Going away

Jade-1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to London for a few days in June and going to a live show at Wembley stadium whilst I’m up there, it’s the first time I’ve gone anywhere since being diagnosed at the beginning of the year and I’m just wondering how to deal with the change in routine ie more walking, being out all day etc. I seem to be ok on days where I’m at work but even at home on my days off and with the heat I find myself going low more often. I think I’m just starting to struggle a bit with it all and how unpredictable it seems to be.
I don’t know if anyone’s been to a concert before either and what it’s like getting in with your diabetes supplies and hypo treatments? I’ve just started to think about it all as it’s getting closer and I’m not as relaxed as I have been.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I am going to London for a few days in June and going to a live show at Wembley stadium whilst I’m up there, it’s the first time I’ve gone anywhere since being diagnosed at the beginning of the year and I’m just wondering how to deal with the change in routine ie more walking, being out all day etc. I seem to be ok on days where I’m at work but even at home on my days off and with the heat I find myself going low more often. I think I’m just starting to struggle a bit with it all and how unpredictable it seems to be.
I don’t know if anyone’s been to a concert before either and what it’s like getting in with your diabetes supplies and hypo treatments? I’ve just started to think about it all as it’s getting closer and I’m not as relaxed as I have been.

Hi @Jade-1990 , when I've been to concerts locally there were bag searches, I just whispered to the searcher that I was carrying diabetes meds and they were really sweet, and said to let them know if I needed anything at any time. I think the worry can overwhelm us; it would be a shame to let it spoil your trip. Test often, always carry glucose (good excuse for a new handbag) I hope you have a great time. :)

Reactions: karen8967

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jade-1990 ,

I've not only been to gigs at arenas. I've also been on the "other side" of the stage monitors..
Mention "diabetic" & security will hold their hands up & give you a break... (They will be briefed.)
They are mostly looking for unlicensed alcohol brought in, or illegal drugs.. ;)

Testing, testing. (Basically it;s easy to lose track of time. keep an eye on the blood sugars.)

Just have fun. & let us know how you got on..? :cool:

Jade-1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I’ve not really thought about it but then one little thought seems to stick and then I panic slightly . I am going with my sister and auntie who I know will keep on at me even if I forget, making sure I’ve got snacks and keep checking. It’s just a different experience to every other time I’ve gone away even if it’s just a few days, we only went in November and I had nothing to think about other than what clothes to take haha.
I’m sure it’ll all be fine and I’m worrying about nothing.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hiya, you will be fine! I've never had a problem with my diabetes stuff, in clubs, bars, concerts etc. Just keep a check on your levels and it's good you've got family there to support you. Most importantly, enjoy the concert!!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I hope you have a fab time @Jade-1990 , I'm sure you'll be fine and its lovely that your family will be with you. You should be really proud of yourselves x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey the only thing that I sometimes do is forget to test as i’m having such a good time listening to the band, it sounds like you have it all planned so have a great time :)

D

Deleted Account

One little thing to bear in mind: some venues don't let you take any liquids in.
Therefore, you cannot take Lucozade to treat hypos.
So, might be a good idea to make sure you have some solid hypo treatments like Dextrose, GlucoTabs or Jelly Babies.

I once tried to take a bottle of coke. It was taken off me and I was told if I had a hypo I would have to queue at the bar for a replacement!