What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@DJC3 thinking of you you are doing so well it’s so complex isn’t it with families. Clearly unless you are filling up your plate with carbs you’re not eating enough despite the calorie dense nature of fats! Just keep doing what you’re doing and ride with it. My family have issues with my WOE but can’t argue with bg results - having said this only my OH knows about my high cholesterol as he’s supportive but don’t think it would help others in my family who are struggling with the way I eat. You’ll no doubt be back home soon and back in charge....
Worked today as feeling steadily better and bgs behaving well
Breakfast coffee and cream
Lunch mushroom omlette and followed by slice choc olive oil cake
Dinner waitrose salted beef with mushrooms and braised celery planning oppo ice cream later after glass of red wine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the moment my meter showed an FBG of 5.8 it was certain common sense and civility would not be involved all day. I went through the motions of doing the right things and eating the right foods but basically a mood like thunder all day :( Menu below and let's hope tomorrow starts better because I will have exhausted my self control by the end of today

B: 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk
MMS: 2 x Pints tea with almond milk
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and raspberry bar ( definite winner to me); mug filter coffee with 30 mls double cream (5.4 at 2 hrs but everything high today)
MAS: 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk
D 2 Waitrose 1 Sausages; 3 rashers Waitrose unsmoked streaky bacon; 3 large eggs (own); 2 tomatoes; 4 mushrooms; Water

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @ianpspurs I can see you weren’t joking when you mentioned your Good Life ambitions! Home made chocolatty things sound great. @shelley262 glad you are on the mend.

OMAD again today but just as well there was torrential rain around lunch time as I was definitely wavering. The young member of my team who borrowed my umbrella to go out to the shops wasn’t impressed by my suggestion that he could always skip lunch if he wanted to avoid getting wet!

Although only one meal, did need a small snack on the way to dinner - was meeting a friend so wasn’t sure of exact timing. Bought a 25g pack of almonds to eat on the way. Dinner was at Nando’s. I had a reward owing of a whole chicken so we ordered one of those. I ate the leg and the wing part of the breast plus a side salad.

Have just topped up with a lazy mousse of clotted cream, almond butter and 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% drops as I want to keep OMAD going and food intake was a bit light.

Reactions: DJC3
P

pollensa

Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Hello

Breakfast
half grapefruit, scrambled eggs, garlic, coriander
Mint tea, seed crackers

lunch
tuna salad tomato onion, feta cheese seed cracker

dinner
Lasagne made with zuchinni, fresh tomato sauce garlic, grated cheddar cheese on top. Large green leaf salad, lots black pepper olive oil and cidar vinegar

winked at pineapple, mango, pear, in the fruit bowl, was a good girl! opted for a mint tea, its called "will power" I think?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.2 - getting better!
B. 1/2 Mattesons smoked sausage with 2 scrambled eggs and a Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Very late sandwich with Tesco high protein bread , ham and coleslaw.
D. Spiced ribs, coleslaw and a new find in Tesco Edamame and Cauliflower crush - 6.6g carbs in 1/2 a pack and it is delicious! I could eat the lot with a spoon!
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299911030
Doesn't look the tastiest but I love it.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, hope you've all enjoyed your Bank Holiday.

Having some weird blood sugars today. Started off at 5.7 which was fine but after lunch went up to 6.8 despite only having 6g carbs. Don't know if it's just the heat today or dehydration or what, but that was a shock.

L: Low carb bagel with turkey, Leerdammer and bacon
D: 4 chipolata sausages, 2 eggs
Snacks: 2 squares 90% Lindt, Adonis blonde
Cadbury's Highlight mocha
Hi perhaps there was something in the Devon air, my blood glucose readings were a little bit higher than normal yesterday, and again this morning, however I also had readings that were more like my normal ones so not sure what the cause was/is :banghead:

P

pollensa

Breakfast: Home made greek style yoghurt with a few raspberries
Lunch: Tuna mayo salad
Dinner: Planning to have pork chops with green beans, cauliflower and roasted celeriac
Snacks: Couple of squares of Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa Chocoloate
Well done.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,
B - 2 slices buttered livlife toast and coffee
Mid morning snack - 3 salami crisps with cream cheese
L - salad with roast beef and mayo
After work as I knew we would be eating late I had some pork scratchings with a coffee made with cream
D - scallops wrapped in bacon, buttered kale, sftrawberries and cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 1/2 lge tin of Tesco beef stew and left over mixed veg followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: lemon chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: tuna melts with celeriac mash, peas and sweet corn followed by a Breyers high protein ice-cream bar, first try and really recommend them :hungry:

Edited to correct autocorrect of Breyers to Brewers!

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @shelley262 thanks for your supportive comments.
Your choc raspberry bars sound wonderful ianp

Breakfast today smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado.

Lunch: slow cooked beef brisket, cauli mash and cabbage

Mid aft celery stick and guacamole while grandchildren had tea - I’d forgotten what a dangerous time of day this is for absent minded picking.

Dinner, should have been just salad but we’d bought chicken breasts so decided to cook them and have them cold tomorrow but it was nearly 9pm and we were hungry by the time they were done so ate them anyway.
Far too much protein today and almost no exercise for about 3 days so bg is starting to creep up.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, happy Tuesday.

Feeling a bit down today as my morning blood sugars always seem to be high (upwards of 7). Always puts me on a downer to start the day. Not to mention every time I step on the scales, nothing changes..... Feeling a bit demotivated by everything. Considering trying out the Newcastle diet soon to see if that helps.

L: Low carb bagel with turkey, Leerdammer, and bacon
Snacks: Quest bar, Cadbury's Highlights mocha

Only one meal today as wanted to experiment with whether going to bed with a low sugar reading (currently 5.3) lowers my morning sugars.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, happy Tuesday.

Feeling a bit down today as my morning blood sugars always seem to be high (upwards of 7). Always puts me on a downer to start the day. Not to mention every time I step on the scales, nothing changes..... Feeling a bit demotivated by everything. Considering trying out the Newcastle diet soon to see if that helps.

Only one meal today as wanted to experiment with whether going to bed with a low sugar reading (currently 5.3) lowers my morning sugars.

I completely understand about the morning reading setting the mood for the day - it does for me too, and probably for most of us.

Good luck with the one meal a day, I hope you see an improvement in the morning enough to motivate you again. You usually seem so positive.
Sending hugs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, happy Tuesday.

Hi @vanillapie hope this mornings bg is closer to what you want but do remember it’s always the last one to come down. It took many of us months to see this one drop and even now it can do really odd things. Most important thing is to work out a method that suits you and keep going. Good sleep and lowering stress levels I find are equally important. I’ve just had a week or two with high levels due to stress and infection for example.
One meal a day - that you’re trying I think - is a good method but you do need to keep it going for a period for an impact I found. I did a month of OMAD in beginning. However now small meals suit me and my bg! I personally would not be able to do the Newcastle diet I love real food!

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 @DJC3 Thanks both for your kind words. Morning reading of 7.7 this morning so can only assume dawn phenomenon is playing silly beggars. Maybe I am just expecting too much too soon. I'm getting a little sick of only really being able to eat mainly meat and cheese and I just had a bit of a down day feeling like 'what's the point'. I'm sure I'll pick myself back up!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 @DJC3 Thanks both for your kind words. Morning reading of 7.7 this morning so can only assume dawn phenomenon is playing silly beggars. Maybe I am just expecting too much too soon. I'm getting a little sick of only really being able to eat mainly meat and cheese and I just had a bit of a down day feeling like 'what's the point'. I'm sure I'll pick myself back up!
Hi @vanillapie feel for you. Hope you have a good day today stick with it - you will get there.

laynche

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)[/QUOTE]

Cappachino and 2 pieces of seeded toast and margarine..... and
tested bloods 6.0 before meal and 2 hours later 10.6... just swapped to Victoza pen 1 week ago and have upped the dose from 0.6 to 1.2mg...
I am experimenting with foods but finding it difficult to eat small and often... but when I have a good meal I fall asleep and wake up with nausea... any advice or anyone else experiencing similar symptoms?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cappachino and 2 pieces of seeded toast and margarine..... and
tested bloods 6.0 before meal and 2 hours later 10.6... just swapped to Victoza pen 1 week ago and have upped the dose from 0.6 to 1.2mg...
I am experimenting with foods but finding it difficult to eat small and often... but when I have a good meal I fall asleep and wake up with nausea... any advice or anyone else experiencing similar symptoms?

Actually, if I had two slices of seeded toast I would probably have a similar hike in blood glucose and fall asleep afterwards - it is why I stopped eating toast. :)

I just cut my carbs down gently and carefully, while testing carefully, until my blood glucose stayed in range. The toast had to go. Also the potatoes, rice, pasta and fruit. But it made me feel so much better that I was glad to give them up. :D

laynche

Actually, if I had two slices of seeded toast I would probably have a similar hike in blood glucose and fall asleep afterwards - it is why I stopped eating toast. :)

I just cut my carbs down gently and carefully, while testing carefully, until my blood glucose stayed in range. The toast had to go. Also the potatoes, rice, pasta and fruit. But it made me feel so much better that I was glad to give them up. :D

Thanks for the advice what do you use as a substitute for these food groups please?