Type 2, Gliclizide

Tinalina

Hi. I have been type 2 for years now, had a gastric bypass nearly 3 years ago now and lost 6 stone. Recently my hba1c rose again and doc put me on 40mg gliclizide in morn and eve. Eve is OK, but morn I keep crashing at same time, no matter what I eat for breakfast. Its been a couple of weeks now and it's not settling. Any advice?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Indeed, phone your surgical team to get their advice.
Because even though your hba1c levels, it is possible that you have now started to eat more unhealthy for you as you should.
It could be indicative that you need to use the drug to get it back down.
Has your doctor advised you about dietary restrictions regarding carbs, sugars, fats and proteins? That is why, I have advised to get in touch with your surgical team rather than your GP.

Of course, I cannot diagnose, but I would not rule out reactive hypoglycaemia, as it can occur after surgery.

equipoise

Hi. I have been type 2 for years now, had a gastric bypass nearly 3 years ago now and lost 6 stone. Recently my hba1c rose again and doc put me on 40mg gliclizide in morn and eve. Eve is OK, but morn I keep crashing at same time, no matter what I eat for breakfast. Its been a couple of weeks now and it's not settling. Any advice?
I've had similar. Halving the morning dose worked for me - perhaps your GP might suggest dropping the morning dose altogether. Crashing with a low dose of gliclazide is a GOOD sign, remember