New Type 1!

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Helloooo!!

I'm 21 years only and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 weeks ago (had to spend the night in hospital)!

I was in my last few weeks of University so sort of had to be positive about the diagnosis, deal with it and focus on getting my work done..

Now I'm finished everything is starting to sink in a little more and I'm having some up and down days - took me 45 minutes to do an injection the other day, ridiculous as I had done almost 70 before that but just couldn't bring myself to do it!

Just wanted to know how other people have found their first few weeks/months after being diagnosed at a similar age and just be able to speak to others who understand it all!

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Lots of sneaking chocolate bars and faking blood sugars in the notebook as I recall, but I was quite a lot younger and didn't at the time have the pressures of exams etc. Goes without saying this was before the meters digitally stored values and you uploaded them to the nurse etc. ;)

Reactions: sofs888

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @sofs888 theres definitely a lot to take in with the diagnosis but you found this forum and it’s such a relief to know your not alone in this. My best advice is to become an expert in your t1, so get a copy of ‘think like a pancreas’ and swot up on everything from different insulin types to managing illness - it’s so important to be as knowledgable as possible, also be prepared for bumps along the way as you get to know your t1, it takes time to learn how your body responds to insulin, carbs, heat, exercise, hormones etc.

It’s perfectly possible to lead a fulfilling life with it and even challenge yourself more than if you didn’t have it, keep positive though as mindset plays an integral part of your control and the injections get easier too try a distraction technique like humming your favourite song.

Best wishes - always someone around here to chat too :)

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @sofs888 theres definitely a lot to take in with the diagnosis but you found this forum and it’s such a relief to know your not alone in this. My best advice is to become an expert in your t1, so get a copy of ‘think like a pancreas’ and swot up on everything from different insulin types to managing illness - it’s so important to be as knowledgable as possible, also be prepared for bumps along the way as you get to know your t1, it takes time this learn how your body responds to insulin, carbs, heat, exercise, hormones etc.

It’s perfectly possible to lead a fulfilling life with it and even challenge yourself more than if you didn’t have it, keep positive though as mindset plays an integral part of your control and the injections get easier too try a distraction technique like humming your favourite song.

Best wishes - always someone around here to chat too :)
Thank you so much! Education is definitely key, I'm very keen to learn as much as I can but wasn't overly sure on where to look so thank you for the pointer :)

Reactions: Juicyj

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Helloooo!!

I'm 21 years only and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 weeks ago (had to spend the night in hospital)!

I was in my last few weeks of University so sort of had to be positive about the diagnosis, deal with it and focus on getting my work done..

Now I'm finished everything is starting to sink in a little more and I'm having some up and down days - took me 45 minutes to do an injection the other day, ridiculous as I had done almost 70 before that but just couldn't bring myself to do it!

Just wanted to know how other people have found their first few weeks/months after being diagnosed at a similar age and just be able to speak to others who understand it all!
I'm 22 but was diagnosed over 20 years ago so can't really help with the newly diagnosed feeling. However, I do want echo what is said above, you can live a fulfilling life and diabetes is just another part of it. It can be overwhelming at times, but remember you are doing the job of an internal organ (and people without long-term conditions also have bad days so you are perfectly justified to have them!) Have you looked into seeing if there are any local diabetes groups, or whether you have any friends of friends with diabetes? It's always nice to have other people to talk to! If not - feel free to get in touch :) this forum is great because everyone is so supportive and ready to answer any questions you might have, and I've learnt a lot from here as well! Welcome to the club x

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 17, near the end of my second year at uni. I was a very good diabetic, always did whatever I was told, but I constantly worried that I would die. Every minor symptom eg headache would upset me. As time went on and I didn't die, I slowly became less anxious about things, although i am still a very nervous, panicky person. Before I got my pump and CGM, I would fill in all the spaces in my log book and write down extra numbers and comments in the margins of the page. One thing that I found comforting was seeing that it was really very difficult to die of diabetes - people online told stories of how they made mistakes and took too much insulin, or deliberately took too much trying to die, and they lived - so I thought surely, trying my best to stay alive, I would be ok. It is very scary at times but if you are sensible and put in enough effort you will be ok! Also remember, even if you are the most perfect diabetic ever, bad things will still happen to you. If you have put in your best effort and still get a bad number, it is not your fault! Just try your best to fix it and move on, blaming yourself doesn't help!

EmmaJ99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed almost 7 weeks ago and I'm 18. I just took each day as it came which made it a lot easier, trying to remain positive. I have had a ton of support from friends/family and have even met new people on forums with type 1. This has helped me by allowing me to ask any questions necessary and just generally chat with amazing people. I will never let this bring me down, it's a part of me but does not control me

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed almost 7 weeks ago and I'm 18. I just took each day as it came which made it a lot easier, trying to remain positive. I have had a ton of support from friends/family and have even met new people on forums with type 1. This has helped me by allowing me to ask any questions necessary and just generally chat with amazing people. I will never let this bring me down, it's a part of me but does not control me
That is a brilliant positive attitude.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I was diagnosed about 51 years ago at age 13 ( please do not do the maths!!)
I remember being in hospital getting injections of insulin and the nurse gave me a glass syringe, an orange and and metal needle ( no pumps, meters or disposable needles and syringes in those days). I was to practice jabbing a needle into the orange.. That was a GREAT HELP NOT !!! I also had a looong delay putting my first needle into myself. The worst part is if I held the tip of the needle on my skin and tried to push it slowly in -->AGONY ! In the end I got mad at it and jabbed it in! But it was still not easy so for the first few months of having one needle each morning my Dad purchased an auto-injector. I attached the syringe and needle to the device, placed the extended ring 'target' on my skin and fired the trigger. I got there in the end. One thing I missed out on and learned later was that there were diabetes camps for kids. When you saw others giving their own injections it helped those that could not to try it. Subtle peer group pressure !! As an adult I helped out at such camps and saw it in action. The parents who attended also had some funny stories and humour is a great medicine. Like one 6 year old who was so shocked when his mum gave him his first injection at home he ran off with the needle and syringe wiggling in his bottom.!!
One of the wonderful things my current doctor says to all his young Type 1 patients is that they need to work on obtaining a good retirement plan. He is that confident that these days with all the gadgets and insulins and education that it is possible. I did University and found that regular exercise was a boon for keeping things stable, sugar-wise. I learnt to adjust for stresses like exams and free time I was off sailing, hiking and so on. I have a family, yes it is possible though I grant you I did not have to carry the babies inside myself!! I have had cataracts replaced and some wrist and finger troubles sorted all in the past 8 years or so but no major problems so again the weather report for your next 50 plus years is good too. Keep using the forum, the brain's trust that it is. It is all about balance, staying healthy, learning well, having interests and hobbies, going with the flow when needed and standing up and fighting the tide when also needed. Best Wishes.

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your posts! It makes me feel a lot better about it all :) when I had to do my first injection it took me AGES! When I eventually did it the nurse said because I took so long I had to do another one.. fail! 110 injections later and they're getting easier! Sitll get the occasional painful one or blood vessel but just got to deal with it!!

Reactions: Juicyj

CFitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bless you! You have my sympathy! I am a bit older than you (was diagnosed a year ago at 27) and its quite the shock right? I am still the same about injections sometimes! Its v weird, sometimes i just cant do them! Im not going to lie and say its easy but you will start to get used to daily life with it, start slowly with introducing your normal life back as it will take time to adjust. It can be overwhelming at times but you will get used to needing a sugary snack on you all the time etc. Be careful witj drinking if still at uni as that is one thing that can be v dangerous if your not a bit sensible. I still drink!! But i cant really get totally destroyed anymore as personally i dont trust myself to not lose control (alcohol can lower your blood sugar and you dont want a terrible hypo when people think youre just drunk!) i strongly recommend the freestyle libre (arm glucose sensor, its wonderful when it works but a bit expensive). Keep at it, but take your time and be very kind to yourself! Be honest with your mates and family too about your situation, the good ones will be there to help you and to take the weight off on those ****** days! x

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bless you! You have my sympathy! I am a bit older than you (was diagnosed a year ago at 27) and its quite the shock right? I am still the same about injections sometimes! Its v weird, sometimes i just cant do them! Im not going to lie and say its easy but you will start to get used to daily life with it, start slowly with introducing your normal life back as it will take time to adjust. It can be overwhelming at times but you will get used to needing a sugary snack on you all the time etc. Be careful witj drinking if still at uni as that is one thing that can be v dangerous if your not a bit sensible. I still drink!! But i cant really get totally destroyed anymore as personally i dont trust myself to not lose control (alcohol can lower your blood sugar and you dont want a terrible hypo when people think youre just drunk!) i strongly recommend the freestyle libre (arm glucose sensor, its wonderful when it works but a bit expensive). Keep at it, but take your time and be very kind to yourself! Be honest with your mates and family too about your situation, the good ones will be there to help you and to take the weight off on those ****** days! x
Thank you so much for this reply! Really made my day definitely need to adjust still and accept that it's going to take a while! I've heard from others that the cgm is really great so definitely going to speak to my nurse and gp about it! I've finished uni now (luckily) and not a huuuuge drinker anyway so shouldn't be a major issue - just means guaranteed kebab at the end of the night really nice to have a message like this - makes me feel so much better about it all!! X