Post 1hr readings

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
I’ve found out I’m pregnant after a missed miscarriage last year, so I’m excited but naturally full of anxiety not wishing for the same thing to happen again.
I was just wondering what foods people were eating to manage the 7.8mmol reading 1hr post meals?
My hba1c is below 6% so my sugars aren’t out of control but I seem to be struggling with the 1hr post. I’m not sure if my worry is a contributing factor but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@eeb123 I eat so badly and literally live off carbs my blood is very very rarely below 7 1 hour post meals but as long as it’s not sky high your team shouldn’t worry! With my first pregnancy I had to do a food diary for the dietician and the post meal readings were 2 hours not 1 so I wouldn’t get to fixated on being below 7 1 hour post meal! Like I said, as long as it’s not sky high you’ll be fine until you meet with your team and they can tweak ratios and stuff if needed :)

Congratulations x

BAZ-ANDREWS

@eeb123
I’ll be 12 weeks tomorrow and since finding out at 4 weeks I’ve really cut down on the carbs that I consume. Not to a ridiculously low amount as I know that isn’t good for the baby but I just found that if I ate refined or white carbs like rice/bread/potatoes etc then my blood would sky rocket and it would take a long while to come down. I have a lot of lean meat or fish with vegetables, yoghurt and low carb crackers with peanut butter for breakfast, omelettes, stir fry type meals and lots of salads with eggs and seeds etc. I find I can eat more and stay within the range I need to be, and there’s nothing I’m consuming to keep my blood sugar up for a long period of time.
xx

Reactions: eeb123

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
you have not aid if you were TID or T2D before your pregnancy or Gestational diabetes, ? on insulin etc. And why was the 1 hour reading given as your BSL to watch rather than the usual 2 hour reading?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And why was the 1 hour reading given as your BSL to watch rather than the usual 2 hour reading?
I don't know T1D function of glucose, but for T2D and non diabetes 30m-60m after meal there is "spike". 120m after meal the BG should be max 2 points more than the start. But the spike can be very high - it leads to organ devastation.

So to control spike (1h after meal) is relevant point in tight control of diabetes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sorry, never heard of that. I know that there is an insulin spike missing from the usual after meal insulin input in T2D. On looking at diabetes.uk.co I can only find that a normal (non-diabetes) blood sugar 2 hours after the meal is 7.8. And all the recommendations for acceptable levels for diabetics are before meals and at least 90 mins after a meal.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The original poster is T1 and will be following advice from her clinic.

Reactions: eeb123

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That is fine. I am just querying whether she has that advice correct in her mind or is mixed up etc. Sure she needs to floow advice as long as she has it correct.