Diabetes and Disabled Badges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I was posting as a rightful Blue badge Holder, also a diabetic and a member here
What more do you want ?

A badge ?

media04-villain.gif

Pheebs

Dislikes
Type 2's who have caused themselves to have the disease (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish
Hahaha have you read anything I've written? Looks like you're Type 2 and (Post edited for personal attack)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
A reminder to all members.

Opinions are one thing, nobody has to agree. Personal attacks on other members are not tolerated on the Forum.

Please discuss the issues, do not make things personal. Those posts will be edited and/or deleted.

cugila
Forum Monitor

Pheebs

Dislikes
Type 2's who have caused themselves to have the disease (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish
Maybe have a word about the illustrations, no?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had so much enjoyment from reading everybody's comments for this posting, I have chuckled and chuckled to myself. I think our differnet opinions just prove that we are all individuals despite having the same disease (albeit we may have different 'type's!!!). Thank goodness we aren't all the same, I wouldn't have had such entertaining reading on a Saturday night otherwise!!! Lol!!! :D :D

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Sticks and stones :wink:

I still have the blue badge

experts04-specimen.gif

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pheebs said:
Hahaha have you read anything I've written? Looks like you're Type 2 and (Post edited for personal attack)

I see from your profile...
Dislikes: Type 2's (Not sorry), Pop/Dance/RnB/Disrespect/Fish

What have you got against Type 2's?
We can't help what we've got.
And by the way even without insulin we can get hypos too!!!
Hope you never have anyone you love get diagnosed type 2 if this is your attitude!!
Angie

TheSparkyPony

angieG said:
Pheebs said:

I see from your profile...

What have you got against Type 2's?
We can't help what we've got.
And by the way even without insulin we can get hypos too!!!
Hope you never have anyone you love get diagnosed type 2 if this is your attitude!!
Angie

Oh dear. What's wrong with T2s?!

In answer to the original question, no, I don't think any diabetic should get a blue badge based on diabetes alone. If you are in a position where you are frequently hypoing or feel you cannot safely pull over, you shouldn't really be driving. As the meerkats like to say, simplez! :mrgreen:

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Blue badges should be reserved for those with proper mobility needs or chronic illnesses that also cause issues with walking long distances or up hills etc. Remember spaces at your local shops are private property and not enforceable.

As for this.

Sometimes when you read things like that you just have to stand back take a deep breath and shake your head. :cry:

louiseb

@Pheebs
why do you dislike type 2 diabetics?
there was recently another thread where a member of the forum basically implyed that all type 2 diabetics were lazy and greedy and caused their owm diabetes and if they ate better their diabetes would go away.
well im not getting into that argument again but there are some type 1 diabetics who feel that there illness is worse and that type 2 is just mild diabetes but can i just say that there is no such thing as mild diabetes we all face the same complications if our illness is not controlled.
I think people need to remember what this forum is for to learn from each others experiences of diabetes and support each other so that we can all manage our diabetes as best as we possibly can regardless of what type you have we are all diabetics after all.
its fine to disagree with each other everyone has there own opinions and thats what debate is all about but there is no need to make personal attacks on other members.

back to the origional question if your frequently having hypos and feel the need to be be making urgent stops whilst driving frequently then really its not a blue badge you need but you need to give up driving permanently.

Pheebs

Dislikes
Is type 2 not generally caused by lifestyle? In all of it's variations. I have someone close to me that is Type 2, and can honestly hand on heart say it was her fault she developed the disease. To me, that's appalling. That is something she could have avoided. It was only the other day I was talking to my Diabetic Nurse about this and she said "For the most part, Type 2 can be avoided." Her words, not mine! I accept there are instances where it's hereditary. However, it does frustrate me that someone can willingly put themselves in that position. I didn't choose to be this way. And although you may have hypos too and are at risk of similar complications, I don't have any sympathy for it.

louiseb

is it any wonder some type 2 diabetics are embarrassed to admit they are diabetic and keep it a secret with comments like yours :evil:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I suggest, Pheebs you ignore the media hype on Type 2 and read some of the posts on here about how Type2 's became Diabetic.

In my case and Cugila's we both had very stressful adrenaline fuelled jobs. This ultimately caused Type 2 to develop.

Are you suggesting we should have given up our jobs just in case we developed Diabetes ? In that case there would be a lot less Nurses and Policemen around. The very ones who help you when you hypo unexpectedly !

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pheebs said:
Is type 2 not generally caused by lifestyle? In all of it's variations. I have someone close to me that is Type 2, and can honestly hand on heart say it was her fault she developed the disease. To me, that's appalling. That is something she could have avoided. It was only the other day I was talking to my Diabetic Nurse about this and she said "For the most part, Type 2 can be avoided." Her words, not mine! I accept there are instances where it's hereditary. However, it does frustrate me that someone can willingly put themselves in that position. I didn't choose to be this way. And although you may have hypos too and are at risk of similar complications, I don't have any sympathy for it.

So it is my fault then is it?
I was not overweight when diagnosed, I have worked full time since leaving school and do not sit about stuffing my face watching tv all day...usually very active.
My only 'crime' was to be born into a family where my maternal Grandma and her two brothers were both diabetics (none of them were overweight either) so maybe I just should not have been born then by your reckoning?
What a horrid comment about that person close to you.
You say you didn't choose to be this way....well I can **** well tell you I didn't either!!
I just hope if you get complications you NEVER want any help or advice from a Type 2 as we may not have any sympathy for you!!

Pheebs

Dislikes
I did say I know there are some exceptions, I said hereditary as an example not a full stop. After click click clicking on profiles of some Type 2's on here I can see some people list their exercise as "walking to the car." Not helping any opinions is it! The one time I had an unexpected hypo at 17 it was my family who helped me, not any Police or Nurses...
And Angie, I would never want help or advice from a Type 2. Ever. "I accept there are instances where it's hereditary." Seems to me some of you like to conveniently cut out bits like that!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pheebs said:
I did say I know there are some exceptions, I said hereditary as an example not a full stop. After click click clicking on profiles of some Type 2's on here I can see some people list their exercise as "walking to the car." Not helping any opinions is it! The one time I had an unexpected hypo at 17 it was my family who helped me, not any Police or Nurses...
And Angie, I would never want help or advice from a Type 2. Ever. "I accept there are instances where it's hereditary." Seems to me some of you like to conveniently cut out bits like that!

If you would never want help from a type 2 I hope you 'vet' all the helpers that come to your aid if your ever have another hypo that requires assistance then. Would you turn away their aid? I think not.
I think your attitude is disgraceful. Are you so perfect that there are no recriminations about your health and condition? Is your lifestyle so brilliant that you feel happy finding fault with everyone elses?
Yes we all may do things that are not healthy at times but that doesn't mean that diabetes is compulsory when we do so. And I know loads of people who are overweight and lazy that are not diabetic so how does that work then?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why should you dislike me a type 2 DB through no fault of my own .You dont know me ,if I said that I didnt like you I would be a bigot .How about you
CAROL

louiseb

not all type 2 are overweight
and not all oveweight people are type 2 diabetic,
I was overweight at diagnosis but I have always had a healthy diet and excecise as much as my health allows me I have Lupus (S.L.E)
also I have a very strong genic link my father was diabetic all his brothers and sisters were diabetic,
my paternal grandfather was diabetic and all my sisters are diabetic.
I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago and lost one stone in weight and then got tested again for diabetes and even though I had lost a stone I then became diabetic at which point I was only half a stone overweight.
My GP told me it was down to genitics and no matter I did i have got type 2 diabetes.
also I have taken long courses of steroids prednisolone for asthma and lupus and crohns disease and these drugs can induce diabetes.
Pheebs I find you and your comments extremely offensive.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Shocking post Pheebs, offensive and unneccessary as I am sure you are aware.
You'd be wise not to take everything your Diabetes Nurse says as gospel, there's a lot of us who'd be in trouble if we did that! Maybe you could go on a training course together :)
I don't think that type-1s should have an automatic right to a blue badge if they are in relatively good health, as much as u can be as a type-1. But associated probs, such as sight, nerve damage may lead such a person to be in need of one. Not sure about the hypo issue though.
I have a blue badge, nothing to do with my diabetes, but because I have RP(retinitis pigmentosa) resulting in night-blindness and loss of my peripheral vision. Most of the time I look far from disabled, I'm fairly young and healthy(ish),don't use a cane much, so I would probably seen as an abuser of the system. I just wanted to point out that disability comes in many forms, not always obvious to the onlooker.
Jus
ps My husband drives the car,not me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.