Long Term Meal Logs & Testing

rfe3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, been lurking in the Forum since my T2 diagnosis in Jan. this year and finally took the leap to join and ask a couple of questions.

The evening I was diagnosed my GP suggested that I come here to see what this Diabetes thing was all about...It was a great suggestion, by the time I went back for my next appointment a week later I was sooo much better informed and had a plan of action already in place. Many thanks to every one here for some straight and clear advice to other peoples questions (some of which were the same as mine).

At diagnosis in late Jan. my A1c was 20 mmol, I had already been kinda Low Carbing it since about Aug. 17 and had lost about 14 kgs. by Jan. 18, but it was already too late. I started the Thirst/frequent Urination thing in Dec. around Christmas (and all that it brings Carb wise), and made a GP appointment in Jan.

After reading hundreds of posts and following the external links I felt I had a good clear plan of attack to get this under control. My GP started me on 500mg Metformin 3x daily and Gliclazide 80mg 2x daily (she also gave me a meter and a Perscription for Test Strips) and scheduled an appointment with the DN a week later. By the time I had my 1st. DN appointment I had found/modified/built an Excel workbook to track my daily Glucose levels, A1c estimates, Meal Logs, Calorie & Carb Charts, Recipie Calculators, etc....(I'm an Engineer so I love to have things in Tables and Charts) and had reduced my Carbs even more by fully embracing the LCHF lifestyle. She was a bit overwelmed when I showed up with my Laptop and all of this info and said "So...your probably not interested in going to a NHS Diabeties Course then...." I wasn't and it was because this Forum was way more informative than the "Official Dogma" She gave me all the booklets for new Diabetics, Eatwell Plate...blah, blah...I pitched them in the Bin on my way out and never looked back...

After 5 months I've got a pretty good grip on this. In Jan. I set myself some reasonable Targets to slide fully into the LCHF lifestyle, < 6.5mmol daily Glucose levels, 1800 Calories, 100g Carbs. I found that after a week I was hitting my daily Glucose targets(6.5 and below), averaging 1400 Calories and 60g Carbs. Every month I tighten them up a little more (Calories & Carbs but mostly Carbs), this month I'm down to about 40g per day. I'm still losing some weight (down to 102kg, looking to stop at 95kg) albeit slowly. My daily Glucose averages have stayed at about 6.2 mmol as well as my Fasting averages. My Blood pressure is in a normal range for a 50+ man, and my Cholestrol is for the 1st. time in 15 years normal. My A1c levels have fallen dramaticly...Jan.- 20mmol / Feb. 15.5mmol / Mar. - 11.1mmol, and according to my A1c calculator it should be between 6 & 7mmol at the moment( I have my next A1c test next month).

I moved from the UK to Germany in April for work and since I've been here my new GP has changed my Medicines a bit, instead of Metformin 500mg 3x daily, it's now 825mg 2x daily (the midday tablet was the most difficult one to remember) and changed my Gliclazide to Jaridance. He said in Germany they don't prescribe Glic. very often anymore because the Pancreas has a limited ammount of Insulin over a lifetime and the extra "Squeeze" that Glic. gives it makes it wear out faster...Hummm...anyway...I changed over and haven't noticed any side effects except that overall my Glucose levels became about .5mmol higer. I don't get as many 5 - 5.5mmol readings anymore, mostly 5.6 - 6.2 mmol. I hope by July that I can stop with the Jaridance and only take the Metformin if my A1c levels are under 6.5mmol.

Finally.....after that long and torturous preamble I can get to the original questions I wanted to ask....

I have kept a very detailed Food/Cal./Carb. log since Jan. and have tested my Glucose levels several times daily. I have a basic "Food Group" that I rarely stray from (all tested with my Meter multiple times) and my Glucose levels are "Stable" around 6 mmol. Do I need to keep such detailed records anymore? What do you all do? I've cut down on my Glucose monitoring from multiple times per day to once per day (2hrs. after Dinner) and a Fasting Glucose every 4 days. If I cook a new recipie with something Carby in it I always do multiple tests (Before, +1 and +2) a couple of times and with different portion sizes before I add it to my "Recipie Book".

Again, I would like to thank everyone here for the help and guidance over the last few months, even if you didn't know you were hepling.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome.

My diary isn't as detailed as it used to be in the beginning, I still note down meals and readings, though, to keep an eye on trends.

Well done on your progress, looks like you've got a handle on things.

Reactions: flexi06 and rfe3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @rfe3 great progress.

I’ve actually got more and more detailed as I’ve gone along. Started out with broad principles - which worked well, but as I’ve progressed and learned more, I’ve found it helpful to understand exactly what is going on so I can continue to make improvements/adjustments as necessary.

Guess it’s all about individual preferences. If you enjoy data and have the time to maintain it, it can’t do any harm and could well help you out if you run into problems.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 3 years I've cut back a whole bunch on recording and then breaking down to amounts of fats, types of , protein and carbs, never did calories. It's now headline stuff, yog, pumpkin seeds and straws for breakfast. I actually weighed them out this morning, which was useful for not overdoing the amounts but wouldn't record. I only test my BG for my fasting, unless I know I am going to eat something unusual. I only get HbA1c once a year and probably, subconsciously, tightened things up a bit in the run up to it... not good.
Which only goes to say that when you're at a place where you think you have your D under "control" it's more maintenance than intervention.
Interesting perspective on the finite ability of the pan to produce Insu, could well be.
You really sound as if your control is good.

rfe3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, I am a bit of a Nerd for data and charts so I don't mind keeping the records but they have become so flat and boring these days. It was exciting and a challenge to see the values fall month to month but the last 2 months have been prety stable and no real exciting progress in the charts. I would like to get my Glucose averages a little lower (under 6mmol) and I'm almost there. I think if I hit this target and am able keep it there I'll feel like I have a handle on it and not it on me.

I could probably tighten up my Carbs even more and get down to low and middle 5's but at my current level I'm happy food wise. I eat well, including a few treats including Brown Rice, Lasagne (Aldi refridgerated not frozen), some fresh fruits and a little Mash once in a while. I control the portion sizes, therefore I don't feel that I'm missing anything by living the LCHF lifestyle and it doesn't seem like I'm fighting a disease.

Do you all try to find a middle ground between Ok Glucose levels and dietary happiness or do you always strive for lower and lower BG levels?

I could probably get my BG levels even lower by more exercise and leaving my "Menu" the same. I don't hardly do any exercise. When I lived in the UK I played a little Golf a couple of times a week, but here in Germany it's very expensive.

Reactions: flexi06

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I am a bit of a Nerd for data and charts so I don't mind keeping the records but they have become so flat and boring these days. It was exciting and a challenge to see the values fall month to month but the last 2 months have been prety stable and no real exciting progress in the charts. I would like to get my Glucose averages a little lower (under 6mmol) and I'm almost there. I think if I hit this target and am able keep it there I'll feel like I have a handle on it and not it on me.

I could probably tighten up my Carbs even more and get down to low and middle 5's but at my current level I'm happy food wise. I eat well, including a few treats including Brown Rice, Lasagne (Aldi refridgerated not frozen), some fresh fruits and a little Mash once in a while. I control the portion sizes, therefore I don't feel that I'm missing anything by living the LCHF lifestyle and it doesn't seem like I'm fighting a disease.

Do you all try to find a middle ground between Ok Glucose levels and dietary happiness or do you always strive for lower and lower BG levels?

I could probably get my BG levels even lower by more exercise and leaving my "Menu" the same. I don't hardly do any exercise. When I lived in the UK I played a little Golf a couple of times a week, but here in Germany it's very expensive.

I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so find it easier to minimise carbs as much as possible and don’t really miss them now (with the possible exception of potatoes). Am very happy with what I eat - often seems quite indulgent so don’t feel I’m compromising in seeking to drive levels down. Main adjustments have been using intermittent fasting and adding in weights to exercise regime to build muscle.

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. First time on here. I’ve been a t2 for about 12 years. Never really took it seriously. I’ve been given a meter to keep track of my blood levels. But I’ve only got one arm and not sure what to do as my nurse was unsure if I can test blood from else where. I’d like to really take control now as I’m peeing so much in the night I’m knackered when I get up. I’m getting thrush so much it’s driving me mad. I like the idea of a food diary. Not sure how to count carbs. I’m a London cabbie and work long hours. Eating healthy is hard sometimes. By the time I get home it’s to late to cook. Any help on places to eat would be great full. Plus any guidance on a food diary or even ideas about using the meter for someone with one arm. Basically and help or advice would be warmly welcome. I’m 48 now and really scared of losing limbs. I’m taking my dog for long walks before work. But really wanna eat properly and check to see what foods do what to my bloods. Thanks for reading my first but hopefully not my last.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@rfe3

I'm another data freak. I was diagnosed January 2014, started an excel book like you have, but mine contains lots of other markers too. Not just food and blood glucose, but also cholesterol and lipids, blood pressure (have my own monitor), weight, body composition, full blood counts, kidney and liver functions, other blood results, and graphs. I no longer count carbs/calories/nutrients but just record the foods eaten in precis form. I can tell you what I had to eat each day since 2014 and what my levels were before and after. :arghh: It actually keeps me motivated, even though everything is stable and in a good place. I still test several times a day, and I am also a part time user of the Freestyle Libre.

Keep up the good work, you are doing brilliantly. :)

Reactions: rfe3 and flexi06

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. First time on here. I’ve been a t2 for about 12 years. Never really took it seriously. I’ve been given a meter to keep track of my blood levels. But I’ve only got one arm and not sure what to do as my nurse was unsure if I can test blood from else where. I’d like to really take control now as I’m peeing so much in the night I’m knackered when I get up. I’m getting thrush so much it’s driving me mad. I like the idea of a food diary. Not sure how to count carbs. I’m a London cabbie and work long hours. Eating healthy is hard sometimes. By the time I get home it’s to late to cook. Any help on places to eat would be great full. Plus any guidance on a food diary or even ideas about using the meter for someone with one arm. Basically and help or advice would be warmly welcome. I’m 48 now and really scared of losing limbs. I’m taking my dog for long walks before work. But really wanna eat properly and check to see what foods do what to my bloods. Thanks for reading my first but hopefully not my last.

Hi @Al60733

Welcome!

It would probably be better if you started your own thread, otherwise your post may get lost on this one. If you go to the main page and chose one of the sub sections, you will see a green bar in the top right corner that says "post new thread" and away you go. You will receive a lot of replies if you have a thread of your own. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/

Reactions: Al60733 and flexi06

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Al60733 (edit to get your name right!)

I recommend you start a new thread or three, titled something like 'how to test BG when I only have one arm', low carb restaurants in London', etc and you'll pick up much better and more specific advice. There are oodles of very clever, experienced folk here, welcome to the forum!

@rfe3 I started to keep a detailed food log, managed to find a good number of 'safe' foods, and soon decided to quit logging ( and indeed testing as it was beginning to control me, rather than me controlling my BS. I am at a place now where I believe I could eat and fast like this the rest of my life. I hope my next A1c is good, as it means business as usual. If not, it's back to square 1 with the testing and logging, and a far stricter regime

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Al - If you'd like your post to become a thread of your own (as @Bluetit1802 suggests, you'll likely get more responses that way), I, or any other Mod can move it for you. To let us know, just type the @ symbol immediately before the user name, like this, @Al60733 , or @DCUKMod

Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Al60733

Al60733

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I’m not great with technology and fumbling through this now. But will give it ago. Good luck everyone

Reactions: hankjam

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I’m not great with technology and fumbling through this now. But will give it ago. Good luck everyone

Hey sweetie @AI60733 I don’t know if u started another thread with your orig question but my diabetes nurse (DN) said that you can do tests on your toe pads too- don’t know if this helps - I just physically did the actions with only one hand and it seems it could work but I realise it’s not reality- just miming it out. Good luck.

Reactions: Al60733

rfe3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rfe3

I'm another data freak. I was diagnosed January 2014, started an excel book like you have, but mine contains lots of other markers too. Not just food and blood glucose, but also cholesterol and lipids, blood pressure (have my own monitor), weight, body composition, full blood counts, kidney and liver functions, other blood results, and graphs. I no longer count carbs/calories/nutrients but just record the foods eaten in precis form. I can tell you what I had to eat each day since 2014 and what my levels were before and after. :arghh: It actually keeps me motivated, even though everything is stable and in a good place. I still test several times a day, and I am also a part time user of the Freestyle Libre.

Keep up the good work, you are doing brilliantly. :)

Wow...impressive, I'v only been doing it since Jan. but I really like seeing the Data, I can spot trends and correlations much easier. I have ben able to correlate my weightloss to Carbs ratio and pretty much know that if I keep my Carbs under 40g per day my body stays in Ketosis (I back this up by testing Ketones also). I've also been able to tell that it takes about 3 days (if I slip out) of under 40g for the Ketosis to start again. I also keep the records of Cholesterol and BP in my Workbook.