Newby

Beetie

Hi everybody.
First time posting, diagnosed T2 at 3pm today. I will quickly get to grips with everything I need to but an important question is with regard to fruit - does anybody eat fruit on this forum?

Reactions: Kevin259

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody.
First time posting, diagnosed T2 at 3pm today. I will quickly get to grips with everything I need to but an important question is with regard to fruit - does anybody eat fruit on this forum?
I don't. For me it increases blood glucose far too much.

paulloseby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two satsumas after lunch each day and 100ml glass of Tropicana with extra juicy bits before breakfast. My readings are still going in the right direction so they are not too bad for me. I did have 1/4 pineapple in my first week after diagnosis and that sent my reading up to 11.9 so sadly, no pineapple for me.

Reactions: Kevin259
P

pollensa

Hi everybody.

Hello First timer, sorry to hear your news, with change of lifestyle diet and other, it can be controlled.

Regards fruit, personally by choice, I do not eat as it is fructose. I look at fruit as a treat, a birthday or evening out in a restaurant, where the least sugar on the dessert may be strawberries for example. Its entirely up to the individual, and also if fruit spikes your levels to higher zone after eating, some people are more tolerant than others.

Being from Australia where tropical fruits are eaten in abundance daily, I was naive to the fact I was eating a cocktail of sugars daily in a blender as smoothie, even the first time I had an on spot finger test, not because I had symptoms, simply pushed into the chemist by a girlfriend as I had not had a blood test for 40 years! what did I have three days previous and morning of spur of moment testing, yes, banana, paw paw mango, kiwi, in the blender for breaking, so my RANDOM to be below 200mg/dl my test was 189mg/dl normal as below 200mg/dl BUT, high normal, take caution! which I did.

Now on keto low carb, no fruit, potatoes, pasta rice bread, exercise daily, intermittant fast 3 days a week, result, reversed the normal high to normal non diabetic range, also my A1C normal, and officially on medical records spain non diabtic range.

This works for myself, again, I am not a doctor, and express own experience, and its entirely up to each individuals own situation and levels to base from, or aim for re control, however, you may get some tips from this, look on www.dietdoctor.com some great low carb eating and tells you all about FRUITS and how many carbs this will be of good help to answer your question too.

Hope this assists in someway.

Reactions: dbr10

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries.

Grapes and bananas are the worst.

I would leave fruit alone until you have a handle on your diet. Welcome by the way!

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for speedy response. From where do you get your vitamins etc if not from fruit? Do you take supplements instead? Any advise greatly received.
I just eat meat and leafy green vegetables, salads with EVOO, nuts, bacon, eggs and Greek yoghurt. My weight is stable and I seem to be okay. I take a B12 supplement because Metformin can cause B12 depletion, and Q10 because statins can affect the muscles.

P

pollensa

Only blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries.

Grapes and bananas are the worst.

I would leave fruit alone until you have a handle on your diet. Welcome by the way!

Absolutely, these are the fruits to aim for if one indulges now and again.

P

pollensa

Thank you for speedy response. From where do you get your vitamins etc if not from fruit? Do you take supplements instead? Any advise greatly received.

Hello again, I take a multi vitamin every other day and take omega 3 pill daily. I eat only Himalayan Salt in order, to get minerals, especially Magnesium, and of course, there is vitamins in lots of foods, even eating veggies that are not root and grown above ground, eat lots of asparagus for example. If I do indulge in a fruit its normally only strawberry in a yogurt, raspberry, blackberry, its only on rare occasions.

Since change of diet and lifestyle, feel the fittest and healthiest I have ever been, lost 24 kilos in 11 months and 23cm off waist, so the low carb diet is working for me, and my body does not seem to miss the actual vitamins in fruit, again, its entirely up to you, good luck.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diet is quite restricted at the moment so I take diabetone which is a mixture of vitamins and minerals. I also take omega 3. It is just a safety net. Once I can formulate a decent diet then I will probably drop them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
vitamins and minerals are far more bioavailable in green veg and meat rather than fruit. The 5 a day rubbish is exactly that and it would appear that low carbing means your body doesn't need the same things a a carb burner does. The people eating a carnivorous diet (only animal products) don't get scurvy so nor should you by cutting out fructose (possibly the worst kind of sugar for Type 2's)

Reactions: dbr10 and xfieldok

Beetie

Thank you all for taking time out to post - extremely helpful.
I realise I should have mentioned a few issues:-
I cannot allow my body to go into ketosis (I have a liver issue - autoimmune).
I have x3mthly B12 injections.
Since 3pm ive been wondering around different sites getting an angle on low car eating. I don't eat red meat but enjoy most other foodstuff.

Thanks again

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat berries a few times a week - in small amounts after a meal and with cream.
Blueberries are far higher in carbs than other fruits called berries, so I avoid them - they are over my 10 percent limit anyway.
With fresh vegetables available all year round there is no real need to have fruit, but it is a nice cooling dessert (I keep the berries frozen so I get a sort of icecream) in summer, and in winter I make real custard with eggs and cream and after warming the fruit I pour on the custard just before starting dinner.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Thank you all for taking time out to post - extremely helpful.
I realise I should have mentioned a few issues:-
I cannot allow my body to go into ketosis (I have a liver issue - autoimmune).
I have x3mthly B12 injections.
Since 3pm ive been wondering around different sites getting an angle on low car eating. I don't eat red meat but enjoy most other foodstuff.

Thanks again

Can you say what the liver condition is

Hotpepper20000

There is nothing in fruit that I can’t get from a low carb vegetable.
And they don’t rise my BG

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a liver issue
Hi Beetie,
the reason most of us avoid fruits is the extra work it puts on the liver. It's even worse than glucose.

It might be a wise idea to cut back drastically on the fruit. :nurse:
:bag:

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Yes, welcome to the forum @Beetie . The bottom line for most of us is if you test 2 hours after eating (say a banana), and your blood sugar is greater than 2 mmols higher than it was before eating, then that particular is not suitable for you. You can decide to cut it out completely or eat a smaller portion which won't spike you as high.