What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think that’s all you can do Ian it will come right you just need to work on not getting too stressed about it as that makes it worse - well it does for me
Thanks Shelley and I know that stress will impact bg BUT I am hardwired to think/work until I achieve any goal I set myself or am told is important to achieve. It can be a curse as well as a blessing.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: left over mixed veg and celeriac mash with half tin of Tesco beef stew followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10 cal jelly with black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower, broccoli and radish salad followed by strawberries with chocolate and hazelnut Oppo.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone,
Ham, salami crisps and cream cheese for breakfast
Peppery leaf salad pot with ham for lunch
Afternoon snack was an Adonis bar
This evening I made bunless burgers, pork and herb sausage patties, gerkins, crispy bacon, crispy onion and cheese, very tasty. Followed with jelly and cream.

Reactions: Goonergal

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Have just been checking in quickly this week, so replying to you all now. Might be a long one, so will report on meals first to stay on topic!

Another day of OMAD. Almost wasn’t as I’d decided to eat something around lunchtime and just as I was about to run out and get something, realised the meeting I thought was half an hour away was due to start, so lunch was abandoned.

Dinner was pan fried sea bass fillet with a side of cauliflower cheese followed by lazy dessert of clotted cream, almond butter and Hotel Chocolat 100% drops.

@DJC3 sounds a tricky situation. Hope you find a solution.

@shelley262 hope your appointment goes well. Seeing a 12 must have been a shock!

@ianpspurs think you have the right tactic. Keep doing what you know works and things will turn around.

@maglil55 yes please, more MIL sayings!

@vanillapie its definitely worth persevering. It can be really hard not to get frustrated/want instant success. The fasting level is the last one to come down and managing post meal levels is more important. You seem to be making great progress in a month and I thought I’d share some of my own story in case it helps. Although I’ve lost a ton of weight and BG control is now great, initially progress was really slow. I didn’t even have a meter for a couple of months and weight loss was really slow despite very low carb levels. I just took my time, read around and tried things as I felt ready. The breakthrough for me was intermittent fasting - when I first read about it, I thought it was crazy and that I’d never do it. This time last year I was just skipping breakfast every now and then. But while on holiday over the summer fell into a pattern of eating one meal a day quite regularly and weight/BG started to fall dramatically. Looking back I’m glad to have done it that way - as I introduced things slowly, I’m confident that I understand which things have achieved what, which helps when needing to make adjustments. Keep the faith and you’ll get there!
I agree @Goonergal with your advice to @vanillapie i believe that last October/November when I did one meal a day and with no cream just water and black tea or coffee - I lost bulk of my weight then think about two and a half stone at that time from my three and a half loss over the last nine months - and by the end of that time there was a big shift in my bgs too that I’ve mainly maintained since with less IF and also being able to include cream in my coffee now when I do IF. Glad I did it looking back but you do need the fat on your body to use much harder now my bmi is 20!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree @Goonergal with your advice to @vanillapie i believe that last October/November when I did one meal a day and with no cream just water and black tea or coffee - I lost bulk of my weight then think about two and a half stone at that time from my three and a half loss over the last nine months - and by the end of that time there was a big shift in my bgs too that I’ve mainly maintained since with less IF and also being able to include cream in my coffee now when I do IF. Glad I did it looking back but you do need the fat on your body to use much harder now my bmi is 20!

Totally agree. OMAD is much harder now as is weight loss, but I also consume way more cream and high cocoa chocolate than I did before.

Reactions: vanillapie

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree. OMAD is much harder now as is weight loss, but I also consume way more cream and high cocoa chocolate than I did before.
Yes agree - you don’t have the body fat so need to add it to keep your body going..... I find it easier these days now don’t need to lose anymore to mainly eat three small meals and only miss breakfast when I don’t have time or am really not hungry. I find now this keeps my bgs at the low level they usually are less fluctuations.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@vanillapie its definitely worth persevering. It can be really hard not to get frustrated/want instant success. The fasting level is the last one to come down and managing post meal levels is more important. You seem to be making great progress in a month and I thought I’d share some of my own story in case it helps. Although I’ve lost a ton of weight and BG control is now great, initially progress was really slow. I didn’t even have a meter for a couple of months and weight loss was really slow despite very low carb levels. I just took my time, read around and tried things as I felt ready. The breakthrough for me was intermittent fasting - when I first read about it, I thought it was crazy and that I’d never do it. This time last year I was just skipping breakfast every now and then. But while on holiday over the summer fell into a pattern of eating one meal a day quite regularly and weight/BG started to fall dramatically. Looking back I’m glad to have done it that way - as I introduced things slowly, I’m confident that I understand which things have achieved what, which helps when needing to make adjustments. Keep the faith and you’ll get there!

Thank you both and congrats on your progress, you've both done amazingly well and you're inspiring! I really appreciate your positive responses. I have been trying IF, most days I do 16:8 and not eating until around 2pm, but I've actually found in the last couple of days that my sugars seem to be more regulated if I do eat something in the morning. It's all a learning curve!

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both and congrats on your progress, you've both done amazingly well and you're inspiring! I really appreciate your positive responses. I have been trying IF, most days I do 16:8 and not eating until around 2pm, but I've actually found in the last couple of days that my sugars seem to be more regulated if I do eat something in the morning. It's all a learning curve!
It’s a big learning curve and can be individual too. Looking back I did have DP at the time especially in beginning but I kept going with it as coming down in day and my weight loss was rapid and impressive - and by end even my fbgs were nearer the rest.
Keep going and experimenting till you find what works for you.

Reactions: vanillapie

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of days to catch up on.
Wednesday
Bed 7.9 FBG 7.3. A bit weird this bug. Every night I get hoarse and croak. Temperature comes and goes but I don't feel too unwell. Daytime figures are fine. Anyway
B. None - had the school run then the chiropodist, straight to Aqua fit , gym and finally got back in time for a quick bite before picking No 1 up from school.
L. Late on slice Hovis lower carb seeded with mortadella and a wee bit coleslaw.
D. Remains of a prawn cocktail, fresh anchovies, slice smoked salmon, 1/2 avocado, lettuce, Santini tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, 2 Walnuts and the remains of that delicious Tesco Edamame and cauliflower crush.
Today - Thursday bed 7.3 FBG was also 7.3. Finally got back in the 4's during the day.
B. Missed again - school sports and No 2 had the first of 3 early morning Transitions from pre school to school.
L. 1/2 Mattesons smoked sausage with 2 scrambled eggs. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Stir fry vegetables with chilli chicken.
Halo Top , 6 raspberries.
A wee prosecco.

And finally for @Goonergal - when my SIL worked in Edinburgh Zoo there was a guy called Andy Robinson who used to travel with Hercules the bear. The bear used to live in his house. That apart , when they came back from appearances abroad Hercules had to go into quarantine in the Zoo. MIL 's statement to SIL
"How can you work with Herpes the bear there?".

Reactions: DJC3 and vanillapie

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Not so much 'breakfast' but had a mini Jarslberg and a Peperami this morning. As mentioned a few posts up I'm finding that a small snack in the morning helps to regulate my sugars.
L: Low carb bagel with turkey, Leerdammer, bacon and spinach
D: Pepperoni crisps, chicken and bacon mayonnaise, brie, lettuce, cucumber
Snacks: PhD Smart white chocolate blondie bar
And a couple of black coffees sweetened with Natvia.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 8.6 FBG 7.6 but daytime is high 4's low 5's so obviously bug still causing issues. Still getting hoarse and croaky at night.

B. Remains of the anchovies, prawn cocktail and smoked salmon with mini mozzarella pearls and 4 Santini tomatoes. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
Hubby regards this as a very odd breakfast but I like it.
L. Nothing - has to get DIL to a middle of nowhere appointment, then get No 1 grandson from school (1/2 day on Fridays). Then get DIL to work from middle of nowhere then off to swimming with grandson.
D. Having deposited everyone home dinner will consist of the remains of the stir fried vegetables and chilli chicken from yesterday. I think a wee prosecco is called for too.
@DJC3 and @Goonergal MIL saying of the day. There is a cemetery nearby called Mount Vernon expect to MIL who always called it Mount Vermin!
I should explain it was a waste of time correcting her as she just went on with the wrong words. Plus it was fun trying to work out what she meant sometimes.

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow ianpspurs, as a type 2 diet controlled, if I ever got 5.8 I would be in Heaven. 6.5 is the lowest reading I have recorded in three years ! Well done I say !!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

@maglil55 keep the MIL sayings coming! And hope your throat clears up soon.

OMAD continues - it’s working, managed to drop 1kg this week. Will see how long I can go. Couple of challenges coming up, including my sister staying on Sunday.

Dinner tonight was fathead pizza with pepperoni and Polish sausage topping followed by 17g Montezuma’s Absolute Black 100% chocolate with orange and cocoa nibs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the last 2 days have been very interesting.

Thursday
1pm Chorizo crisps and cream cheese
6pm beef burger, out at great pub with extended family. Also succumbed to half the chip portion and coleslaw blob. Absolutely delicious! Drank water. Terrible indigestion all night, and a sweaty bg dip at 3am which woke me up. All entirely self inflicted! Lol.

Friday
3pm cream cheese and lumpfish caviar on a GF crispbread (4g carbs). Not had ‘caviar’ before. Saw it in Tescos and thought worth sampling. Thought it was great! Mr B didn’t. Been teasing me about my posh expensive tastes since.
7pm will be pan fried duck breasts, with poss a little homemade low carb cranberry sauce, if i can find it in the freezer. I froze it in tablespoon portions back in early December (cranberries, orange zest and erythritol).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can hear again after syringing - bit sore still but getting better and bgs good and stable so infection must have gone.
Breakfast just coffee and cream - busy
Lunch mushroom omlette
Dinner pork shoulder and cauliflower cheese followed by low carb lemon drizzle and cream plus glass dry red.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried to change it up a little today so I had breakfast then jumped on the bike. OK worked a bit from a highish fbg base (5.3). Lunch worked better (4.4). See what happens later and tomorrow but switching between IF, OMAD and eating breakfast may work now I am around 22 bmi and slightly below.
B: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk; 3 large flat mushrooms cooked in butter; 3 eggs scrambled with double cream;
MMS: Mug filter coffee with 30 mls double cream and vanilla extract
L: Homemade high fibre toffee and raspberry bar; 2 pints water
MAS: Travel mug coffee with double cream and triple zero stevia
D Salmon fillet cooked in sous vide (skin crisped with blow torch); Asparagus; Kale crisps; Pan fried (in butter) little gem and cherry tomatoes; Strawberries and clotted cream
@shelley262 glad to hear you can hear and infection appears to be clear (ing)

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, happy Friday :)

Weirdly high blood sugars all day. Think it might be that PhD bar.. maybe Maltitol not so good for me.

L: Low carb bagel with turkey, brie, bacon and spinach
D: Chicken and chorizo kebabs, feta, lettuce and cucumber
Snacks: Red Leicester cheese mini, 2 squares 90% Lindt
And a Cadbury's Highlight's mocha with cream.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can hear again after syringing - bit sore still but getting better and bgs good and stable so infection must have gone.
Breakfast just coffee and cream - busy
Lunch mushroom omlette
Dinner pork shoulder and cauliflower cheese followed by low carb lemon drizzle and cream plus glass dry red.
Glad to read you are feeling better now and that your bgs are behaving too.

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
Livlife toast with peanut butter for breakfast
Pork and herb sausage pattie (left over from last night), chicken, chorizo, gherkins, tomato, peppers, salami crisps and mayo for lunch
Adonis brownie as a snack this afternoon
Low carb bagels filled with bacon, omelette, cheese this evening

Attachments

• 83F0C557-5726-4CC5-AA8F-3154022F7D44.jpeg
    83F0C557-5726-4CC5-AA8F-3154022F7D44.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 211
  • C82151B5-DC2B-4F13-B26D-1CACE2FDAB6A.jpeg
    C82151B5-DC2B-4F13-B26D-1CACE2FDAB6A.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 4A1CCA53-5E1F-4FB6-A357-2DDD92B84665.jpeg
    4A1CCA53-5E1F-4FB6-A357-2DDD92B84665.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 201