What’s your hardest struggle with diabetes?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is absolutely the incidental exercise causing the problems, I can sit at my desk and have perfect flat numbers but if I brush my teeth or something I will be dropping. One night I sat still, next night I got ready for bed, both were at the same time no major differences between the days and first night I was great, next night I dropped. Since realising this fact I have managed to prevent a lot of lows, but it makes my day extremely difficult. I've talked to my doctors, of course nobody else in the universe is anywhere close to this insulin sensitive so they haven't experienced it in other patients, they just tell me to keep doing what I am doing and maybe try some intense exercise to get my blood sugar up. Sorry for the rant my blood sugar is high right now and I am not even thinking straight.

Sounds like you've explored the avenues you can since otherwise things are fairly flat. I thought I was really sensitive with a low basal requirement and 1u capable of dropping me up to 5.7 depending on the time of day. When I account for 'planned exercise' as it's called I am able to drop a good percentage of my bolus doses.

Hope your high is on the way down. :)

Reactions: flexi06

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
You could probably argue for just about any of the effects it has on you, but sleep has probably done the most damage to me over the years. All those days of not being able to fall asleep due to crazy heartbeat, sweating and so on, or waking up in the middle of the night that way, or waking up when you're supposed to but feeling like you never fell asleep at all, or when you don't wake up when you're supposed to despite the alarm because of a severe hypo or whatever. Yeah, sleep for me, I think.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stupid mornings at the moment. Because going to bed with a level of 6.2 and by the time I've got up and ready and walked kids to school and got to work and then made breakfast I'm at 10.5 is no fun.

I do know the theory and I do know the eat immediately you wake up and I have managed slightly better in the past. Just two kids and a cat on medication and life doesn't work that way. I'd really like to know what my body is thinking, because the same thing happens in the mornings if I've eaten a few chocolate digestives at bedtime and gone to bed with levels of 13. And I know which one I'd rather do... ;)

Last edited:

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I’m with @phdiabetic for me it’s exercise- but for different reasons. I’m so tired that any exercise is killing me. All I can manage is walking and I just want to be laying down all the time. I think it’s more to do with menopause hormones not balanced correctly- which I hope to get sorted ONE DAY - but having to be active to keep the numbers down is exhausting and demoralising as I keep thinking “surely this will get easier, the fitter I get, the more weight I lose-and maybe it will - but it has not happened yet. It’s still ridiculously hard and I feel about 85 instead of 49.
Try earl grey tea for the menopausal symptoms it helped me a great deal, I felt human again!

P

pollensa

Coffee shops not stocking any low carb snacks! Prèt a Manger is the exception to the rule here though, lovely range of low carb foods and good nutritional info available.
why dont you simply take your own low carb snacks in your bag, when sitting have a lovely coffee, I always take my seed crackers to a restaurant as do not eat bread, and I explain to the waiter why, and they are absolutely fine about it, so problem solved

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why dont you simply take your own low carb snacks in your bag, when sitting have a lovely coffee, I always take my seed crackers to a restaurant as do not eat bread, and I explain to the waiter why, and they are absolutely fine about it, so problem solved

Hi Pollensa, that’s exactly what I do now!

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try earl grey tea for the menopausal symptoms it helped me a great deal, I felt human again!

Hi @Ann1982 I don’t think I like it but I’m willing to give it a try, ( I got used to green tea after forcing myself to drink it) do you know the reasons behind it? How many cups a day

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My desire for bread...
IMG_3320.jpg

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggled with bread, crackers (for cheese) and a breakfast cereal replacement.........until this week. I have not been one to follow lo carb recipes for replacements until I followed a couple of links from here and really enjoyed coconut porridge, low carb garlic bread and the crackers made from seeds, almond flour and coconut oil. I have really enjoyed them, not sure why I thought I wouldn't.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, and this has only been in the last two to three years of nearly twenty, has been the mild hypochondria brought on by the slight worsening of my retinopathy......

The hypochondria now subsided after being looked at again and again and insisting that the eye doctor explains in details what's going on....

I am quite overweight I would say and although I don't blame the insulin for it, I do believe its not helping me.....this isn't a struggle though, its just what it is......im still generally healthy....I can run about with the kids, hike up hills, so life's good..

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The constant effort required to maintain good control and unpredictability. I find even a good day takes effort and a bad day the same effort but with worse consequences following a low or high blood sugar!
That said, my HbA1c is the best it’s ever been and I feel so much more in control so if I was asked this question years ago I would have said control in general.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ann1982 I don’t think I like it but I’m willing to give it a try, ( I got used to green tea after forcing myself to drink it) do you know the reasons behind it? How many cups a day
I just took a couple of cups a day it apparently has something to do with the bergamot in it but fortunately I liked it anyway

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it's finding foods that have the familiar crunch and crackle of things like crisps, chips, a baguette etc... I'm a very sensory eater and these are things I miss the most! Lots of nice substitutes, but nothing has quite matched up to it yet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ignorant people recommending faith healers and weight loss surgery.
Honestly Heck off I already have it tough with my illness, I dont need judgement on top of it.
Also I have t1 and weight loss cant cure it anyway

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yep mine is doing guesstimates for carb calculations I tend to use Carbs and cals alot when i eat out, however it's not a guarantee I can get the calculation right as the foods might look similar but the carb values can be different and then getting it wrong and paying the price with corrections for hours afterwards..

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other frustration is the inconsistency. Same breakfast, same routine = completely different BG levels. & if one more Dr or DN says "it's all about carb counting" then I'll scream!!

Same here, mine is often entirely unpredictable, for instance yesterday I had pasta bake for lunch and a twirl, followed by a brisk 20 min walk round town (I work virtually in the middle of Marlow town centre), my sugar levels went up to about 13-14 for a number of hours til they started coming down at a fair old rate at about 4ish (y'know just before I'm getting ready to drive home - not helpful!), today, ate exactly the same things* and again went on a brisk walk around Marlow again, and it hasn't risen above 7.

So yeah the unpredictability for me is the worst, sometimes the insulin kicks in quickly, other times it takes its stinking time.

* I tend to batch cook my meals for lunch cos it means less cooking, less washing up and less effort :)

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finding something suitable to eat for lunch when not at home, so no real struggle at all. Those having a hard time, especially on Insulin, have my full sympathy.
Agree with Mr pot. I've only been diagnosed type 2 less then eight weeks, I felt hard done to and annoyed at times but after reading what some of you people have to go through day after day I, ve really got nothing to moan about. So like Mr pots you have my fullest sympathy.