Magnificent May Fast!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious - when you eventually break your extended fasts, do these numbers stick around, or do you find you go back to 'normal' (i.e. before the fast)?
Sometimes I can get a bit of an overreaction with some higher than usual BG numbers in the days immediately after a fast. I guess its because my pancreas has been sleeping and then suddenly gets a rather rude awakening. Seems it takes a while to get back to normal production.

Reactions: vanillapie and rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am thanks and blood tests all came back normal. Just the normal debate about cholesterol.
Ah that old chestnut.. one day they'll get all the info and we won't have to have "those" conversations any more.

Reactions: rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last set of numbers for today 135 hours fasted

BG 4.0
Ketones 5.4

Keep forgetting to salt my coffee so may be a bit low today.
Been out and about so quite busy looking forward to lunch on Sunday and the bacon in the fridge looks more enticing by the minute!

Good luck to anyone still fasting out there and see you all tomorrow.
M

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
end of evening data.....

Fasting:- 121 hrs 40 mins (5 Days 1hr 41 mins) I think!

BG 4.0
Ketones 5.7

I am ending tomorrow sometime when i feel like it. There are a few items in the fridge that need munching on. I will end it with a zero carb meal of some description. I havent decided yet.

Good luck everyone

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Last set of numbers for today 135 hours fasted

BG 4.0
Ketones 5.4

Keep forgetting to salt my coffee so may be a bit low today.
Been out and about so quite busy looking forward to lunch on Sunday and the bacon in the fridge looks more enticing by the minute!

Good luck to anyone still fasting out there and see you all tomorrow.
M
that is really weird how close our figures are becoming.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lmao I’m talking about the numbers
I do think there’s a baseline for me that I rarely go below.. 4 seems to that number for BG and I very rarely go any lower. I guess that’s as low as my body wants to go on it’s own..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning fabulous fasters..hope you all slept well..

Numbers for this morning

FBG 4.0
Ketones 6.1
Weight 206.4 weight loss seems to be slowing
Body fat 28.3% go no idea where that came from!
Visceral fat 12
BMI 28.0

Woke up at 6 for no apparent reason cat was still asleep so can't blame him! Feel good though so quite ready for the last full day. Hope everyone has fun.
Catch you all later
M

Edit to add just realised that is the lightest I have been since starting this journey.. probably since I was a teenager...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Morning my fellow Sugar magnets....

Here are the scores on the doors as at 0847 hrs

FBG 3.8
Ketones 6.2
Weight 71.15 kg - 11st-2.9 lbs - 156.9 lbs
Body Fat 15.9
Visceral Fat 7.5
BMI 22
Resting HR 54 (thats a new one I found on my phone lol)

I feel great, when I say great I really do mean it. Im buzzing. I have lost weight, my Visceral, body fat, BMi have decreased but I have also lost some lean mass which is to be expected. If my previous fasts are anything to go by then approx 75% of the weight loss will stay off and I will regain about 30%.

This has been a water fast only. Thats actually a lie. I have a shocking admission to make. I would say that 95%+ of my liquid intake has been Pepsi MAX!! (oh the horror) . I cant explain why........(well I know why because I drank it) but it helped me enormously. I also have read I shouldn't drink it. I am a person that will try anything and I listen to my body within reason, it definitely helped me although I would certainly never recommend anyone else do it. Talk about double standards!!! I thought it prudent to be honest.

I will try and post a better write up after I end my fast

ROLL on the halloumi chips and bacon!!!!!!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My Observations
Firstly well done everyone, this has and still is been riveting.

Here's my results Saturday 26th May 18 (3 days after 66.5 hour fast, using Tanita scales as authoritive))

Weight - 83.1 Kgs (DOWN 1.5 kg)
BMI - 25.7 (DOWN 0.4)
Body Fat - 9.3 % (DOWN 1.6%)
Water - 66.9 % (UP 1.3%)
Muscle Mass - 71.7 Kgs (NO CHANGE)
Body Type – 9 (NO CHANGE)
Bone Mass - 3.7 Kgs (NO CHANGE)
Basal M Rate - 2154 kcal (DOWN 3 kcal)
Visceral Fat – 5.5 % (DOWN 0.5%)

Tanita.JPG

Overall I am happy, despite having to cut short my fasting. I have so far kept 57% of my weight loss (from 2.6 kg to 1.5 kg) - this I am satisfied with. BMI I do not worry about, as waist to height ratio is fine. I am delighted with the body fat, as this went down by 15%, half of which was 3 days after fast completion (Fitbit scales say from 10.9 to 8.6%).

At the end of the fast I had lost almost 2% of my muscle mass (a nod in my circumstances to Professors Volek and Phinney), then I had an exact restoration back (a nod to Dr Fung) - so for me they are all correct. I would have liked visceral fat to have gone to 5, as relative to my overall estimated fat 0.8% down compared to 15% seems mean (getting greedy).

Low Blood Sugars (2.2 / 2.4 mmo1)
I have been researching possible reasons for my having to stop my fast. Dr Eric Berg's video
has some ideas. I might need to ensure my potassium is in better shape. Although I depleted my glycogen stores, others have been exercising during their fasts. Next time I may drop my walks in half and ensure just 1 set of weights is always done. I will do some additional research on taking in either some fat after 48 hours or a little protein perhaps 2 oz.

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
My Observations

Here's my results Saturday 26th May 18 (3 days after 66.5 hour fast, using Tanita scales as authoritive))

BMI - 25.7 (DOWN 0.4)
Water - 66.9 % (UP 1.3%)

Overall I am happy, despite having to cut short my fasting. I have so far kept 57% of my weight loss (from 2.6 kg to 1.5 kg) - this I am satisfied with. BMI I do not worry about, as waist to height ratio is fine. I am delighted with the body fat, as this went down by 15%, half of which was 3 days after fast completion (Fitbit scales say from 10.9 to 8.6%).

At the end of the fast I had lost almost 2% of my muscle mass (a nod in my circumstances to Professors Volek and Phinney), then I had an exact restoration back (a nod to Dr Fung) - so for me they are all correct. I would have liked visceral fat to have gone to 5, as relative to my overall estimated fat 0.8% down compared to 15% seems mean (getting greedy).

I have been researching possible reasons for my having to stop my fast. Dr Eric Berg's video
has some ideas. I might need to ensure my potassium is in better shape. Although I depleted my glycogen stores, others have been exercising during their fasts. Next time I may drop my walks in half and ensure just 1 set of weights is always done. I will do some additional research on taking in either some fat after 48 hours or a little protein perhaps 2 oz.
What fantastic results. Well done. I also thought a while ago about Hypo.... however when I researched it I am happy whatever they go to. My body will make enough glucose if they drop too low for my own body system. Thats what I gleaned from the reading I did. So I dont give lowBG a second thought with the proviso I am feeling ok.

Again well done. Its great to see people make a difference.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Observations

BMI - 25.7 (DOWN 0.4)
Water - 66.9 % (UP 1.3%)

View attachment 26715

Thanks for coming back with all these figures very interesting.. I'll do a start to finish tomorrow morning and then update in a couple of days.

Reactions: rab5 and Pipp

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Just ended my fast. All refeeding plans out the bl**dy window. Lol

Food tastes so good after a fast

5 days 17 hours fasting

I could easily have went on longer but for body reasons I think it prudent to stop

Report to follow

Edited by a Mod
Edited as fast length wrong by 12 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just ended my fast. All refeeding plans out the bl**dy window. Lol

Food tastes so good after a fast

5 days 5 hours fasting

I could easily have went on longer but for body reasons I think it prudent to stop

Report to follow
Important thing is you knew when to stop.
How did your refedding differ from the plan you had?

Last edited by a moderator: