Can Your A1c be too low? - Article

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then another told me if I don't take the metformin I would fall into a hypoglycemic coma and die
Wow that's a new level of ignorance...would love to know how stopping taking a BG "lowering" med can bring on hypo's

Reactions: dbr10

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow that's a new level of ignorance...would love to know how stopping taking a BG "lowering" med can bring on hypo's
Me too, I did ask her to repeat what she'd said twice, then I asked her to check my pulse to see if I was still alive because I had not taken any for 5 weeks, a friend here (I live in France) is type 2 and takes insulin, his doc told him to eat plenty of French bread because it's good for him, so he eats 2 baguette s a day, half a baguette puts my glucose higher than eating sweets.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I did ask her to repeat what she'd said twice, then I asked her to check my pulse to see if I was still alive because I had not taken any for 5 weeks, a friend here (I live in France) is type 2 and takes insulin, his doc told him to eat plenty of French bread because it's good for him, so he eats 2 baguette s a day, half a baguette puts my glucose higher than eating sweets.
Lived in France for three years before diagnosis.. too many baguettes and croissants I fear tipped me over the edge .. that and the three stone in weight I gained while there.. carbs everywhere and far too tasty..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They told me mine was far too low, stop taking metformin and eat a lot more carbs, can't believe some of the things the docs. Come out with. Then another told me if I don't take the metformin I would fall into a hypoglycemic coma and die. Unbelievable.

Unbelievable! I marked your post as funny, but that isn't really funny, it is appalling advice.. There isn't a symbol for appalling advice.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unbelievable! I marked your post as funny, but that isn't really funny, it is appalling advice.. There isn't a symbol for appalling advice.
It's a good job we have this site, also my mother developed type2 in the 1970's her doc told her reduce carbs to the minimum, she had no meds for 35years and just a urine test and had no problems.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There should be a *** symbol it would get used on here quite a lot.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a good job we have this site, also my mother developed type2 in the 1970's her doc told her reduce carbs to the minimum, she had no meds for 35years and just a urine test and had no problems.
My mum was T1D from the 1940's and lived a good (sweet) life despite it. I am amazed at how she did it all those years and only had problems at the end. All done with urine tests too - she never had a meter. The concept of carbs was not really understood in those days, and she did not restrict our diet at all. We did have sugar rarioning though which I remember.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My mum was T1D from the 1940's and lived a good (sweet) life despite it. I am amazed at how she did it all those years and only had problems at the end. All done with urine tests too - she never had a meter. The concept of carbs was not really understood in those days, and she did not restrict our diet at all. We did have sugar rarioning though which I remember.
I think people just eat less and their meals were more predictable and at the same time each day.

Reactions: caius2x8

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

My hubby's best friend was T1, diagnosed aged 9 in about 1954. Similar scenario in that he had no meter throughout and relied on urine sticks. He didn't restrict carbs very much, and stuck to regular eating patterns. He got very aggitated if a meal was delayed for some reason. He was sensible with his insulin and did his best, but he wasn't as lucky as your mum. He ended up with every complication going, including a kidney transplant, and died when he was 40.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My wifes cousin and his twin brother both diagnosed in infancy as T1 he is in his late sixies now still going strong unfortunately his brother died at an early age of complications.

The only problem her cousin has had apart from hypos that I can think of is when he accidentally cut his big toe off while mowing the lawn a few years ago and spent a long time in hospital as healing was very slow.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If only that were true I would be ecstatic.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If only that were true I would be ecstatic.
WARNING. BAD LANGUAGE follows. Shield your eyes.

Nope. We ate the life of Riley. We had puddings with most meals such as Baked Alaska, Pavlova, Sticky toffee pudding, Mocha Cream. My mum was an avid cake baker, with Betty Crocker Devils Chocolate a family favourite (with fudge ice topping) lots of marzipan iced sponges etc. Always a Sunday roast with yorkshire pud, stuffing balls and loads of roast and duchess potatoes (or croquette), Duck a l'orange, rabbit pies etc. She was a marvellous cook, and although we had Betty Crockers, most of what she served up was made from scratch. Her curries were phenomenal (she came from Bombay).

Edit: Sorry, think this should have been a reply to Bluetit1802 and Bruciebonus but my pooter is playing up since the major Bill Gates rewrite last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
<<<>>>
I think that the nutrition advice came originally from the wartime era. At that time, being diabetic was just that, there was no real distinction between T1D and T2D et al. The treatment for ALL was the same. Insulin and yet more insulin, So a diet with carbs made sense at that time. The Banting Diet was only aimed at treating epilepsy (and is still used today for that)

PHE and NICE need to get their heads around the fact that home monitoring is possible and useful and that for both sets of diabetics, then a low carb eat to meter approach can work for a lort of patients. But they are stuck in the days of yore and not willing to do any sensible research into this. Pity, coz its killing people unecessarily. But it sustains employment for a lot of fat cats and professors. I remember the argument put forward as to why the Gov does not ban smoking outright is because they cannot afford to lose the tax revenue stream.

Edit to add: Apologies, I just clicked the general reply button, but it seems to have attached me to a posting by KK123. I have deleted that text to avoid confusion since mine is a non sequiteur.

Edit to Edit: I think Cortana is upset with me coz I refuse to talk to her. I don't talk to the walls either. I talk to myself but only while I am winning the argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfect timing, just printing off a copy to take to my telling off appointment this afternoon, as they think my last HbA1c of 43 is too low :mad:

Along with 90 days of Libre data... An average BG of 6.6mmol with a standard deviation of ±1.7 - not as low an SD as in the article, but not bad, I don’t think!

Ooh, are you an atkinser?
If not, how ya do that?

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat less and more regularly

That's pretty much what my grandmother did. She ate I,d say no more than half a side plate a meal, 3x a day. She was pretty slim and lived to a fair age.

Personally, I find side plates a little too crunchy. Like those pork scratchins. Break me teeth on them, oof.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
WARNING. BAD LANGUAGE follows. Shield your eyes.

Nope. We ate the life of Riley. We had puddings with most meals such as Baked Alaska, Pavlova, Sticky toffee pudding, Mocha Cream. My mum was an avid cake baker, with Betty Crocker Devils Chocolate a family favourite (with fudge ice topping) lots of marzipan iced sponges etc. Always a Sunday roast with yorkshire pud, stuffing balls and loads of roast and duchess potatoes (or croquette), Duck a l'orange, rabbit pies etc. She was a marvellous cook, and although we had Betty Crockers, most of what she served up was made from scratch. Her curries were phenomenal (she came from Bombay).

Edit: Sorry, think this should have been a reply to Bluetit1802 and Bruciebonus but my pooter is playing up since the major Bill Gates rewrite last week.
I do so want to eat at your mother's and never mind my bg!