Hello!

Vickio

Hi, I was just diagnosed on Thursday after a routine blood test, I have been told I'm type 2 but can't get to see a nurse for another two weeks. I have had gestational diabetes three times. I am gutted feeling really bewildered and really don't know where to start!
I definitely need to loose weight and change my diet. Any tips woukd be greatly apriciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Liam1955

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Vickio
Welcome. I'll tag @daisy1 for a bit of basic info that should help.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello indeed, welcome to forums!

There's a lot to take in isn't there, but it's not the end of the world and there's no reason to let it all get on top of you,

Just start thinking about carbohydrates instead of just 'sugar'. Look at what you're eating and keep track of the carb content, cut down where you can.

Some T2's will come along and help you out. Some have acheived amazing results with diet alone.

Reactions: Liam1955

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Vickio and welcome.
A few questions first if I may? How did you control your gestational Diabetes? Just diet or diet and meds? Do you know your HbA1c result? These things will help us help you.
Now I’ll tell you my story. I was diagnosed type 2 just over a year ago with a pretty high HbA1c of 70. I was shocked but arrived here that evening and received heaps of advice. I had been put on Metformin and that was it! From advice here I started low carb eating and self monitoring, after four months my HbA1c reduced to non diabetic levels and has stayed there since. I’ve lost nearly 6 stone to boot and feel so well.
So you’ve come to the right place. Any questions ask away :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Vickio

Hello Vickio and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Vickio

Hi Vickio and welcome.
A few questions first if I may? How did you control your gestational Diabetes? Just diet or diet and meds? Do you know your HbA1c result? These things will help us help you.
Now I’ll tell you my story. I was diagnosed type 2 just over a year ago with a pretty high HbA1c of 70. I was shocked but arrived here that evening and received heaps of advice. I had been put on Metformin and that was it! From advice here I started low carb eating and self monitoring, after four months my HbA1c reduced to non diabetic levels and has stayed there since. I’ve lost nearly 6 stone to boot and feel so well.
So you’ve come to the right place. Any questions ask away :)
THank you, when I was pregnant the first couple of times I was controlled with diet only, with my third child I was on insulin and metformin. I don't know what my HbA1 result is yet as I can't see the nurse until the middle of June. i probably have around 6 stone to loose. you must feel so much better.

How many carbs are too many? DO I concentrate on loosing weight or cutting down on carbs or will one help the other? it has been a while since I was last pregnant so I'm slightly confused. Do I get a bg monitor from my gp or do I order one for myself? Does it depend on how high your bg is as to whether or not medication is advised? Sorry for bombarding you it just so mind boggling!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First I suggest you ask your surgery for a print out of your HbA1c result, or request on line access to it. Do this before your appointment with the nurse so you already know what level you’re at and therefore have an idea if you’ll be able to tackle this with diet alone or accept any meds if offered.
I initially cut carbs to 100g/day then after six weeks I dropped to 50 - 70g/day, these days I usually range between 40 - 60g/day. I lost my first five stone without even thinking about calories, my weight loss has slowed down now and I’m being a bit more careful about portion sizes but still not calorie counting. I do indeed feel much better, I didn’t realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better. My Diabetes was diagnosed out of the blue on routine blood tests for another condition!
As regards to a blood sugar meter, I doubt you’ll get prescribed one, few Type 2s do, but Ikd recommend you get one. Knowing what different foods do to your blood sugars is a key tool to have. If you decide to buy one we can help you choose which one.
Don’t worry about asking questions, we are happy to help.

Vickio

First I suggest you ask your surgery for a print out of your HbA1c result, or request on line access to it. Do this before your appointment with the nurse so you already know what level you’re at and therefore have an idea if you’ll be able to tackle this with diet alone or accept any meds if offered.
I initially cut carbs to 100g/day then after six weeks I dropped to 50 - 70g/day, these days I usually range between 40 - 60g/day. I lost my first five stone without even thinking about calories, my weight loss has slowed down now and I’m being a bit more careful about portion sizes but still not calorie counting. I do indeed feel much better, I didn’t realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better. My Diabetes was diagnosed out of the blue on routine blood tests for another condition!
As regards to a blood sugar meter, I doubt you’ll get prescribed one, few Type 2s do, but Ikd recommend you get one. Knowing what different foods do to your blood sugars is a key tool to have. If you decide to buy one we can help you choose which one.
Don’t worry about asking questions, we are happy to help.
Hi, so my HBA1c is 59. I don't know if thats in a range for medication or just diet control? Any ideas please? Also can you recommend a blood sugar meter to purchase?

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Vickio welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for help, advice and support. I would suggest a Blood Glucose meter so that you can keep an eye on your levels. If you cant get one from your Dr's they are available on e-bay. I have the Codefree one and the test strips are a fair price. I have a lot of weight to loose as well so started the Low Car High Fat (LCHF) way of eating. This seems to be a favourite with type 2's. There is a separate thread within the forum with plenty of information. I do 18/6 fasting, between 20.00 and 14.00 next day, with only black tea, coffee, water and vitamin water as needed. Also on less than 15 - 20 carbs per day. The beauty of this way of eating is it can work around your needs. Any questions just ask, we are here to help. Good luck :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, so my HBA1c is 59. I don't know if thats in a range for medication or just diet control? Any ideas please? Also can you recommend a blood sugar meter to purchase?

I would have thought you have a case for trying diet alone if that’s what you’d like to do. Put it to your nurse and see what she says, even if she disagrees she can’t force you to take the tablets anyway. My HbA1c was higher than yours at 70 and there was a suggestion that I’d had a borderline test a year or so previously which I wasn’t told about, so I wanted to get my levels down as quickly as possible because they may have been high for longer than first appeared.

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833p

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I agree with the other poster above that 59 is not too bad. It goes something like this:
<42 non diabetic
42-47 pre diabetic
>48 diabetic
>55 increased risk of complications (if high for a long time)

I have seen people on the forum have a level in the 80s, 90s, and even over 100. I'm at about the highest I've ever been, at 74, and I feel miserable. Yet, some can be over 100 and have no noticeable (to them) symptoms.

Because mine has been too high for too long, one of my doctors suggested insulin, I agreed, and am now on it. But there are people who get their level down from 100 to the 40s by low carbing. I take my hat off to them! I did it initially and went from the mid 50s to the mid 30s. If I'd kept to eating the right things I would still be in the 30s. I also lost about 6 stone without really trying.

So there is a lot of reason for you to be optimistic, in my opinion.

I think it's a shame that women with gestational diabetes don't always seem to be told they are at increased risk of T2 later in life. I feel if this info was shared more, women would have a better chance of preventing it.

But you are on the right track now. I'm glad you found the forum, it will help a lot!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hello and welcome and I wish you well......

Tony

Vickio

Hi @Vickio welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for help, advice and support. I would suggest a Blood Glucose meter so that you can keep an eye on your levels. If you cant get one from your Dr's they are available on e-bay. I have the Codefree one and the test strips are a fair price. I have a lot of weight to loose as well so started the Low Car High Fat (LCHF) way of eating. This seems to be a favourite with type 2's. There is a separate thread within the forum with plenty of information. I do 18/6 fasting, between 20.00 and 14.00 next day, with only black tea, coffee, water and vitamin water as needed. Also on less than 15 - 20 carbs per day. The beauty of this way of eating is it can work around your needs. Any questions just ask, we are here to help. Good luck :)[/QUOTE
Thanks so much

Vickio

I agree with the other poster above that 59 is not too bad. It goes something like this:
<42 non diabetic
42-47 pre diabetic
>48 diabetic
>55 increased risk of complications (if high for a long time)

I have seen people on the forum have a level in the 80s, 90s, and even over 100. I'm at about the highest I've ever been, at 74, and I feel miserable. Yet, some can be over 100 and have no noticeable (to them) symptoms.

Because mine has been too high for too long, one of my doctors suggested insulin, I agreed, and am now on it. But there are people who get their level down from 100 to the 40s by low carbing. I take my hat off to them! I did it initially and went from the mid 50s to the mid 30s. If I'd kept to eating the right things I would still be in the 30s. I also lost about 6 stone without really trying.

So there is a lot of reason for you to be optimistic, in my opinion.

I think it's a shame that women with gestational diabetes don't always seem to be told they are at increased risk of T2 later in life. I feel if this info was shared more, women would have a better chance of preventing it.

But you are on the right track now. I'm glad you found the forum, it will help a lot!
Thank you for all the info, I will post back when I have seen the nurse. I appreciate all the advice

Reactions: Jenny15

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Vickio

I was diagnosed after a routine "well woman" test with an HBA1C of 97, but didn't have any symptoms. I had had Gestational Diabetes several years previously

I refused to take Metformin and agreed with my GP that I would try to reduce it through lifestyle changes. I upped my exercise and switched to a low carb diet. Within a few months my HBA1C had halved and a year after diagnosis it was 37. That was over a year ago and I've managed to maintain my HBA1C at around 40 ever since.

I still don't take any medication for my diabetes, and I don't intend to. Have a chat with your Diabetic Nurse or GP. Mine was very supportive of me wanting to do it myself.