What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L: Low carb bagel with bacon, brie and spinach.
D: Garlic and herb chicken breast, garlic butter green beans
Snacks: Edam cheese mini, 2 squares Lindt 90%, Adonis blondie
Two mugs of black coffee sweetened with Natvia.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L: Low carb bagel with bacon, brie and spinach.
D: Garlic and herb chicken breast, garlic butter green beans
Snacks: Edam cheese mini, 2 squares Lindt 90%, Adonis blondie
Two mugs of black coffee sweetened with Natvia.
All good and well done for sticking in there. Some times you just have to "tough it out" until things get better.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All good and well done for sticking in there. Some times you just have to "tough it out" until things get better.

Thanks Ian. :) Think I was just having a wobble - it's only been a month, everything's still relatively new so I'm still adapting to change.

I figured even at 7.7 in the morning, that level is better than it was when I was ignorant of my prediabetes, so it can only get better.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian. :) Think I was just having a wobble - it's only been a month, everything's still relatively new so I'm still adapting to change.

I figured even at 7.7 in the morning, that level is better than it was when I was ignorant of my prediabetes, so it can only get better.
You really are at an early point but you will get there. It may take a few months at least to get fbg at similar level because of dawn phenomenon - well it does for many people.

Reactions: maglil55

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You really are at an early point but you will get there. It may take a few months at least to get DP at similar level - well it does for many people.

Thanks Shelley - I will keep at it. Fingers crossed in a few months I'll be posting different numbers.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, the trouble with testing and all the data that fitbit etc give us is that we now know all sorts of things we were blissfully ignorant of before. How we deal with all this data is the big issue. Each day is slightly different and we need to think on our feet so it will always be a challenge but that can be quite interesting as well as frustrating :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi fellow forum friends
B - ham and feta cheese coffee
L - roast beef salad with mayo and 10g of cheese crackers
Afternoon snack of salami crisps and cream cheese
D - eggs, bacon and mushrooms

Attachments

• B01DDF34-DC0C-4C48-91AF-C467667E4B92.jpeg
    B01DDF34-DC0C-4C48-91AF-C467667E4B92.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 183
  • A8049364-334A-47FD-A080-29D507722054.jpeg
    A8049364-334A-47FD-A080-29D507722054.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 230
  • B02A34A4-5746-46CE-B929-9AA1CA82BC05.jpeg
    B02A34A4-5746-46CE-B929-9AA1CA82BC05.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 184

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over tuna melt cold with salad of cherry tomatoes, cucumber, radish, red onion and celery followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: orange chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: kedgeree made with cauliflower rice followed by strawberries and chocolate hazelnut Oppo

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening,
Glad everyone here seems to be getting over the blues and lurgys.

B: 2 egg omelette with spinach and feta

Went round no 1 daughter’s late morning, told her I’d only just eaten so didn’t want lunch. She was planning a ‘healthy’ couscous and roast veg lunch so it was better to say I wasn’t hungry and miss it.

D: roast chicken. She asked what veg I could have - I said above ground veg, so of course she did peas and sweetcorn. She was so apologetic when I tried to gently say I couldn’t eat them ( my bg is going up rapidly these last couple of days through lack of exercise so really didn’t want to chance it) so we both spent the next hour apologising to eachother - very British. She did extra greens for me bless her but didn’t have butter for them ( just low fat marge)
This is such a minefield!!!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening,

Went round no 1 daughter’s late morning, told her I’d only just eaten so didn’t want lunch. She was planning a ‘healthy’ couscous and roast veg lunch so it was better to say I wasn’t hungry and miss it.

D: roast chicken. She asked what veg I could have - I said above ground veg, so of course she did peas and sweetcorn. She was so apologetic when I tried to gently say I couldn’t eat them ( my bg is going up rapidly these last couple of days through lack of exercise so really didn’t want to chance it) so we both spent the next hour apologising to eachother - very British. She did extra greens for me bless her but didn’t have butter for them ( just low fat marge)
Hang in there, I’m sure the slight wobble off track can be rectified and it’s worth risking some slight and temporary damage, time with your girls is precious so enjoy it and don’t worry. :happy:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening,

It might be harder with offspring (don’t have any so no experience) but when I visit my Dad I offer to do the cooking and either get him and his wife to take me to the supermarket or do an online food order. He is older and appreciates the rest from cooking though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be harder with offspring (don’t have any so no experience) but when I visit my Dad I offer to do the cooking and either get him and his wife to take me to the supermarket or do an online food order. He is older and appreciates the rest from cooking though.

Thanks @Goonergal I can see the sense in that and I think I’ll have to come up with some sort of plan as I’m here for nearly another week.
The waters are muddied by the fact she is on Slimming world as is her MIL ( her inlaws live with them so they take it in turns to cook) and her hubby has IBS so finding something for everyone is proving v difficult.
I’m convinced lchf would be beneficial for all of them but the Healthy Plateful is deeply ingrained and I know I’ve irritated them by evangelising about lchf already.
Stressing about it is probably making it worse, today I resolve to chill a bit more.

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal I can see the sense in that and I think I’ll have to come up with some sort of plan as I’m here for nearly another week.
The waters are muddied by the fact she is on Slimming world as is her MIL ( her inlaws live with them so they take it in turns to cook) and her hubby has IBS so finding something for everyone is proving v difficult.
I’m convinced lchf would be beneficial for all of them but the Healthy Plateful is deeply ingrained and I know I’ve irritated them by evangelising about lchf already.
Stressing about it is probably making it worse, today I resolve to chill a bit more.
Cor that’s a long stay I’d need my mindfulness Headspace app for sure! Sounds very complex - hope you manage to navigate your way through it’s so difficult with all the official advice backing them up re high carb low fat makes it much harder. Keep smiling!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cor that’s a long stay I’d need my mindfulness Headspace app for sure! Sounds very complex - hope you manage to navigate your way through it’s so difficult with all the official advice backing them up re high carb low fat makes it much harder. Keep smiling!

Thanks Shelley
To be honest, without this forum I wouldn’t have coped I don’t think. You guys ( especially on this thread) have kept me sane and focussed.
Thank you all xx

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still not sure what is the best route to deal with non conforming readings. Just sticking to what has previously worked and hoping things come right. Food list below:

B: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk
MMS: Nothing as very late today
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and raspberry bar; mug filter coffee with 30 mls double cream
MAS: 2 pints tea with homemade almond milk
D Egg and cheese and avocado salad; pea shoots; Chia seeds and psyllium husk powder; May have strawberries and cream later

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Had a big shock today went to do a pre lunch reading expecting low 4s as had been 4.8 fbg and it read 12! Proceeded to re wash hands and test again but meter decided it had different errors including electronic probs - phew! Never had a number anything like that th@nk heavens it was the meter. Now using my back up meter and back to normal again.
Breakfast boiled egg and one slice of low carb bread
Lunch cheese and a few walnuts
Dinner quarter of a fat head pizza and green salad followed by slice of low carb lemon cake (best ever - cooked today one loaf now in freezer) and dollop of extra thick cream - stuffed!
Deaf ear being hopefully sorted tomorrow first thing with syringing appt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still not sure what is the best route to deal with non conforming readings. Just sticking to what has previously worked and hoping things come right. Food list below:

B: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk
MMS: Nothing as very late today
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and raspberry bar; mug filter coffee with 30 mls double cream
MAS: 2 pints tea with homemade almond milk
D Egg and cheese and avocado salad; pea shoots; Chia seeds and psyllium husk powder; May have strawberries and cream later
Think that’s all you can do Ian it will come right you just need to work on not getting too stressed about it as that makes it worse - well it does for me

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Have just been checking in quickly this week, so replying to you all now. Might be a long one, so will report on meals first to stay on topic!

Another day of OMAD. Almost wasn’t as I’d decided to eat something around lunchtime and just as I was about to run out and get something, realised the meeting I thought was half an hour away was due to start, so lunch was abandoned.

Dinner was pan fried sea bass fillet with a side of cauliflower cheese followed by lazy dessert of clotted cream, almond butter and Hotel Chocolat 100% drops.

@DJC3 sounds a tricky situation. Hope you find a solution.

@shelley262 hope your appointment goes well. Seeing a 12 must have been a shock!

@ianpspurs think you have the right tactic. Keep doing what you know works and things will turn around.

@maglil55 yes please, more MIL sayings!

@vanillapie its definitely worth persevering. It can be really hard not to get frustrated/want instant success. The fasting level is the last one to come down and managing post meal levels is more important. You seem to be making great progress in a month and I thought I’d share some of my own story in case it helps. Although I’ve lost a ton of weight and BG control is now great, initially progress was really slow. I didn’t even have a meter for a couple of months and weight loss was really slow despite very low carb levels. I just took my time, read around and tried things as I felt ready. The breakthrough for me was intermittent fasting - when I first read about it, I thought it was crazy and that I’d never do it. This time last year I was just skipping breakfast every now and then. But while on holiday over the summer fell into a pattern of eating one meal a day quite regularly and weight/BG started to fall dramatically. Looking back I’m glad to have done it that way - as I introduced things slowly, I’m confident that I understand which things have achieved what, which helps when needing to make adjustments. Keep the faith and you’ll get there!

Reactions: maglil55