Funny, if it wasn't so stupid.

Have you had your Metformin prescription frequency changed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got on well with Metformin for the week or so I tried it. I'm hoping I'll still be able to get on with it, because my HbA1c review with my doc is tomorrow, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'll be telling me to start it again based on what my meter has been telling me for months now.

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only ever had one month's worth of Metformin per prescription, though I've only been taking it for 9 months. I get free prescriptions despite being only 59 - you get a form signed by the doctor and will then be sent an exemption certificate that lasts for 5 years. I also don't have any side side effects from Metformin, aside from the occasional loose stool. I'm on 4 tablets a day- 2000mg.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Yes some people get side effects but each person prescribed it will need to find out how it affects them as an individual.

As you say, different people have different reactions. I was one of those who had life changing side effects. Life changing because I stopped going out and was scared to even leave the house. Traveling anywhere was a misery. However, if anyone is about to start taking Metformin (or any other drug) I would say "take it".

If and only if it causes problems should an alternative be considered.

I first started taking it in 1997 with a break of 3 years because of the side effects, but at least I tried. The Rosiglitazone I took in it's place was even more disastrous at it affected my liver function and is no longer available because of that. I've now been taking it since 2003 and certainly since I've been on a low carb diet, no real problems.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but I need to address this comment about Metformin incase anyone just prescribed it reads this. I have been on Metformin for just over a year now and after a week or so stomach upset I am able to take it with no side effects whatsoever. So I don’t have to “put up with it”. Yes some people get side effects but each person prescribed it will need to find out how it affects them as an individual.
I kind of agree but have to say there are quite a few threads started by people on the forum who have had all sorts of stomach problems with it that have never been correctly identified by their doctors as side effects and have been put through sometimes years of pointless tests for other conditions. It is good to warn users that Metformin can have very nasty side effects. Some doctors may not see these as side effects but they should be publicised so that users can understand what may be happening. It is not the "completely safe" drug that some claim. I know that you haven't said that but some do.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I kind of agree but have to say there are quite a few threads started by people on the forum who have had all sorts of stomach problems with it that have never been correctly identified by their doctors as side effects and have been put through sometimes years of pointless tests for other conditions. It is good to warn users that Metformin can have very nasty side effects. Some doctors may not see these as side effects but they should be publicised so that users can understand what may be happening. It is not the "completely safe" drug that some claim. I know that you haven't said that but some do.
I do agree that people need to be aware of potential side effects and every prescription should come with a data sheet which will list them. Also some people may suffer unlisted effects too and Drs should acknowledge them. However I was just pointing out that @QPR4Me ’s statement “I don’t know how anyone can put up with Metformin” could put people off even giving it a try when they might derive benefit from it, and like me tolerate it well. I was just attempting to redress the balance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do agree that people need to be aware of potential side effects and every prescription should come with a data sheet which will list them. Also some people may suffer unlisted effects too and Drs should acknowledge them. However I was just pointing out that @QPR4Me ’s statement “I don’t know how anyone can put up with Metformin” could put people off even giving it a try when they might derive benefit from it, and like me tolerate it well. I was just attempting to redress the balance.
OK point taken... still friends? Hugs...x

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin for years, 2x 1000mg per day and I'm one of the lucky ones that have had no side effects at all. Like people have said we are all different. :)

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing about side effects (for all medicines, not just Metformin) we are given a patient information leaflet that list the side effects BUT as I have discovered from personal experience, not all side effects are listed. Googling for research stuff can throw up many other known after effects. Also, after effects may not materialise for years, by which time they are put down to other things, usually old age (such as dementia or arterial calcification) . Before taking any medicines it is always worth some research.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having had a trip to the doctors on Thursday, was told I can only have 25 days supply of one of my medications. When I pointed out that getting appointments at that frequency was difficult, it was suggested that I try ‘taking less’. You do wonder sometimes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I couldn't understand why my Metformin ran out way ahead of any other prescribed meds. The answer was simple, the prescription amount had been halved, it was still 2 x 2 500mg per day, just one months supply. No warning which is irritating. When I discovered who had halved it I could see where the breakdown in communication was.

So I asked at the surgery I was told that an external pharmacist had audited all the prescriptions and reduced the number of tablets being prescribed, where they thought fit. Supposedly a cost saving exercise, which makes no sense whatsoever. I have to renew the prescription every month, instead of two months (minimal cost to me, just a pain in the neck). The GP has to sign two scripts (significant increase in workload as Metformin is commonly prescribed to type IIs). My local pharmacist has to dispense twice the number of scripts (significant increase as for GP). So, where's the cost saving?

I would be interested in discovering how many people who are prescribed Metformin are experience the same sort of nonsense.
I'm not.
A few years ago I was changed from 3monthly metformin to monthly (4wks). Due to different endocrinologist and my burn out.
I prefer monthly as my prescriptions get delivered. They already look like a Chinese takeaway delivery. Ha ha

I'd ask GP to change back to 3 monthly if possible and if what you want.
Just returned on mine on Monday but have a month's supply already in my cupboard.

I hear many subscribers miss a tablet or 2 over their years of use. Some have it prescribed and refuse to take it and its sitting in their cupboard. :(

Ive been off metformin 3 months and I've missed its benefit every day. Having to inject more insulin and higher fbgs and other bgs. I've added 2st. Missed periods and been on an emotional roller-coaster of hormone changes. Oh and of course the old fashioned pregnant like tummy. Hugely affecting my bad back.
After a few days I feel huge improvement.

I need 17 different items which need issuing by prescription.
I'm thankful not all issued 3 monthly otherwise my kitchen cupboards would become a miniature chemist. Then there's the other 3 members of the family.
Mr ickihun still gets his 2 meds 3 monthly.