Free Libre sensor issues

PNG1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello !

What is your experience with the FreeLibre sensors? I only had 3 deliveries (6 sensors) and 2 of them failed after few days for unknown reason.

Is everyone being questioned by Abbott as per below when trying to obtain replacement ?

Regards

Greg

1) The serial number of the faulty sensor, printed on the side of the sensor. Also, the serial number can be found in the FreeStyle LibreLink settings (SETTINGS -> ABOUT) as well as on the box of the sensor.

2) The serial number of the reader (if the sensor was activated with the reader first).

3) Date of sensor application, date of sensor failure.

4) Error message displayed on screen (if any) and error codes corresponding to the time of the fault. The codes are located in the LibreLink app under: Settings -> Help -> Event Log.

5) If this is a readings related issue, please provide readings from sensor scans and comparison BG test results, if possible with dates and times (for most accurate comparisons, BG test should be performed 5-10 minutes before sensor scan). Also provide model name of meter used for BG test (comparison has to be made to one of the Abbott meters or the built-in meter in Libre reader).

6) Was the sensor applied per instructions in the User's Manual, and was it kept in their respective storage and operating temperatures?

7) Any additional information which may be of importance.

8) Is the faulty sensor available for return? (Please do not discard faulty hardware until contacting Customer Care and receiving confirmation whether it should be returned for evaluation).

9) Did this issue result in medical attention (eg. Were the paramedics called)?

10) If our troubleshooting will request that a replacement device is sent, please confirm the delivery address.

11) What version operating system on your Android or Apple smartphone? (it can be found in the FreeStyle LibreLink app under Settings -> About -> OS Version).

12) What is the version of the FreeStyle LibreLink app installed on your smartphone? (it can be found in the FreeSyle LibreLink app under Settings -> About -> Software Version).

13) What is the exact model of your smartphone using FreeStyle LibreLink app?

14) Where did you obtain the sensor from (prescription / webshop)?

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
With the exception of one sensor early on that became incredibly unstable with 3 days left, I've had no issues not counting the odd 15min or so period of missing data with the sensors themselves. I'm using the reader and as of a few months back a Sony Xperia XA1 with LibreLink, always starting the sensor with the reader, and no issues there except the NFC reader on the phone being rubbish but no problems once actually scanned. I'm counting 15 empty boxes on my shelf right now that I haven't bothered throwing away, so all in all pretty solid in my experience.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only had to get two replaced, and they were about 8 weeks apart and it was late last year (so probably when they weren't nearly as busy).
Each time they wanted the sensor serial number (Q1)
On the first occasion it has all gone horribly wrong before I'd even used the reader to start it so they didn't need the reader S/N, the second one they did (Q2)
The dates in question were obviously from how I described the problem - ie. first one I stated was earlier this evening 2nd one was I put the sensor on last night (Q3)
They wanted the sensor error code for the second one (Q4)
Mine were not readings related so Q5 wasn't relevant
They did asks both times where I'd applied the sensor (Q6)
Yes they asked if I could return the sensor to them (Q8)
Yes they asked if the failure had required additional medical attention (Q9)
I think they checked the delivery address - in both cases I had it redelivered to work (Q10)
Q11-Q13 they didn't ask about at the time
Q14 I think I'd stated somewhere at the beginning of the calls that I'd got the sensor directly from them - but then I couldn't get them from anywhere else at the time anyway.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im currently trialing one.
Its great but obtaining sensors is another issue. They arent taking on new customers (good busibess heads ) for 28 days. Been on line .. no one sells them.
So back to finger pricking again for me.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Im currently trialing one.
Its great but obtaining sensors is another issue. They arent taking on new customers (good busibess heads ) for 28 days. Been on line .. no one sells them.
So back to finger pricking again for me.

Sensors are easy to get hold of (are you in the UK?)

35 quid at Superdrug. Mine arrive within 2 days of order.
Boots, Asda and Lloyds pharmacies will also sell them but for £45+.

Abbott is now prioritising pharmacies, so it's the best route to take.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the response
Our superdrug doesnt have a pharmacy !
Im going to try contacting there head office as £35 is a good price .
They looked at me like i was an alien when i asked in my local superdrug !

Reactions: urbanracer

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They looked at me like i was an alien when i asked in my local superdrug !
That sounds like the look I got when I asked in the Boots just round the corner from where I work - and that was at the pharmacy in there :)

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes.

I contacted them when my new sensor bought through their website showed accepted, wait an hour which I did then when I went to use it was asked to register a new sensor, which I had done!! then had to use another new one. Emails back and forward requesting replacement then got email replying with all the questions you stated. Replied as best I could then photographed my results log in. Eventually got a replacement one sent, after three weeks so had had to go back to old finger pricking.

Have now ordered another 2 from website so that is another £96. However results from Libre against finger pricking vary in some cases 2-3 blood results different. Don’t know whether to report this and ask for a replacement machine. What is the normal variants for blood results versus sensor results. Please advise. Like the idea but finding the variance scary as do not know which one to go by when I inject!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes.

I contacted them when my new sensor bought through their website showed accepted, wait an hour which I did then when I went to use it was asked to register a new sensor, which I had done!! then had to use another new one. Emails back and forward requesting replacement then got email replying with all the questions you stated. Replied as best I could then photographed my results log in. Eventually got a replacement one sent, after three weeks so had had to go back to old finger pricking.

Have now ordered another 2 from website so that is another £96. However results from Libre against finger pricking vary in some cases 2-3 blood results different. Don’t know whether to report this and ask for a replacement machine. What is the normal variants for blood results versus sensor results. Please advise. Like the idea but finding the variance scary as do not know which one to go by when I inject!

The Libre is not checking blood glucose levels, it's checking the glucose in the interstitial fluids under ther skin and making an estimate of your actual blood glucose levels. This gives it a 15 to 20 minute time lag, so if you do a finger prick at the same time as a Libre scan you get different results. Add in meter accuracy issues and they are unlikely to ever be the same but it does happen.

The Libre tells you which dircetion you're going in so the difference between a Libre and a traditional test will vary dependending on the rate of change of your actual glucose levels.

As for the sensor start up issue, I too have been round that loop, (I once had a sensor which started the 4th attempt, so that was 4 hours waiting in total.)

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst there is a lag, the testing data that has been done shows that for the Libre this is typically in the order of 4.5mins to 11mins, rather than 15-20 (source: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/dia.2014.0378)

And in my experience, the time lag varies.. It can be anywhere between a minute or two and 20 minutes with the same sensor and same meters. However, this is not important for me, as a T2, but it can be annoying!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just checked, and my nearest Superdrug pharmacy is about 26 miles away.
I'm not contemplating getting a sensor at the moment but that is a long way to go to save £10-£15.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked, and my nearest Superdrug pharmacy is about 26 miles away.
I'm not contemplating getting a sensor at the moment but that is a long way to go to save £10-£15.

My nearest is 12 miles away, where parking is a nightmare, so I won't be bothering either.