Fasting BG

lanzlady

Is it better to have a snack before going to bed to have lower numbers when you wake up in morning I don't usually eat anything after 7pm?

Lanzlady

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you test in the morning and your Bg level is in the 5's/6's then it probably doesn't matter.

If you suffer from the 'Dawn Phenomenon ' and have a higher Bg in the morning then a snack at bedtime may help to lower this in the morning, it is only by testing first thing immediately on getting up that you will know.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My AM fasting BG is always higher than at any other time except within 2 hours after a meal, and sometimes higher even than those.

I'm concerned about this 'upsetting' my doctor when I have my next fasting bg test at the surgery.

I suppose it would be silly to have a bedtime snack the night before? Normally I don't eat from about 20:00.

Then again, if I had a couple of buttered oatcakes at 23:00 and gave the blood sample at 09:00 the following morning, I would still have fasted for 10 hours! Would this be long enough for a fasting cholesterol test?

I might give it a try and report back - but any advice gratefully appreciated!

Viv :)

zhaith

i would say thats fine my doctor is ok with food as long as it isnt past midnight so a couple of oatcakes should be fine :) they're really nice with a piece of cambazola (kinda like a mild stilton but soft abd creamy yumm) seems to keep my levels within 0.5 of the bedtime reading

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks, Zhaith, will try that. I know Cambazola.

Have you tried Mrs Bell's Yorkshire Blue? if you can get it where you live? One of our small local cheese producers - also yummy!

lanzlady

sugarless sue said:
If you test in the morning and your Bg level is in the 5's/6's then it probably doesn't matter.

If you suffer from the 'Dawn Phenomenon ' and have a higher Bg in the morning then a snack at bedtime may help to lower this in the morning, it is only by testing first thing immediately on getting up that you will know.

Good morning,

well last night I had some almonds as a snack before 10pm but still woke up this morning at 7.3 is it true your fasting blood sugar level should be the lowest reading of the day for Type 2's?

Lanzlady

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I too would like an answer to that one! My lowest reading of the day is usually mid-afternoon, 2 hours after lunch, and is usually in the mid-5s. If they're basing my Type 2 diagnosis on my morning fasting readings . . .

Do non-diabetics get the Dawn Phenomenon, as well as us?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lanzlady said:
sugarless sue said:

Good morning,

well last night I had some almonds as a snack before 10pm but still woke up this morning at 7.3 is it true your fasting blood sugar level should be the lowest reading of the day for Type 2's?

Lanzlady

You may like to try something with a little more carbs in as nuts don't contain much.
I find if I have a biscuit or something that usually puts my levels up about 1 then I am lower in the mornings. (Even lower if I combine the 'treat' with 15mins on the exercise bike about 8.30pm or so!!)
HTH
Angie