Fasting

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any advice for Type 1s on occasional fasting, just, say, missing out one meal in a day from time to time.
I kind of assumed that my basal insulin would keep my blood sugar steady over the missed meal. Well, that didn't work! So what should that be telling me? Thank you in advance for any help.

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone have any advice for Type 1s on occasional fasting, just, say, missing out one meal in a day from time to time.
I kind of assumed that my basal insulin would keep my blood sugar steady over the missed meal. Well, that didn't work! So what should that be telling me? Thank you in advance for any help.

Providing your basel is set correctly you should be able to fast safely. The fact your BG is not stable when missing a meal indicates that you need to look at your basel rates. Bolus calculations/ratios may also need looking at.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Liz - it should be fine to fast as and when as your bolus is there to just cover the carbs eaten, depending on which direction your bg levels went then you are either taking too much of too little basal.

psbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Occasional fasting has been working well for me. However, back on the 'trial and error' learning curve to balance things out having just changed from using Lantus to using Tresiba. About three weeks in and almost stabilised again....well as stabilised as you can be :rolleyes::happy:

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It would all depend on which meal it is going to be but if you are fasting that means it has to be either your last meal or first meal of the day. Also, what happened with your blood sugar when you fasted (what time of day)?

I do an AM fast for the first 1-2 hours upon waking up, usually take between 0.5-1.0 units of NovaRapid and do my fasted workout and this 7/10 times stops my post first meal spike or prevents me from going past 12mmol/L @ the 2 hour post meal mark. Most days it never goes past 8 mmol/L on 42G of carbs because of the fasted exercise; hope this helps if not feel free to ask some questions :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. It has opened my eyes to the fact that I can't expect to miss a meal and not test! I have found all your comments really helpful.

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. It has opened my eyes to the fact that I can't expect to miss a meal and not test! I have found all your comments really helpful.

Absolutely no problem! We all can learn from each others experience to further better our quality of life :)