Fra.ta

Hi,
I live with my boyfriend since 1 year, he has diabetes 1 since he was 16.
His hba1c are always between 8 and 8.9.
Because I am the one who cooks at home, I always try to make low carbs meals for us, to help him control the blood sugar level, because he has big issues to control it when we eat something like Pasta, Pizza etc, going 'often' over 300.
I know many of you will tell me that he has to learn how to control his blood sugar alone, and that the a low carbs diet doesn't necessarily give him a good hba1c, but in his case, high blood sugar levels are (for the most) results of meals with high carbs.

It is a sacrifice for me, because I really love carbs, but for him I am happy to make healthy choices.
The problem is that he cant's stop eating junk food, and especially drinking beer, making all my hard work useless.

Today for example, I made a nice salad and plain chicken for lunch, then we went to the supermarket and while I was forcing my self to leave everything unhealthy I would like to eat, I only took vegetables, fish and meet; then he arrives with a box of ice-creams, and even if I asked him to leave them there, he didn't listen to me, and once at home, he had 3 of them in 2 hours, with a beer.

I am the first who says that he should have some days in the week where he can eat what he likes, to don't end up frustrated, but he can't manage to do it. Like with the ice creams, once he knows that they are in the freezer, he has to finish the box; until there is beer in the fridge he has to keep going drinking 1 or 2 bottles a day.

And let's also consider that in the week ends we go out to drink beer with our friends, where he will have 4-5 beers, and I never complain about that because I think diabetes shouldn't make him feel with a handicap when he is trying to have a good time with other peoples, but because of that, I recon he should keep an eye on the food when we are at home...

I really care for him and I am worried for our future together, that he could end up having big health issues still in a young age.
How can I try to make him understand this?
Maybe someone of you was also like him during the young age (he is 28), so what made you taking care of your diabetes?

Thanks in advance.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It,d be worth his while going to visit a haemodialysis dialysis ward. put a photo on the freezer door. Afterwards give him an old fashioned clock. Tell him his time is ticking away.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel for you. He is being irresponsible and at 28 he should have grown out of the 4-5 beers phase bearing in mind the carb content. You appear to be doing all the right things for him. I can't offer any advice but make sure you will be able to cope with someone long-term who doesn't have quite enough self-control with the diet.

Fra.ta

It,d be worth his while going to visit a haemodialysis dialysis ward. put a photo on the freezer door. Afterwards give him an old fashioned clock. Tell him his time is ticking away.

Good tip, that's probably the only thing that could work