T1D normal blood sugars, high ketones

kpa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I'm on the ketogenic diet, which I find is great in helping me control my bloods and stops me from over eating during meals. I've kept a close eye on my bloods and they are fine, ranging from 5-9 but when I test my ketones I get a reading of 2.3 mmol/L - which is high. Since they say that high ketones are dangerous for T1Ds, should I be worried about the ketone reading if my bloods are fine and i am feeling no side affects from the diet other than thirst? I am not entirely sure of how to deal with it if I have to lower this number - do I eat fruit or what are my options? Thanks in advance - any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Kpa

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So your aim for the ketogenic diet is nutritional ketosis obviously which your ketone levels suggest you are achieving.
Diabetic Ketoacidosis is a condition when your blood glucose is high and your ketones are high as well usually due to insufficient insulin. As you are well controlled I'd say you are doing fine. But I'm an unmedicated Type 2 so am fairly ignorant of insulin therapy (although have read quite a bit here) my ketones at last reading today were 3.7mmol but I'm on the third day of a fast.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
47AF5593-B2C4-41EA-8C00-67F35ECBCC40.jpeg

As long as you have insulin on board and normal sugars, I wouldn’t worry. Have you read The Ketogenic Diet for Type One Diabetes? Give some great guidelines on how to do keto safely as a T1. Mine usually range from 1.5-2.5mmol, so slap bang in the range for nutritional ketosis according to Volek & Phinney in their book, The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living - that’s where the graphic attached is from.

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I'm on the ketogenic diet, which I find is great in helping me control my bloods and stops me from over eating during meals. I've kept a close eye on my bloods and they are fine, ranging from 5-9 but when I test my ketones I get a reading of 2.3 mmol/L - which is high. Since they say that high ketones are dangerous for T1Ds, should I be worried about the ketone reading if my bloods are fine and i am feeling no side affects from the diet other than thirst? I am not entirely sure of how to deal with it if I have to lower this number - do I eat fruit or what are my options? Thanks in advance - any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Kpa

You’re in nutritional ketosis which is the aim of the Keto diet, it’s totally different than DKA and provided your BG’s are in range you should be fine.
I find the presence of Ketones is a massive advantage when BG starts to go low. Not only are the lows far less frequent, they also happen whilst maintaining full cognitive function. Having an alternative fuel onboard for the brain is protective and a huge benefit of this diet.