Skin complications

J Dub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else get inflamed hair follicles due to diabetes?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Yes. I have had folliculitis a few times. Once on my scalp, once on my neck, and a couple of other places. It's horrible. I'm female but it's probably worse for men since they have to shave their faces and they may be more at risk of them, I don't know.

I use basic self care at home but if it looks like it needs it, off I go to the GP to get antibiotics. I don't think it's caused by lack of hygiene or even necessarily high blood glucose levels. Just one of those things.

J Dub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I have had folliculitis a few times. Once on my scalp, once on my neck, and a couple of other places. It's horrible. I'm female but it's probably worse for men since they have to shave their faces and they may be more at risk of them, I don't know.

I use basic self care at home but if it looks like it needs it, off I go to the GP to get antibiotics. I don't think it's caused by lack of hygiene or even necessarily high blood glucose levels. Just one of those things.
I tend to get them mostly on my chest area where I have alot of hair located. I told my doc about it he says it's a bacterial infection due to diabetes. I hate getting these ugly bumps

Reactions: Struma

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I tend to get them mostly on my chest area where I have alot of hair located. I told my doc about it he says it's a bacterial infection due to diabetes. I hate getting these ugly bumps
Yeah they are not nice and can be quite painful at times. I use an over the counter product called Crystaderm. It contains hydrogen peroxide, which is basically bleach, and its amazing how well it works sometimes if I catch the infection early. I apply the cream generously at night, and cover it with a dressing to keep it there if necessary. Next morning the bump has often reduced in size.

I recommend going to the doctor or a nurse if it's bad though, because antibiotic tablets are sometimes needed. You can get prescription antibiotic creams but they don't really work, in my experience.

I once had one of these infections on my leg and it turned into an abscess, requiring surgery to drain. In a case like that, you should go straight to A&E if you're unable to get a doctor or nurse appointment that day. I was told that diabetics are at increased risk of skin abscesses.

Reactions: J Dub