Libre Query

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hoping someone can help here. As Freestyle is not currently available to new customers I have been
considering downloading the App and using my mobile as a reader.

After reviewing the Abbott website I am unsure if doing it this way would mean that I would always
have to use my mobile as a the reader or if I could swap to libre reader if they ever become available.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help

Reactions: paganlady

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using your phone for one sensor does not affect what you use to start the second/third/fourth/etc ones :)
So you would not be limiting yourself, only thing it limits is if you start a sensor with a phone, the reader cant read that particular sensor.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that. If you start the sensor with a reader can it then be read with your phone ?

I am going on holiday soon and won't be driving during that time. The thought of not having to prick my fingers during that period really appeals.

Thanks again

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, that way round means both will work. NB if you start with the reader you MUST scan with the phone in the first 60 minutes to permit access with the phone.

FWIW I do both at the same time so I don't forget; activate with reader, scan with phone immediately.

HTH

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hoping someone can help here. As Freestyle is not currently available to new customers I have been
considering downloading the App and using my mobile as a reader.

After reviewing the Abbott website I am unsure if doing it this way would mean that I would always
have to use my mobile as a the reader or if I could swap to libre reader if they ever become available.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help

My trust don't fund freestyle libre so I have been funding myself, like you I was to late to register and had to buy my sensors from the pharmacy as Abbot were only supplying sensors on prescriptions. Now the only sensors I have found for sale are o Amazon at £74. To rich for me so I'm back to finger pricking, argh!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi purplesally. Thanks for that. I was looking at using the app on my phone as goodness only knows when Abbott will lift their restrictions.

I will also be self funding as my health authority has not made a decision on whether to fund either. They are going to decide next month when some data on cost benefits becomes available.

You can get sensors from Superdrug (£35 each) All you need to give them is a VAT exemption form

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi purplesally. Thanks for that. I was looking at using the app on my phone as goodness only knows when Abbott will lift their restrictions.

What restrictions?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The ones about only selling to existing customers. When you go to their website and try to order a message comes saying due to high demand they are only selling to existing customers

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My trust don't fund freestyle libre so I have been funding myself, like you I was to late to register and had to buy my sensors from the pharmacy as Abbot were only supplying sensors on prescriptions. Now the only sensors I have found for sale are o Amazon at £74. To rich for me so I'm back to finger pricking, argh!
Hi you should be able to get Sensors from any pharmacy - the independent ones can open an account on the Libre website - while the big chains like Lloyd’s Boots Rowlands Asda all have accounts open go and the pharmacy to get you some

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I have been able source sensors just not the reader. I will keep trying

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering, although there are sensor supply restrictions, does that apply to readers too? If chemists can get a hold of sensors, is it worthwhile asking them if they can sell a reader too?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks will keep trying to source a reader

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou for sending me this link. Like you I am unsure if this would work here.

I will contact Abbott tomorrow and ask that question

Thanks

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I have been trying to source a reader today without any luck. I will try my DSN tomorrow.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
There's been a few posts from people who work abroad finding that UK bought readers don't work with sensors bought in other countries. Seems to be something to do with local licensing conditions.
I've only used one sensor not from my native region, privately funded as a safety net in case mine didn't arrive in time that annoyingly arrived on the same day as the package I was expecting, and I had no issues reading it. Do you know which regions allegedly have licensing issues?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I do not know which regions

I spoke to Abbott and they could not give a date when they would be supplying new customers.

Very Frustrating

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I have been trying to source a reader today without any luck. I will try my DSN tomorrow.
For those of us who can't get hold of a Libre Reader, there is the possibility of using a mobile phone instead. The phone needs to have NFC capacity and also be able to download the app.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Alexandra I have now downloaded the app and it is working ok. The readings in the app are higher than with my meter which I know is to be expected.

Scanning with my phone is a bit ackward otherwise ok

Maybe one day readers will be available. I noticed there were some for sale on eBay from Germany. I am sure I have read somewhere (I cannot remember where ) that readers were only compatible for sensors from the same country