Type 1. 3 weeks diagnosed.

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will not attain perfect numbers at the moment, as your body will still be adjusting. I kept a food and results diary my first year and looking back on it it was all over the show. Luckily I was under no pressure from anywhere to achieve the perfect results and I just learnt to live and manage this disease in my own time. 5 years on things are on an even keel.
Re eating out, I remember having a bit of a panic attack the first time I went out. My choice of eatery probably not the wisest. No problems now, as I can look at things and have a rough idea of carb content. That comes with day after day experience. One suggestion as a starting block is Nando’s, not the most gastronomic or romantic I know (and indeed I always stuck my nose up at it!) However, we eat there after going to the cinema, they have all their nutritional info on line to digest before going, and also in paper form in restaurant. Every time I eat there I am always bang on in range afterwards. It would get you used to eating in public and dealing with injections. Then you will start to feel more adventurous. Oh and I always have a glass of wine too!

Oh that’s good I love Nando’s lol! Thank you so much

CornishKate

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone ever just think f**k diabetes!! Diagnosed type 1, 3 weeks ago now and I just feel like it is controlling everything. Feel like giving up driving lessons & luckily I only have 1 week left of college or I would have felt like dropping out. Me and y boyfriend lik going out for dinner at weekend and now we don’t.When does it get easier because it feels like it won’t ever.

Sorry for depressing post x
Hi Lorna,

Hang in there, I’m no expert yet as I am 9’weeks in BUT it already feels more settled than it did a few weeks ago. I still think about it pretty much all the time and have been nervous each time I’ve done something new like eat out, even going to the pics terrified me. My ratio of carbs has changed and changing my lantus to tresiba has really helped. It’ll get better xxx

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In over 51 years I have called diabetes every cuss word under the Sun. Somehow that made me feel better but the diabetes just stayed on !!
It perplexes, annoys and amazes me. But it taught me about a healthy diet, meaningful exercise, how to be brave, resilient and well prepared. And it shaped my life, occupation, hobbies and interests.
Focussing on and remembering the funny moments over the years is the best medicine. Some people get up to all sorts of things. Like a lady's husband and son betting on what her blood sugar will be. The loser does the washing up !!
If I start to go hypo my wife gives me black jelly beans. I have my coloured tongue to remind me to do better next time!
I am still learning about TID. And know that no-one is perfect with their control. We do the best we can and learn from each experience and each other.
Comparisons with others only made me feel inferior. I had to seek peace with myself. (and if I was not to blame then it was the weather, or someone at the South Pole or a gremlin).
Be kind with yourself. Worry just puts the sugars up. Over-vigorous exercise like a game of squash just made my blood sugars go up and later way down. Moderate exercise was the key.
Compared to 1966 when I was diagnosed ( and I have the delusion that I am still a spring chicken) today there is so much more known about diets, insulins and ways to deliver them, and ways to measure blood sugar, protect one's kidneys and so on.
And even if you do not wish to announce your condition to the whole world ( and few do) make sure you obtain a necklace or bracelet so that someone like an ambulance officer can identify that you have diabetes. Be prepared, love life, cultivate your friends, interests and make sure you work on a good retirement plan.