Type 1 Sharp box

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I think it's area dependent. Our Borough Council waste recycling team in South Wales will fine people putting sharps in the general waste. I acquired my sharps box (FOC) from a company called SRCL Clinical Waste Removal, they can be found on the web. I phone them periodically and they give me a collection date, pickup my full box and leave an empty Sharps container. Works very well. I just leave the container outside my door in a bag and they replace with an empty one.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
I use my local council's service in Wandsworth. I just call their disposal group and they come and collect my sharps bin and leave a replacement.

geoff.baxter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a T2D and live in Leicestershire. I have been injecting insulin since January this year. When I started my DSN set up a repeat prescription for all my requirements, including sharps bins. I can simply order them on my repeat prescriptions. When I have filled 3 sharps containers, I simply phone a number on the prescription label on the box and the local council collect them within a few days. I registered with the local council online for sharps bin collection. Simple, easy, effective and cost free.

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago I got given a sharp box and it’s not been put on my prescription and they’re not giving me one until it is. Does anyone not have a sharp box, where do you put used needles etc
Hi Lorna,
No needle box problems here in Germany, where an empty box is supplied free of charge with each box of needles by the pharmacist and without a prescription. All needles, test strips and other consumables are provided at no cost. Health insurance covers the costs 100%.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1. Sharps box on repeat prescription, when full drop at GP. Leeds!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It drives me mad that there is no standard system of disposal of sharps across the country under the same NHS. The varied posts here shows there is utter confusion and lack of proper information. I used to be able to drop off my full sharps bin to my GP practice (the most logical option) until they stopped accepting them. Now I have to phone a number to arrange collection from my home. Imagine the cost of collecting from numerous addresses as opposed to a few GP practices who have regular collections anyway!

craftyolddot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In Southwark London you phone the council where they collect and leave new. I have been doing this for over 15 years at no cost to me.

Skipster

In Southwark London you phone the council where they collect and leave new. I have been doing this for over 15 years at no cost to me.
I also live in Southwark and am waiting for my first ever collection. It is very frustrating that I have to work from home or take a day off and wait for this rather than some place I can drop my full box and swap it for another.

craftyolddot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also live in Southwark and am waiting for my first ever collection. It is very frustrating that I have to work from home or take a day off and wait for this rather than some place I can drop my full box and swap it for another.
I just leave the full one on the doorstep the night before,the new one is left in its place you don't have to be in.