7 Weeks Pregnant.

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I am 7 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed Diabetic in November 2017, with an HB1AC at 99 mmol/ml (11.2%) and have been LCHF diet since then.
No medication were given and I have had history of pancreatitis (at very young age) and its still not concluded if I am type 1 or type 2.
Latest HB1AC in March - 50 mmol/ml (6.7%) and I got LMP March end and I AM PREGNANT :) (This is an unexpected positive news after having been trying for 4 years)

I have been in for an early viability scan at 6 weeks and doctors say all looks good so far. Have been given Folic Acid tablets by them.
Next appointment to see diabetic midwife and a consultant is in June at 10th week.

Can you please help me understand if I need to do something else than diet control as normal?
Also, how may times should I test my sugar levels in a day?

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Congratulations!

For now test as usual before and after meals. Talk to your medical team and ask what they suggest. Pregnancy hormones really affect insulin sensitivity so you may need medication.

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply :)
Sure, I am trying to do test 6 times a day, and have had good reading so far.
Keeping the fingers crossed and hoping to hear from others who have had similar and successful pregnancies.

Regards!

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

I have been monitoring my sugar levels via meter, and do get after meals (1hour) at 8 or 9 sometimes (when I am slight peckish in the meal).
My fasting are everyday under 6 for last few weeks.

Just scared that few spikes to 8 or 9 afer meals can cause harm to baby?

Please advice...

Thanks!!

BAZ-ANDREWS

@B2Reading

Hiya lovely, congratulations!

I wouldn’t worry about a few 8’s and 9’s, it sounds like you have excellent control and you’re testing lots which is important so well done. I’m currently 12 weeks pregnant so have seen my team a couple of times and they don’t seem concerned about the occasional 8 or 9, as long as it’s not elevated for a long time it isn’t going to do bubba any harm.

If you’re staying between the recommended 4-7.8 the majority of the time then you’re nailing it :)

Good luck xx

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
@BAZ-ANDREWS

Thank you so much, its really re-assuring.
I have my appointment with Diabetic Midwife and team on 7th June, so hoping to know more after they see my readings record.

Will post an update here soon :)

Good Luck to you too...
We all know pregnancy is hard and we have another fight in parallel... God Bless us all :)

Love x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats and take good care of you.check your suger levels 6-8 times a day and ofcourse you need to adject your medication as required.good luck

Reactions: B2Reading

B2Reading

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

Had my appointment with Diabetic consultant, midwife and Obs Consultant.
As I have had few readings above target (after meals), they suggested to start insulin (rapid release for 2 main meals).

I am 10+6 today.

Anyone else on same page? I have been assured I can go off insulin after delivery, so hanging on to it.

Thanks xx

Last edited:
Reactions: CranberryIce