Diabetes and Disabled Badges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykay

I think what we have to get out of our head as a nation, not only as diabetics, is that we have some kind of god given right to drive. If you wish to drive, you have to take full and absolute responsiblity for everything you do whilst operating a vehicle. That includes NOT driving if your diabetes is not under control. I know that very occasionally someone is going to have a hypo totally out of the blue but aside from that, when anyone steps into a car, they must take as many precautions are as reasonably necessary to make sure that being a diabetic in charge of a vehicle is never going to be a problem.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Was that post to me personally?? I do feel that I have a grip, thankyou very much

If the shoe fits ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gosh, what a heated debate...lol....I just don't believe that diabetes is a reason for anything-unless you are an amputee etc.....I personally don't agree with people seeing it as a disability full stop!!! I been diabetic type 1 25 years+ and I have never seen it as a reason for not doing anything.......

In todays society it is now seen as human rights, discrimination, disability etc....at the end of the day, I just don't see it as any of those unless there are complications (as mentioned). The majority of us want to live a good, happy life without a label being upon us....thinking that diabetes is a disability of any sort is wrong.

When working, I never took a day off sick, time off for appointments etc because I thought I would be putting employers off from employing more diabetics in the future.....if we label ourselves as diabetic for driving and needing exemptions for this, that and the other...how the heck are diabetics going to get jobs etc in the future.

My rant I know is nothing much to do with parking illegally, but it makes me absolutely mad that people can see diabetes as a way to anything to do with disabilitys......those that see it as a way to disability funding of any description make it bad for the rest of us trying to live as normal, every day human beings.....rant over

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
I know why people want a blue badge, it because they can get tickets at Alton towers for £13.20 instead of £26.40 and you can skip the queue. I’ve caught you out
laughing4.gif

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Love the cartoon, Bowell :lol: :lol:

I see that they will be handing over the assessment for Blue Badges to independent assessors. if this means ATOS then it will probably be a lot more difficult to get a badge in the future !

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
hi guys did none of you read my reply to safely driving and making sure you covered your backsides the other day !
as a ex police man has just comfirmed to you all
(it is your own responsability to make your own judgement that you are fit to drive (unlike most people giving the subject no thought ) i advised you all it was my own choice not to drive anymore as i see myself unfit to do so and if you are a parent you should give this deep attention (what would you do if your child was involved in a rta situation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't preach if you can't practice :?
JF.

Pheebs

Dislikes
Type 2's who have caused themselves to have the disease (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish
MegaMan said:
I know why people want a blue badge, it because they can get tickets at Alton towers for £13.20 instead of £26.40 and you can skip the queue. I’ve caught you out
laughing4.gif

Hahaha this actually made me laugh out loud.

I think this whole thread has got a little heated, sorry for ruffling everyones feathers! In response to Cugila, just because you can do something doesn't mean everyone can. I have always taken care of my blood sugar whilst at the wheel as I'm sure most do, but I think in general it is far easier for a Type 1 to hypo, and to hypo unexpectedly - there can be various reasons for this. I agree it is your own responsibility to make sure you're fit to drive, but just because there is a chance one of us could hypo at the wheel does not mean we should give up our independence. That, and even suggesting it, is persecution. As I said, I'm not suggesting we SHOULD have badges, I wanted to know what people thought. Perhaps, rather than a blue badge, an acknowledgement from a professional body to say if needs must it is okay to pull over and treat a hypo in a place that may be deemed inappropriate in a normal situation such as a double yellow line. Heck, my ex's father who I mentioned in an earlier post would park on a double yellow to nip into the bank. He wasn't immobile, he spent 8 hours a day gardening and didn't (in my humble opinion) need that badge. Was also an ex policeman so in reality, should've known better!

Pheebs

Dislikes
Type 2's who have caused themselves to have the disease (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish
Also, isn't this part of the forum for people with type 1...?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Pheebs said:
Also, isn't this part of the forum for people with type 1...?

No it isn't ....it is also in Diabetes Discussions. In any case no area of this Forum is the sole preserve of anybody. It is an open discussion board for ALL members to participate. This is a matter for ALL Diabetic's to comment on. We do not differentiate.

trand

What an interesting thread, and very good responses, I did notice though, cugila, could not respond without, the ''policemans'' training comming out :) but all the same I enjoyed reading the replies, I have a badge, what annoys me most is the inconsidarates that do not have badges parking in our bays, and the way some supermarkets put mother/child, bays closer to the store, and why are they ''mother/child'' what about us dads then? :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree......I think the Supermarkets should be tougher on those that use the designated bays who are not entitled to. Can't help what I was....all experience which is what it's all about I suppose. :)

trand

Not having a pop mate just had to :) I have learnt so much from your replys and others on this site and you do a great job ...thanks

Pheebs

Dislikes
Okay, well then my question wasn't aimed for Type 2's :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Pheebs said:
Okay, well then my question wasn't aimed for Type 2's :)

Appreciate that Pheebs.....however there is nothing to stop any Type 2 or Type 1 from answering the question. That's why it is also in discussions (2 areas).....as you have seen it is of interest to all Diabetic's of whatever persuasion. We like to have stimulating discussions on this Forum even if sometimes the opinions aren't always what you wish to hear. :|

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
for the life of me can not see your logic ?

If your tire blows out, you stop as soon as you can ?
If you run out of fuel you stop ,you have no choice
if your engine blows you stop
what you going to do if you start a hart attack ?

You do not need a badge to use common sense

Type 2 also use insulin ?
experts03-divided.gif

Pheebs

Dislikes
Personally I just don't see how the relation between Type 1 and Type 2 is at all similar and don't particularly appreciate any Type 2 input. I'm very set in my ways about that opinion. I'm very comfortable with others opinion's, I wouldn't have posted such a thread had that not been the case. I want to see differences in people's thought processes, hence you got it, the question! I just wanted to see them from people like myself - Type 1. Anyway, this is getting way off course for the subject matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.