What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those of a sensitive disposition who should hide for the rest of the day. My pals chaos and mayhem are out and about unrestrained.
A 7.3 for me today
I'm and all of me's are under the marital thumb today.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a shower a few months ago after work, did the blood test, entered the carbs and pressed bolus before food, an hour later went to the bathroom and the pump was still on the window sill lol

I put my pump on -100% temp basal for showers. Anyway once I got out, turned off the temp basal and put it in my pocket but forgot to reconnect to my body. Remarkably, my blood sugar was a bit low for a while after so I kept eating random things to keep it level. Once I finally recovered, I decided to have a big meal (maybe 40g carbs?). I bolused for all of it not realising my pump tubing was dangling uselessly out of my pocket. Thankfully I realised my error before anything bad happened, and a quick bolus combined with some exercise dealt with things nicely, but I was really stupid for a while there! My pump must have been squirting basal and bolus into the air for at least an hour before I reconnected ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Since I increased my prednisolone last week there has not been a day when I have not had a reading showing in the red on mySugr app and the predicted A1c is steadily going up now have had a letter from nuerologist suggesting that I increase preds yet again, not happy.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well what can I say a truly horrific 17.2, yes you read it right, some one who will remain nameless (ME) forgot to turn his pump back on after their bath last night after doing a full set change!! So today will be mostly chasing the rainbow to reduce the numbers and corrective doses all day, and fight the tiredness that I'm already experiencing. oh well everyday is a learning day!

Take care everyone.
Hugs johnpol

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Fenn Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here in my signature is the link to the Basic Information for new members and I hope you will find it useful. Also a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 6.6 today at 9am. A rainy start here in the Midlands but it will be good for the plants. Enjoy your Friday and the weekend folks.:)
Update: Just after testing I had 1/2 slice of toasted cheese for breakfast followed by my Gliclazide tablet. Retested after 2 hours and up to 10.7!

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
When do you guys tend to test your fasting sugars? When you wake up, or before the first time you eat? The reason I ask is that I don't eat for at least 6 hours after waking, and the difference between my fbg upon waking and then before I eat for the first time are extremely different.

6.1 today before my first meal.
Hi vanillapie. I test my fbs just after getting out of bed and washing my hands to help ensure an accurate reading. I eat my breakfast just after testing then take my gliclazide.:)

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you guys tend to test your fasting sugars? When you wake up, or before the first time you eat? The reason I ask is that I don't eat for at least 6 hours after waking, and the difference between my fbg upon waking and then before I eat for the first time are extremely different.

6.1 today before my first meal.

I test upon waking to get fbs and then again just prior to eating, unless I eat promptly after waking.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Since I increased my prednisolone last week there has not been a day when I have not had a reading showing in the red on mySugr app and the predicted A1c is steadily going up now have had a letter from nuerologist suggesting that I increase preds yet again, not happy.

Pred. is nasty evil very effective steroid. I'm on 10mg dose a day for life and I have been told that it makes controlling diabetes very difficult, which I have proved to be correct. Please be aware that there are many medics who do not understand how pred. affects controlling diabetes. Hopefully you should only be on pred. for a short time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been off grid for a couple of days helping my son and his wife settle into their new home. BG readings have been very weird I hope due to their eccentric/exotic handwash. Was 5.1 yesterday but since some meals have seen me in 6s I have refused to test today and although I have entered all readings on MySugr I will delete them all and hope my June HbA1C has not been too badly impacted.
This has made me realise how reliant I am on homemade food as there is very little off the shelf I will eat when travelling or staying with other people. Proper wake up call for ever leaving my own home:banghead: Still have a 3/3.5 hr journey home and may unwittingly ended up fasting and stewing in my own juices re seeing numbers in 6s

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Pred. is nasty evil very effective steroid. I'm on 10mg dose a day for life and I have been told that it makes controlling diabetes very difficult, which I have proved to be correct. Please be aware that there are many medics who do not understand how pred. affects controlling diabetes. Hopefully you should only be on pred. for a short time.
Yes it's nasty alright been taking them an unbelievable 17 years now a reluctant neurologist had allowed me to step them down to 10 mg a day but now having to go back up to 20 mg daily so going to take me a while to get things back under control if possible.

They are why I'm diabetic. My neurologist just says well diabetes not as important as your myasthenia gravis and you just have to accept it.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes it's nasty alright been taking them an unbelievable 17 years now a reluctant neurologist had allowed me to step them down to 10 mg a day but now having to go back up to 20 mg daily so going to take me a while to get things back under control if possible.

They are why I'm diabetic. My neurologist just says well diabetes not as important as your myasthenia gravis and you just have to accept it.

I have been told the same for my liver problems, but trying to get the diabetic nurses and doctors to accept this is a constant battle. Good luck and be firm with diabetes lot. Luckily for me my diabetic consultant accepts my liver takes priority.
I guess your days of low blood sugar readings like me are gone.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I guess your days of low blood sugar readings like me are gone
For now at least, trouble is my GP views me as T2 and does not get the difference on the other hand the diabetes consultant was quite huffy with me when I described my self as T2 he said no you are drug induced T3E I didn't really see the difference myself till recently thats why I have changed my profile to other now.