can check whether you need ophthalmology referral for further testing. If both eyes are equally blurred, it is less likely to be due to maculopathy.