Refused blood test due to perceived inaccuracy of test meters

Hampshire_Lad

Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 9 months ago and my last HBA1C blood test was 3 months ago and around the 50 mark.

I've been testing my blood glucose levels before and after meals, but recently the results have been higher than normal in the 9s and 10s. I've also been feeling a lot more tired than usual so I asked my DRs surgery if I could have a blood test. The reply I got was "No, you had one 3 months ago and you have to wait another 3 months for another as they are half yearly"

When I mentioned that my Codefree BG meter had been giving me high readings the Dr told me not to rely on it, as test meters are more often than not inaccurate and cause needless worry to people. He then advised not to use one.

Has anyone else on here been given advice like that at all? Can patients be refused blood tests do you think or should I ask for a second opinion? And are test meters a waste of time as the Dr implied?
Thanks.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 9 months ago and my last HBA1C blood test was 3 months ago and around the 50 mark.

I've been testing my blood glucose levels before and after meals, but recently the results have been higher than normal in the 9s and 10s. I've also been feeling a lot more tired than usual so I asked my DRs surgery if I could have a blood test. The reply I got was "No, you had one 3 months ago and you have to wait another 3 months for another as they are half yearly"

When I mentioned that my Codefree BG meter had been giving me high readings the Dr told me not to rely on it, as test meters are more often than not inaccurate and cause needless worry to people. He then advised not to use one.

Has anyone else on here been given advice like that at all? Can patients be refused blood tests do you think or should I ask for a second opinion? And are test meters a waste of time as the Dr implied?
Thanks.
Meters are not completely accurate but are a valuable aid to BG control. The Hba1c is done after a minimum of 3 months because that's how long the red blood cells live.

Reactions: Prem51

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I requested an HbA1c after 3 months and it was given. I have now requested another one after a further 3 months and I'm having that in 3 weeks time. My view is that you should ask again! I trust my Codefree meter and I wouldn't be without it. I even get the strips on prescription so my GP must trust it too!

Reactions: dbr10 and Gannet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few people have been told that testing isn't necessary (because of course if it were then they would be obliged to prescribe the meter and strips). I have tested almost since diagnosis and still do 2 or 3 times a day and I would not be in the position I currently am without it. I have always used hthe same meter and have been quite happy with the results it gives. It almost the same as the one the DN uses at our surgery so I reckon if it's good enough for them...

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
GPs use the same sort of meters in their surgeries if they so inacurate as to be unreliable why then do they use them.

The glucose meter gives a snapshot of what your blood sugars are at any given moment the HbA1c gives an average value over the past two to three months and will not tell you how you react to a food or how high your blood sugars are going or for that matter how low.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Hampshire_Lad - I wonder if your doctor wasn't clear you are also experiencing increased fatigue. It might be helpful to have another conversation, focusing on the symptoms you are experiencing, rather than focusing on testing, which, in my view is extremely important to us, but he seems to reject.

Please don't think I'm suggesting you fib to him/here, but ensure he understands you are having these symptoms and you aren't just looking for a "bonus" blood test.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do..

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
image.jpg
I'm a type one diabetic and I find the blood test meters are all over the place.
Here's an example;
The meter that corresponded to the way I felt was the OneTouch Ultra 2. That has now been withdrawn and I can't find another one that works as well.
Very frustrating.
I don't know why the manufactures don't ask us actual diabetics what we are looking for in a meter. Huge market for long term, very active and sporty diabetics out there.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25592 I'm a type one diabetic and I find the blood test meters are all over the place.
Here's an example;
The meter that corresponded to the way I felt was the OneTouch Ultra 2. That has now been withdrawn and I can't find another one that works as well.
Very frustrating.
I don't know why the manufactures don't ask us actual diabetics what we are looking for in a meter. Huge market for long term, very active and sporty diabetics out there.
These results are 39 minutes apart or did you forget to set the times correctly?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi @Hampshire_Lad The fact that you are lot more tired than usual suggests that the meter is doing its job! I can honestly tell you that had meters not come in in the late 1970s, I would not be writing this now, let alone live the life resulting from careful monitoring for 35 years. All the best, West Sussex Lad.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thanks.

I think it all depends on your surgery, and on your CCG, and on the current NHS thinking (or lack of it). I have an annual blood test and that's adequate because I trust my meter which now is the FS Libre as well as my good old Accu-Check Mobile (used as a double check . . . so long as I can remember).

I know why I only get a annual test, inadequate funding. Same reason I was refused knee replacements despite severe arthritis, why I was refused referral for a cyst on my head that was getting bigger and bigger and getting more an more uncomfortable/painful. NO MONEY. No good me moaning about the N.I., Income Tax and V.A.T. I've paid from 15 to 65, that got used at the time. There's not enough money now. Sorry, whinge over.

Test meters have to be accurate within a certain tolerance, is it 15%, I can't remember. They are essential for monitoring your BG from day to day, not every 6 months or a year. If you notice changes, you can do something about. I had a private HbA1c done recently so I can compare with the NHS one done a day later. It cost £40. In a nutshell your Doctor's view is outdated, probably formed because he didn't want to prescribe the test strips, and basically wrong.

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes it is worth asking just for the blood test without a face to face appointment with the nurse/doctor (unless it throws up a problem). That's what I have. 6 monthly blood tests and 1 annual appointment with the nurse. The blood tests themselves cost the surgery peanuts. It is the face to face reviews that cost.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The blood tests themselves cost the surgery peanuts. It is the face to face reviews that cost.
YOu could ask to do privately, on some labs or even some pharmacies and it costs around 10-15€.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, quoted the wrog person. In any case a blood test for hba1c is now a costly item. A CT scan is a costly exam...

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a private HbA1c done recently so I can compare with the NHS one done a day later. It cost £40. In a nutshell your Doctor's view is outdated, probably formed because he didn't want to prescribe the test strips, and basically wrong.

I recommend Thriva for private tests!
I just got one done and it was 50% off the first test and covered: HBA1C, full cholesterol, vit D, vit b12, liver function, folate and iron!
I thought it was great value as the other hba1c private test I found online was £50, and the cholesterol was £30, so i got alot more done, for alot less!
I chose the advanced package.
I was diagnosed pre-diabetic with and hba1c of 42 last dec, got it down to 35 by next test in march with a whole food plant based diet, no oil, and the doctor said he'd erase it off my record if i got it down enough, which he did, so the next test i didn't want to risk a bad result, and get that back on my record so got it done privately! :)
https://thriva.co/i/WFGY0G630ES

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The last time I had an HbA1c
Sometimes it is worth asking just for the blood test without a face to face appointment with the nurse/doctor (unless it throws up a problem). That's what I have. 6 monthly blood tests and 1 annual appointment with the nurse. The blood tests themselves cost the surgery peanuts. It is the face to face reviews that cost.
The last time I had an HbA1c I told the receptionist I was due a scheduled test and he reprinted the test request form for the previous test rather then taking up the doctor's time for an appointment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I had an HbA1c

The last time I had an HbA1c I told the receptionist I was due a scheduled test and he reprinted the test request form for the previous test rather then taking up the doctor's time for an appointment.

I have never seen a doctor for diabetes - not once. I was given my diagnosis by a nurse and have seen her ever since. Nowadays it is just once a year. The 6 monthly blood tests I have are automatic. I get a computer generated letter asking me to make an appointment at the blood clinic, and when I arrive, the phlebotomist has the green blood test form already filled in. My results are on-line the next day. I then make an appointment to see the nurse once a year. I imagine that if my blood tests showed something amiss, I would get a phone call, but so far so good.