Retail Therapy Ideas?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Buying strange musical instruments works perfect for retail therapy, and as a bonus you get free music therapy afterwards. And possibly problems with your neighbours. So far, I have obtained over the years a didgeredoo, an erhu (look it up and feel sorry for my neighbours) and an electric lap steel guitar. High on the wish list is a hurdy gurdy. I gave the instruments away after a few years, usually when meeting someone who got as excited about them as I was when I first had them.
Oh, and two months ago I bought a foosball table, that made me very happy for a while too. Now it's mainly a big object in my rather small living room, so I'm on the lookout for someone who will be as happy as I was with it. It was only 5 euro's in the thrift store and made at least for 6 weeks of happiness, not much for a bit of therapy I think :)
And books, especially childrens books. I'm a happy thrift store shopper.

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @AdamJames so glad to see you being a bit lighthearted since the beginning of your initial post:) Made me realize that things have become a bit of drudgery for me as well and I need some Retail Therapy - so thank you - the Hubby won't thank you though!!

My birthday is this coming week and so a perfect time to go shopping! I am going to head to our bookstore and get a new journal, new colored pens and get organized for recording my stats re: diabetes management. Oh, and some gold stars so that when I reach a particular goal, I can reward myself with a gold star, or two depending on the goal.

I know it is diabetes related, but it is fun to use the different colors for my wt, B/P, BGs Carbs, etc.......I'm not ready for flares, but, I did get myself some pinstripped summer capris - something I haven't worn for about 30years!! I was finally brave enough to wear something other than "solid color" bottoms:) Cheers/L

I'm afraid my retail therapy ended up being relatively boring and health-related also.

I just spent £12 on a pair of extra firm pillows. I've been on Naproxen all week for excruciating pain in the neck and shoulders and the only chance I get of a couple of hours of sleep a night is if I sleep on the couch with my head on the high arms, so I'm hoping firm pillows will have a similar effect. Whether they help or not they have strangely cured the need for Retail Therapy!

I hope you continue to enjoy your pin-stripes and have fun with your coloured pens. Sounds like Colour Therapy is the way to go for you!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Buying strange musical instruments works perfect for retail therapy, and as a bonus you get free music therapy afterwards. And possibly problems with your neighbours. So far, I have obtained over the years a didgeredoo, an erhu (look it up and feel sorry for my neighbours) and an electric lap steel guitar. High on the wish list is a hurdy gurdy. I gave the instruments away after a few years, usually when meeting someone who got as excited about them as I was when I first had them.
Oh, and two months ago I bought a foosball table, that made me very happy for a while too. Now it's mainly a big object in my rather small living room, so I'm on the lookout for someone who will be as happy as I was with it. It was only 5 euro's in the thrift store and made at least for 6 weeks of happiness, not much for a bit of therapy I think :)
And books, especially childrens books. I'm a happy thrift store shopper.

Some nice ideas there. I've just listened to someone playing an erhu - I recognised the sound but didn't know what they looked like. I don't think I can justify any more musical instruments just yet, I did get a classical guitar last year and have learned one tune on it. I can play the right notes in the right order, but the volume and timing are beyond my clumsy hands so far.

Reactions: Antje77

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought melodeons - musical instruments used for English folk dancing - I play for morris, and someone else plays one whilst I try to wrangle the youngsters to do Maypole and longsword dancing. I have a little collection now - they make me happy.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea about retail therapy but you’ve made me laugh, Thankyou

Thank you. Your comment couldn't have come at a better time for me. For such a small comment it's had a big impact on my mental health! We all need cheering up from time to time.

Reactions: Fenn

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
spoil yourself with some fancy handkerchiefs, a hat for the sun, some driving gloves. Personally I who rather buy a kite and fly it. Exercise, fresh air, adults (= big kids ) and little kids will come like flies and ooh and argh. And if you buy wisely the kite can be wall decoration as well. I ain't half biased but there it is.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Your comment couldn't have come at a better time for me. For such a small comment it's had a big impact on my mental health! We all need cheering up from time to time.

Exactly the same for me from yours, the darker the place we are in, the brighter we can shine, your post was a bright light through the gloom for me, Thankyou

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's freakin' hot in the Netherlands, so I bought a pair of cheap water guns and attacked my 8 year old neighbour. Gave him the second gun and had fun plus a free work out :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I treat myself every month to a facial and a pedicure, then if I’ve hit a weight loss target I have a massage. These I know are very personal treats but as I am trying to improve what happens inside my body it’s nice to do things that I see and feel the benefits from on the outside. Like many here I also needed to buy a new wardrobe which was lovely but at the same time a little bit stressful, I had to try everything on as I wasn’t sure what sizes to get, oh to have that problem is kind of fun, shall I buy the size that fits now or the size down :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, I hope that the OP is prepared for my bill because I am currently trying to stop myself from ordering a solid walnut console table.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's freakin' hot in the Netherlands, so I bought a pair of cheap water guns and attacked my 8 year old neighbour. Gave him the second gun and had fun plus a free work out :)

Haha! Brilliant :)

Mind you, what exactly is ****** hot for the Netherlands? -10C? Or is that Sweden I'm thinking of? It's all roughly the same area, isn't it, basically somewhere inside Iceland where all the reindeer are? My geography never was good...

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I hope that the OP is prepared for my bill because I am currently trying to stop myself from ordering a solid walnut console table.

Just have fun, treat yourself, and send me the bill :)

It won't get paid, but at least you won't have to look at it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Mind you, what exactly is ****** hot for the Netherlands? -10C? Or is that Sweden I'm thinking of? It's all roughly the same area, isn't it, basically somewhere inside Iceland where all the reindeer are? My geography never was good...
I'm at 53°18'30.1"N and 5°40'34.4"E, and I can't remember in which parts of the worlds they measure temperature in Fahrenheit and in Celsius, so to prevent confusion it was a very sunny day today at about 300.2 Kelvin.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

You need to do some serious research ... get a map.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm at 53°18'30.1"N and 5°40'34.4"E, and I can't remember in which parts of the worlds they measure temperature in Fahrenheit and in Celsius, so to prevent confusion it was a very sunny day today at about 300.2 Kelvin.

Kelvin! It's nice to see a solid scientific unit being used :) And actually that is pretty hot, far too hot for me, I can see why you brought out the big guns. Hopefully your reindeer didn't get too hot?

Reactions: Antje77

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to do some serious research ... get a map.

Hmmmm... perhaps I was being too deadpan. I'd like to think that the only people who could possibly think that the Netherlands was inside Iceland would be US presidents!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hmmmm... perhaps I was being too deadpan. I'd like to think that the only people who could possibly think that the Netherlands was inside Iceland would be US presidents!

There is a link there. Orange. Ahem, I'll get my coat.